• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

I'm surprised that Gray decided to opt out from putting up WWA for at least the northern part of Grafton County in NH.  Some of the highest terrain around.  Kind of jumps out at you.  Seems to me it's a no brainer to add that. Everything I look at shows me at least several inches of snow in that area.  Guess there is plenty of time to adjust overnight.

Untitled.jpg

We were in the garage doing some winter prep on the vehicles and I got a text message that we were under a Winter Weather Advisory for the upcoming storm.  On the updated advisories map I can see they’ve got a mixture of Winter Weather Advisories and Winter Storm Warnings for the area.  The updated projected accumulations map has just a touch of that 12-18” shading near some of the peaks, with our area at the 8-12” level.  The point forecast here suggests accumulations through Tuesday of 6 to 12 inches, with the potential for some mixed precipitation, which seems generally in line with the map.

10NOV19D.jpg

10NOV19E.jpg

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

We were in the garage doing some winter prep on the vehicles and I got a text message that we were under a Winter Weather Advisory for the upcoming storm.  On the updated advisories map I can see they’ve got a mixture of Winter Weather Advisories and Winter Storm Warnings for the area.  The updated projected accumulations map has just a touch of that 12-18” shading near some of the peaks, with our area at the 8-12” level.  The point forecast here suggests accumulations through Tuesday of 6 to 12 inches, with the potential for some mixed precipitation, which seems generally in line with the map.

10NOV19D.jpg

10NOV19E.jpg

That is curious going with an Advisory while forecasting 6-9” for Washington County... especially since warning criteria is 6”?  Same up in the NE Kingdom.  

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'm surprised that Gray decided to opt out from putting up WWA for at least the northern part of Grafton County in NH.  Some of the highest terrain around.  Kind of jumps out at you.  Seems to me it's a no brainer to add that. Everything I look at shows me at least several inches of snow in that area.  Guess there is plenty of time to adjust overnight.

Untitled.jpg

Probably next shift indeed, The areas in the HWO are still the most uncertain.

Looks like squalls heading to VT with cold front. 
Going to look like deep winter by Tuesday morning with a good pack. I haven’t looked at the physics with snow growth, but even if it’s not fluff, it should have decent water content I think until the arctic air really moves in and it cools off aloft.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That is curious going with an Advisory while forecasting 6-9” for Washington County... especially since warning criteria is 6”?  Same up in the NE Kingdom.  

I just figured it was because of the potential mixed precipitation, and indeed if you work your way through the point forecasts moving eastward in the county from here, the projected accumulations do drop off a bit.  With county-sized chunks of real estate, I’m sure it’s tough for the BTV NWS folks to decide where to draw the line and categorize each county.  For extreme cases like eastern/western Chittenden, Addison, etc. they have subdivided the counties when needed as I recall.

Event totals: 0.2” Snow/0.04” L.E.

The first salvo of snow from this cold front began late yesterday evening, with a mix of rain and snow falling that transitioned to all snow as the temperatures fell back below freezing.  This morning there was a dense refrozen accumulation on the boards with additional light snow/flurries falling.  Some areas of snow from the previous storm did make it through to this event, so we’ll see what happens with this next run of snow in terms of how long this stretch of snow on the ground continues.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 30.6 F

Sky:  Light Snow/Flurries

Snow at the stake: Trace

34.9/29   Dark overcast.     Models have a very sharp snow line right through my area.  Really nothing 10 miles south and several inches the other way north.  Will be interesting.  Wood stove going full force while it's in the 60's in part of SNE.

Snow from the other day has now melted but looking at Mt Cardigan just west of me.  At 3100 the summit is still snowcovered.

21 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Rt302 hadn't been plowed, I was so nervous driving home from work. I was driving 25mph. I've  been texting a coworker. She had to pick up her son after work and decided just to stay at her in laws instead of trying to drive home. Apparently she saw a handful of cars off the road

Welcome to NNE!!! Not texting while driving i hope, RT 302 is like that often.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, alex said:

Shhh don’t tell her. We don’t want her changing her mind!!! 

Earlier I heard Franconia Notch was really bad too. 

I'm at 30.5F with freezing drizzle.  The 1/2" of snow earlier was very dense and is mixed with sleet too.  My road has not been treated and is compacted icy crap.  Much of my town is 600 feet lower than me so it's probably just wet below my elevation.

1 minute ago, PaulyFromPlattsburgh said:

Heavy snow. 22 degrees in Plattsburgh NY. Expecting 12 inches

Welcome!  Plattsburgh hasn’t been represented here before. Will be nice to have obs from the other side of the CPV. Seems like it’s colder over there than at BTV. 

3.5” as of 8:00 pm. Measured on top of the car and the deck. 

• Like 1