• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

Freezing drizzle and upper 20s in Augusta at present.  After 6 hours of (very) occasional mood flakes yesterday, steady S- began about 2 PM though it began to accumulate an hour later.  Measured 2.7" with 0.25" LE at 9 PM, another 0.5" of rimey snow/sleet with a thin zr cap at 7 this morning, total 3.2" with 0.42" LE, perhaps 0.02" of that as non-frozen.  At 6:30 saw that temps were teens up north, 20s/30s elsewhere except EPO, which was reporting 55.

23.4F  (down 8 from high mid morning)   Snow flurries.   Storm total 2" but probably was a bit more before sleet compacted the late afternoon snow.

(How is that really measured?  Lets say I had had 2" of fluff yesterday PM and then an hour of moderate sleet to compress the pack quickly back to 1".   Is the storm total 2" or 1"  if I don't go out to measure before compaction?)

Event totals: 4.7” Snow/0.84” L.E.

It looks like we’re moving toward the back side of this storm cycle now, and the snow density this morning has come down quite a bit.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.1

Snow Density: 9.0% H2O

Temperature: 26.4 F

Sky:  Light Snow (3 to 10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

(How is that really measured?  Lets say I had had 2" of fluff yesterday PM and then an hour of moderate sleet to compress the pack quickly back to 1".   Is the storm total 2" or 1"  if I don't go out to measure before compaction?)

You are supposed to report the greatest new depth attained during the collection interval, which in some cases may be limited by whether you’re there to be able to catch the measurement or not, but if a certain depth is attained and then it’s compressed or melts, you still report that greatest depth.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

23.4F  (down 8 from high mid morning)   Snow flurries.   Storm total 2" but probably was a bit more before sleet compacted the late afternoon snow.

You had 2”.  Its the highest depth... makes no difference if you went to sleet, or the temp went to 60F and it melted in minutes, lol....if you had 2” of snow at some point, that’s your snow total.  Inevitably it’s all going to melt anyway at some point...whether that 2” is there for 3 months or only an hour doesn’t matter.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You had 2”.  Its the highest depth... makes no difference if you went to sleet, or the temp went to 60F and it melted in minutes, lol....if you had 2” of snow at some point, that’s your snow total.  Inevitably it’s all going to melt anyway at some point...whether that 2” is there for 3 months or only an hour doesn’t matter.

I've had the same thought as Gene... there are times when it's impossible to know - I'm not getting up at 3 am to measure, so if it snows all night then changes to rain at 4 am, I won't know what the real snowfall was. But it's just for fun anyways... 

Event totals: 5.1” Snow/0.85” L.E.

We’ve still got some flakes out there, and the models suggest that there’s potential for them to continue through tomorrow, so we’ll see if anything else accumulates to finish off this event.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Storm total was 4.0" with the 0.8" of afternoon fluff.  Total LE was 0.54" with my best estimate that 0.46" was frozen, the rest ZR as the temp never went above 28 during the event.  Morning low at home was about 8F and with winds about 15G25 that's WCI near -10.  If the winds quit and clouds delay, will make a run at zero tonight.  Had a low of 2F on the 15th last year, and the -3 a week later on T-Day is my earliest at zero or below.

Impressively cold day today.   High was 19.3, low was 6.6

Last November had some impressive cold.  I went back to look.  On 11/22/18 my high was 12.4 and low 1.7.   Although that date is a week later in the season it was more impressively cold relative to normal.

Lost my wallet and had to spend the frickin day down in  Concord for a new drivers license.  Solid snow cover here and starts thinning out pretty quickly as I went south.  Only a dusting in the shade in Concord but they sure did salt the roads.

(After this wallet fiasco I'm buying those tile things.  My brother has them and it's saved him a few times.)

14 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Impressively cold day today.   High was 19.3, low was 6.6

Last November had some impressive cold.  I went back to look.  On 11/22/18 my high was 12.4 and low 1.7.   Although that date is a week later in the season it was more impressively cold relative to normal.

Lost my wallet and had to spend the frickin day down in  Concord for a new drivers license.  Solid snow cover here and starts thinning out pretty quickly as I went south.  Only a dusting in the shade in Concord but they sure did salt the roads.

(After this wallet fiasco I'm buying those tile things.  My brother has them and it's saved him a few times.)

Almost exactly the same temps here (had 19/6), though my max-min instrument is far too small to have tenths discernable.  That mean of 12.5 is 22° BN, while last year's T-Day was 11/-3 for 27° BN.  Zero or a bit cooler this morning before the clouds arrived.

I hadn’t really been looking at much since the last storm, but I had a chance to take a peek at the weather models this morning, and it looks like we’ve got three potential snow events to consider over the next several days:

1)  Today: upper level shortwave and associated warm front

2)  Friday afternoon-Friday night: cold front and associated squalls

3)  Monday-Tuesday: potential system off the coast

At this point, the BTV NWS doesn’t really anticipate much of an effect up here with respect to the coastal system, but some of the models do suggest some fringe effects in the area, so we’ll have to let that get sorted out as we get closer in time.

25 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I hadn’t really been looking at much since the last storm, but I had a chance to take a peek at the weather models this morning, and it looks like we’ve got three potential snow events to consider over the next several days:

1)  Today: upper level shortwave and associated warm front

2)  Friday afternoon-Friday night: cold front and associated squalls

3)  Monday-Tuesday: potential system off the coast

At this point, the BTV NWS doesn’t really anticipate much of an effect up here with respect to the coastal system, but some of the models do suggest some fringe effects in the area, so we’ll have to let that get sorted out as we get closer in time.

Long live winter in NW VT

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Unexpected snow here. Winter lives 

It's the warm air coming in aloft.  Just gray and cold here, 22F.  I don't know what is wrong with me but it's only Nov 14th and I'm kind of done with the cold and snow.  Why am I thinking about days on the beach and a warm climate?.  Something definitely wrong here, I need to go see a therapist.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's the warm air coming in aloft.  Just gray and cold here, 22F.  I don't know what is wrong with me but it's only Nov 14th and I'm kind of done with the cold and snow.  Why am I thinking about days on the beach and a warm climate?.  Something definitely wrong here, I need to go see a therapist.

Had you been seeing Dr.Dews?