Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I saw those lights.  I don'y have a heated shield or else I would have bought one.  I really liked the $20,000 trailer outside, pretty sure my wife wouldn't have appreciated the 2nd mortgage I would have had to take out to pay for it though.  lol 

I would say probably not.............:lol:, There was some good deals there if i was in the market for another sled from what i saw, A 4 place trailer is our next purchase if the right one comes along  but i'm not spending that much for one...........:)

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

I was hoping to see some on the Kanc today but it was not to be. I think the top of that road is 2800’. It was mid 40’s up there. Mt. Washington was pretty well cloaked above tree line but that was the only snow we saw. 

Over 20 years since I took that route, but IIRC the sign at the pass read 2,855'.  With Alex to the north reporting snowline about 3k, I'm not surprised the Kanc had none. 

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Over 20 years since I took that route, but IIRC the sign at the pass read 2,855'.  With Alex to the north reporting snowline about 3k, I'm not surprised the Kanc had none. 

I didn't even see any above that, only above the treeline on Mt. Washington.  I think PF said the snowline was around 2500' on Mansfield so I was basing my hopes on that.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I would say probably not.............:lol:, There was some good deals there if i was in the market for another sled from what i saw, A 4 place trailer is our next purchase if the right one comes along  but i'm not spending that much for one...........:)

That big black trailer out front was tricked out with just about everything, as it should be for that amount of $$.  I have a 12' hybrid that I like a lot but would like a 3-4 place one.  That way my wife could ride more than just from home.  

I'm always sort of in the market for a sled upgrade.  Never a brand new one but for a good deal if I think it makes sense.  I'm kicking myself a little over the deal I missed out on in Epping.  A dealer had a 2014 900 ACE with 5400 miles on it for $5K.  Had just been serviced.  I wasn't ready and didn't have a trailer with me to bring it home.  I think that would have been a great option for me. Those ACE motors are bullet  proof.  My wife and son both have 600 ACEs that are great.  Oh well, looks like I'm with my 2007 Arctic Cat for another year.

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That big black trailer out front was tricked out with just about everything, as it should be for that amount of $$.  I have a 12' hybrid that I like a lot but would like a 3-4 place one.  That way my wife could ride more than just from home.  

I'm always sort of in the market for a sled upgrade.  Never a brand new one but for a good deal if I think it makes sense.  I'm kicking myself a little over the deal I missed out on in Epping.  A dealer had a 2014 900 ACE with 5400 miles on it for $5K.  Had just been serviced.  I wasn't ready and didn't have a trailer with me to bring it home.  I think that would have been a great option for me. Those ACE motors are bullet  proof.  My wife and son both have 600 ACEs that are great.  Oh well, looks like I'm with my 2007 Arctic Cat for another year.

A friend on mine had snow checked the 900 ACE turbo this spring,  (162hp) I know some others that have the 900 and 600 ACE and are very satisfied with them, I'm still on some old iron from 2007 as well.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

A friend on mine had snow checked the 900 ACE turbo this spring,  (162hp) I know some others that have the 900 and 600 ACE and are very satisfied with them, I'm still on some old iron from 2007 as well.

I don't need that many HP.  The non-turbo would be plenty for me.  I think that's 90hp.  My Jag has a 4 stroke 1100 and it works fine for me.  The addition of a turbo packs a lot of stuff into a small space under the cowl.

24 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don't need that many HP.  The non-turbo would be plenty for me.  I think that's 90hp.  My Jag has a 4 stroke 1100 and it works fine for me.  The addition of a turbo packs a lot of stuff into a small space under the cowl.

I don't need it either on the top end, I like to have it in the mid range though.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I flew my drone up over my house to take a look north towards the  Whites and snow cover.  The only snow I could see was the very  top of the Franconia Range and distant Mount Washington.  I couldn't even see any snow on top of Cannon.  Of course I'm looking north 35 miles so if there is an inch or so I'm not going to be able to see it.  Still it's neat to fly the drone a few hundred feet over my house and be able to see most of the Whites to the north.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

October has been pretty much dead on normal temperatures up here.  Average temps right now are 54/33... which is smack in the middle of the transition from nice COC and winter. 

Thanks for the update on the temps, I guess it has seemed pretty typical.  We did put the heat on for a few days last week, but I turned it back off because we haven’t really needed it this week, and that’s often how things go.  For fun, we always try to see if we can make it to Halloween before having to turn on the heat, but even in the warmest Octobers we never really get there.  There are generally those stretches where it gets cloudy and rainy, and once the house isn’t naturally getting up to 60 F in the day is when we typically make the call.

The weather has really been fantastic for soccer season, and that Columbus Day weekend period was insane with the combination of foliage and weather – the levels of visitors and traffic around here definitely spoke to how everything came together.

We got that typical October snow during the chilly period last week, and your mountain updates were great.  It’s always nice when we can get one of those slightly more robust October events that give you enough to get out on the boards for some early powder (although I’m sure some folks got out on the junkboards and rock skis for the last one), but it doesn’t look like we’re getting one of those this year.  The next shot at snow seems to be around the end of the month/beginning of November.

10/20 is the average date for first frozen precipitation at our place, so we’ll definitely be later than average this season.  It’s quite the difference from last year at this time – last year we already were onto our third accumulating valley snowfall of the season by this point.

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

Dumped 1.05" at 6:30 when I left for Orono, guessing another 1/2" after.  Caught up to the heavy RA (and heavy traffic) about 10 miles south of BGR - a rain/spray white-out at times.

The above guess was way conservative - found 1.18" in the gauge that evening for a 2.23" total.  Merely October doing its thing - month total now 6.19", a half inch above the average and maybe another inch to add.  Average temp now 1.5° BN but sliding up toward normal.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks for the update on the temps, I guess it has seemed pretty typical.  We did put the heat on for a few days last week, but I turned it back off because we haven’t really needed it this week, and that’s often how things go.  For fun, we always try to see if we can make it to Halloween before having to turn on the heat, but even in the warmest Octobers we never really get there.  There are generally those stretches where it gets cloudy and rainy, and once the house isn’t naturally getting up to 60 F in the day is when we typically make the call.

The weather has really been fantastic for soccer season, and that Columbus Day weekend period was insane with the combination of foliage and weather – the levels of visitors and traffic around here definitely spoke to how everything came together.

We got that typical October snow during the chilly period last week, and your mountain updates were great.  It’s always nice when we can get one of those slightly more robust October events that give you enough to get out on the boards for some early powder (although I’m sure some folks got out on the junkboards and rock skis for the last one), but it doesn’t look like we’re getting one of those this year.  The next shot at snow seems to be around the end of the month/beginning of November.

10/20 is the average date for first frozen precipitation at our place, so we’ll definitely be later than average this season.  It’s quite the difference from last year at this time – last year we already were onto our third accumulating valley snowfall of the season by this point.

I try to keep the heat off until 11/1 too but I had a cold and was shivering to beat the band and had to break down to get warm.  It's off again now.  

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I try to keep the heat off until 11/1 too but I had a cold and was shivering to beat the band and had to break down to get warm.  It's off again now.  

It’s definitely not worth trying to push it when it comes to health – I wouldn’t think twice about it if I was in that scenario.  Right around 60 F is what we find as a reasonable threshold when we’re just having fun to see how far we might push it in the fall, and last week we were down in that 58-59 F range without any obvious daytime warmups, so it was an easy call.  Below about 60 F we find that “room temp” tap water starts to have a chill that makes it tough to use for dishes or whatever, and that’s one of the first places I notice the temperature issue.  Also, if I’ve got to work on my computer, grading, or whatever, I’ll turn it on because even borderline temperatures are frustrating if you have to sit still for a while to work vs. moving around.

• Like 1

Just want to keep the NNE thread alive and kicking:)

Winds were intense today-I was chatting with Dendrite a few months ago about anemometers as I want to get one on my roof, haven't picked one up yet, wish I had it today.

Solid 8 hours of freight train roars and wind. Had to be in the 50-60mph range in gusts.(Maybe I'm overestimating which I know is easy to due with winds-thats why I need the anemometer)Its just constant hour after hour. It's amazing how much the trees can bend without breaking--must be some acclimation as its windy often here from that direction.

Somehow had 1.31" in the gauge even with those downsloping winds, I thought the rain was blown to Syracuse..ha.  

It is an interesting "inland" wind zone.  Seeing RUT gust to 50+ (44kts) and DDH with almost 12 hours of 20-40mph gusts... it usually means stronger stuff on the actual western slope communities. 

The SE downslope flow can lead to some legit winds, with a frequency that is more rare for deeper interior NE climatology.

10 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just want to keep the NNE thread alive and kicking:)

Relative to averages, it’s been a bit of a slow start to the snow in my area since we’re already past the mean dates of first frozen trace (10/20) and first accumulating snowfall (10/26), but October can of course be quite the wild card in the snowfall area.

Unless the models are totally off their rockers though, that first week of November would offer multiple chances for snow with the combination of temperatures, flow off the lakes, and minor disturbances.  Even at our place down in the valley we average more than a foot of snow in November, but the S.D. is high, and snowfall can be very lean in certain patterns, so it’s still tenuous.

Snow chances showing up in the models inside of a week now is a good sign though, and it’s not the sort of stuff that’s dependent on some big storm forming, it’s just part of the expected flow and minor ripples.  Those setups can be pretty reliable for some flakes at longer lead times, but we’ll still want to see that the models hold onto that general scheme over the next few days.

With no imminent chances, I’ve been holding off on getting all the snow measurement stuff set up for the winter, but this is probably the week to get moving on it.

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right @powderfreak you cant get much closer to the western slopes than where I am now.  DDH is a mile or two away I think. 

image.thumb.png.eace20ba9eb1b3a7a12ee335b20445ad.png

DDH is a long way from you then... down west of Bennington.  That’s a good spot you have there right on the start of the high terrain.  Didn’t realize how close you are to Bromley.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

DDH is a long way from you then... down west of Bennington.  That’s a good spot you have there right on the start of the high terrain.  Didn’t realize how close you are to Bromley.

Sorry, meant DDH is a few miles west from the  immediate Western Slopes of Greens, not from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Right @powderfreak you cant get much closer to the western slopes than where I am now.  DDH is a mile or two away I think. 

image.thumb.png.eace20ba9eb1b3a7a12ee335b20445ad.png

That’s an incredible micro climate spot. I drive past you almost ever weekend over the winter. I always look forward to the climb to see snow differences with elevation!

That front ripped thru here at 5:00 am and knocked power out to a section of the city, 0.66" qpf fell, I had a wind gust to 41.2mph, Trash cans all over the roads with limbs, Some downed trees and leaves flying around, Temp at 4:00 am was 63/62, We are now at 50/35 after the FROPA.