Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last year I read about a way to control ticks in a yard without spray.  It involves adding permethrin to cotton (or dryer lint -cheaper and just as effective) and cramming the stuff into cardboard rolls - TP centers work fine, paper towel cores should be cut in 2-3 pieces.  The devices are then placed at about 10-foot intervals around the lawn/yard, preferably sheltered by a piece of bark/wood, etc. so the rain doesn't ruin them.  Mice and voles love that stuff and carry it back to build their nests, where the permethrin cleans the little rodents of all ticks.  (Of course, if your yard covers an acre, you'd need about 100 of the things.)

My  lawn mower would just laugh at those 2" TP cores.

23 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Only problem is if you have cats that stuff is deadly to them.

After losing several indoor-outdoor cats to the local predators (coyote/fisher), ours now are inside only.  Of course, our bit of lawn is surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest full of small rodents, so we could never place enough TP-roll permethrin baits to have much effect.

My  lawn mower would just laugh at those 2" TP cores.

If your lawn is grass-to-grass with your neighbors, the mouse-nest "trap" tactic is out of play.  If there's forest edge, a yard or two inside would be the place for those TP rolls to be placed.