Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

5 hours ago, dryslot said:

Improper training?

It’s a tough job. It very well may be just bad luck. If meteorology did not work, being a FF would have been next for me. My grandfather was a fire chief in Boston. I watched him do his job, and I watched some bad things happen too. Feel For that dept.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s a tough job. It very well may be just bad luck. If meteorology did not work, being a FF would have been next for me. My grandfather was a fire chief in Boston. I watched him do his job, and I watched some bad things happen too. Feel For that dept.

A lot of my friends are firefighters here, I know they do a lot of training on a regular basis, They visit buildings on a regular basis to get some familiarity on what they may face, Sometimes risks are taken especially when its a life threatening situation on saving lives in a building they are unfamiliar with, But that's where you have to rely on your training to keep the right frame of mind on judgement.

I've been thinking of re-taking math classes...starting from algebra and then working all the way back up to differential equations...anyone else ever consider this? I'm just not certain it's worth it though. I think math is one of those things that you either just get or you don't. But I'm extremely weak (and continue to get worse) with math and feel like I don't remember even basic algebra anymore b/c I just don't use it. Maybe do some online classes? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I've been thinking of re-taking math classes...starting from algebra and then working all the way back up to differential equations...anyone else ever consider this? I'm just not certain it's worth it though. I think math is one of those things that you either just get or you don't. But I'm extremely weak (and continue to get worse) with math and feel like I don't remember even basic algebra anymore b/c I just don't use it. Maybe do some online classes? 

It's also definitely a use it or lose it type skill.  I took a lot of calculus courses at Lyndon but after 30 years I look at a lot of it and don't remember the rules or what certain things were called LOL.  I just had no need for it when I got out of school and especially when I moved away from meteorology in the early 90s.  Even then I didn't use it a whole lot but it's needed to understand concepts and for research/advanced degrees.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, weatherwiz said:

HLM and other regression heavy stats then Bayesian for the win! Accounting for variance and predictive power is where it is at. I was weak in math (barely survived trig in high school) but stats is different than algebra, calc, etc. imo. Any much more useful - at least in research and predictions.