• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Discobs 2019

George BM

I'm surprised the drought isn't considered severe at this point. It's basically not rained at all for close to two months while being well above normal in terms of temps. And we didn't get a ton of rain this summer, either. Had a few periods where storms got us, but no real organized systems or tropical events.

57 minutes ago, high risk said:

I love the GFS solution for the middle of next week in which the wave on the front passes too far southeast to give us rain but sufficiently kills convergence along the front in our area, leaving us in a giant precip hole.        T

Winter already?

63/33 IAD 1015am edt Friday, October 11, 2019

1 hour ago, high risk said:

I love the GFS solution for the middle of next week in which the wave on the front passes too far southeast to give us rain but sufficiently kills convergence along the front in our area, leaving us in a giant precip hole.        T

Yeah. Never seen that one before...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Meanwhile, GGEM purples all of us through 240.  Much juicier next week.  But I'd bet on persistence until things get within 1-2 days.  

12z Euro is juiced up too mid week, but a bit too far S and E. Verbatim my yard would do decently, but the 1-2" rains are  eastern VA to southern DE. That is a significant bump NW from the previous run though.

9 hours ago, gymengineer said:

10th highest water level in Annapolis today: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/rms5539/status/1183131064304308224

Yeah this is a neat event.  I was at the inner harbor yesterday and water was coming up over the edges in several places. I heard fell's point had minor flooding.  I am trying to figure out what the physics is behind this.. I guess it just has to do with the  elliptical orbit of the moon passing close coinciding with the equinox..  

Looks like the immediate coast of MD and DE may get a quick shot of decent rain tonight. Maybe I can score a shower?

So here are Mount Holly's thoughts on the next potential event:

Wednesday...Likely the most eventful day of the long term with one
low pressure system crossing the Great Lakes and srn Canada while a
second low forms off to the south and races off the Delmarva/NJ
coasts and up into the New England waters. This second low is shown
as eventually `bombing` by the EC/CMC models and just short of the
criteria by the GFS. Either way, rains and gusty winds will develop
Wed and last into the evening period before decreasing from W to E.
Depending on synoptic/mesoscale factors a 1 to 2 inch rain may fall
with the system. 

This has the "betwixt and between" look written all over it for a significant part of this region- and likely the areas that most need the rain. The NS energy and the and the low forming on the old front will congeal and perhaps result in a strong coastal low, but probably too far east/NE for most of us. This can be seen pretty clearly on the latest runs of the Euro and GFS. Precip maps are LOL, but not surprising. It bears watching, but given the dry run we are on, my expectations are very low. 

• H2O unpinned this topic