Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

3 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm speechless. Life is so fragile. My daughter hurt herself pretty badly skiing today. Spent most of the day at the ER. Could have been much worse but makes you think. And then you hear things like this. It just shouldn't happen. 

Jeez.  I hope she will be ok.  Not a great day but like you said...   so scary when a kid gets hurt

21 minutes ago, alex said:

I'm speechless. Life is so fragile. My daughter hurt herself pretty badly skiing today. Spent most of the day at the ER. Could have been much worse but makes you think. And then you hear things like this. It just shouldn't happen. 

Sorry to hear this Alex, Hope shoe is ok...........

22 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

He came to a g2g, loved politics as much as weather. Such tragic news. Will miss his insights into new england weather

Yes I recall meeting him at one. 

do we know what took his life?  

it’s always arresting when mortality rings the forum’s doorbell 

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yes I recall meeting him at one. 

do we know what took his life?  

it’s always arresting when mortality rings the forum’s doorbell 

I know he suffered  from depression  and took pills to ease it. Not 100 percent sure what caused it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alex said:

I hope she heals quickly! And if something doesn't seem right, keep pushing for another opinion. My family has some experience with this. And @moneypitmike, I'm glad to hear that the angels were on your side this morning too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Holy hell ...  

there's some ...shall we say, eccentric contributions over in that climate forum.   

haha I'm not a big fan of genetic modification of humans, seems a bit, shall we say, nazi-like.

I'm not even a huge fan of doing it to other creatures (why must humans mess with nature? it always comes out badly for us.....)

On 11/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, MetHerb said:

It's also definitely a use it or lose it type skill.  I took a lot of calculus courses at Lyndon but after 30 years I look at a lot of it and don't remember the rules or what certain things were called LOL.  I just had no need for it when I got out of school and especially when I moved away from meteorology in the early 90s.  Even then I didn't use it a whole lot but it's needed to understand concepts and for research/advanced degrees.

It's amazing how quickly you can lose those skills. Going through high school, I was pretty solid at math...at least in terms of algebra. I kick myself alot now b/c we were only required 3-years of math, but for my senior year I wanted to do more math so I took trig one semester and probability/statistics the last semester. Stupid me though didn't take it seriously and I just screwed around. Then I was out of school for 6+ years before I got back and all my algebra skills were gone. But you're 100% right...its needed to understand concepts and that's what I want to do. 

On 11/15/2019 at 9:53 PM, PowderBeard said:

HLM and other regression heavy stats then Bayesian for the win! Accounting for variance and predictive power is where it is at. I was weak in math (barely survived trig in high school) but stats is different than algebra, calc, etc. imo. Any much more useful - at least in research and predictions.

Statistics is highly useful and very interesting...if I at least don't re-take other math classes statistics is something I would not only do but take advanced stats classes. 

• Like 1