• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

3.51"  final.  Feel like that is kind of maxing out on synoptic precip in the valley. 

Never lost power here but good amount of outages around here also--lots of limbs and a random tree here or there down, but nothing extreme it seems.  

No damage that I noticed around me, but winds looked to shift W/NW after midnight which is normally kind of meh here.

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

3.51"  final.  Feel like that is kind of maxing out on synoptic precip in the valley. 

Never lost power here but good amount of outages around here also--lots of limbs and a random tree here or there down, but nothing extreme it seems.  

No damage that I noticed around me, but winds looked to shift W/NW after midnight which is normally kind of meh here.

That is a lot of rain for a non-convective synoptic event, nice.  The SE flow downslope wind didn't really materialize much.  I will say it was incredibly windy in the Stowe base area all of today as the duration of north winds was pretty impressive... but nothing near damaging, ha.  Just annoying.

Well, I was just looking out from my office, and there’s a bit of an upslope wall of precipitation look along the western slopes of the Northern Greens.  It’s the first time I’ve really seen it this fall, so I looked at the radar and it’s got that appearance too.  With the temperatures just a bit above freezing along the ridgeline, I suspect there’s some mixing up there as the radar suggests:

18OCT19A.gif

40 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, I was just looking out from my office, and there’s a bit of an upslope wall of precipitation look along the western slopes of the Northern Greens.  It’s the first time I’ve really seen it this fall, so I looked at the radar and it’s got that appearance too.  With the temperatures just a bit above freezing along the ridgeline, I suspect there’s some mixing up there as the radar suggests:

18OCT19A.gif

It’s been pounding small droplet rain here at Stowe all morning.  Very wet for the radar presentation.  

It snowed down to 2,400ft overnight on Mansfield.  Snowline was down to about Tower 15 on the Gondola (Tower 18 is Rim Rock intersection).  

9635E9F2-1FB2-4F8B-9EF9-B973C7E8E8A2.thumb.jpeg.b4e6d71a7048e33bac42b82fa3fd7426.jpeg

Photo from a coworker on Toll Road inspection this morning at the top of the Quad...

032B6346-1E1C-4628-895E-64717DBB401F.thumb.jpeg.8db4e337238c0643d2707cf11c791d7a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s been pounding small droplet rain here at Stowe all morning.  Very wet for the radar presentation.  

It snowed down to 2,400ft overnight on Mansfield.  Snowline was down to about Tower 15 on the Gondola (Tower 18 is Rim Rock intersection).  

9635E9F2-1FB2-4F8B-9EF9-B973C7E8E8A2.thumb.jpeg.b4e6d71a7048e33bac42b82fa3fd7426.jpeg

Photo from a coworker on Toll Road inspection this morning at the top of the Quad...

032B6346-1E1C-4628-895E-64717DBB401F.thumb.jpeg.8db4e337238c0643d2707cf11c791d7a.jpeg

That’s great to see PF, thanks for the snow update!

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

4pm photo heading to my car on the OE gondola.... visible ground cover was still down to at least 2,300ft on the Gondola terrain.  Oddly enough the snow level seemed higher over on the Quad side by a decent bit.

72489007_10103906781610200_6521730306502

Thanks for the afternoon update PF; your intimate knowledge of the elevation markers at the resort always makes it especially informative for those of us that love the details of snow levels.  As I typically try to do, I put up a post on my website to document the October snowfall, with reference to the posts and pictures in here.  Thanks again!

I do love that it's possible to just visit winter this time of year.  It's still autumn at home, but in an hour hike with the dog (or 10-15 minute drive at work), it can be winter.

The craziest thing is nothing has melted in 2 full days despite above freezing temperatures.  There might be almost 1" of QPF in these 3" of snow.  It obviously froze very hard at one point just after the snow stopped falling, and the snow that did fall looked to be small flake, granular dense pack.  Almost like a sleety snow. 

72919601_10103908668184490_3055523486236

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I do love that it's possible to just visit winter this time of year.  It's still autumn at home, but in an hour hike with the dog (or 10-15 minute drive at work), it can be winter.

The craziest thing is nothing has melted in 2 full days despite above freezing temperatures.  There might be almost 1" of QPF in these 3" of snow.  It obviously froze very hard at one point just after the snow stopped falling, and the snow that did fall looked to be small flake, granular dense pack.  Almost like a sleety snow. 

72919601_10103908668184490_3055523486236

I was hoping to see some on the Kanc today but it was not to be. I think the top of that road is 2800’. It was mid 40’s up there. Mt. Washington was pretty well cloaked above tree line but that was the only snow we saw. 

My rose bushes are still covered in roses, my potentilla is still producing yellow flowers, and my gerbera daisy still has two fresh red flowers and thick green foliage. I figure I should go down to the pond and put my feet in the water and feed the fish while the weather is still enjoyable.

33 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

My rose bushes are still covered in roses, my potentilla is still producing yellow flowers, and my gerbera daisy still has two fresh red flowers and thick green foliage. I figure I should go down to the pond and put my feet in the water and feed the fish while the weather is still enjoyable.

Lol. Sounds like you’re still in Nashville!

47 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
On 10/19/2019 at 2:12 PM, alex said:
Clearing out
C30C0E4C-BEBF-4A49-B043-C2D50F4B4E3B.jpeg.58eee6e5deb702ea51624c094cb42bcf.jpeg

Where abouts is your new house? You've got exceptional views up there

That view is not from my house, I drove up to the Cog base which is 6 miles up the street or so. My new house is actually on the same land as the old one - it's 32 acres with 2 5-bedroom homes and 2 cabins, right at the entrance to Bretton Woods on the National Forest boundary. 

By the way, NNE peeps, we are soon going to have a new member posting from my area... Guess who? :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

I was hoping to see some on the Kanc today but it was not to be. I think the top of that road is 2800’. It was mid 40’s up there. Mt. Washington was pretty well cloaked above tree line but that was the only snow we saw. 

You must have slept in Saturday as you were not at the booth when i was at the show in Augusta...............;)

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

You must have slept in Saturday as you were not at the booth when i was at the show in Augusta...............;)

My shift started at 2:00 and went to closing.  Too bad I missed you.  I always like that show.  It's just the right size for me.  Not so big that you get overwhelmed but big enough to be interesting.

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My shift started at 2:00 and went to closing.  Too bad I missed you.  I always like that show.  It's just the right size for me.  Not so big that you get overwhelmed but big enough to be interesting.

Yeah, They told me you were working the afternoon, I had bought a set of snow tracker carbides for my skis from my buddies from Shaker hill outdoors and i bought the snowdust buster light for the back of your helmet from the guy from Pembroke NH.

Helmet Light.jpg

Ski1.jpg

Ski2.jpg

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, They told me you were working the afternoon, I had bought a set of snow tracker carbides for my skis from my buddies from Shaker hill outdoors and i bought the snowdust buster light for the back of your helmet from the guy from Pembroke NH.

Helmet Light.jpg

Ski1.jpg

Ski2.jpg

I saw those lights.  I don'y have a heated shield or else I would have bought one.  I really liked the $20,000 trailer outside, pretty sure my wife wouldn't have appreciated the 2nd mortgage I would have had to take out to pay for it though.  lol