Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Speaking of animals, we had a husky show up last week at our door at 9pm. The dog was walking in circles, bumping into things and just not acting normal. We gave it food and water (my wife is a big dog lover) then called animal control. The woman said unless it's an emergency, they don't pick up animals until the next morning. She asked that we bring it into the house. I said I thought it may be showing early signs of rabies and that I didn't feel comfortable doing that. Plus, I've been bit in the face when I was a kid and the dog was making me nervous. Right there, I figured that she'd stop trying to convince us to take the dog in. I told her we also had three cats and she was like "oh, he'll be fine with them". Sure honey. Conversation went on for 10min. I finally told her we were leaving the dog outside. Well, we felt bad, so brought it into the garage, but it was walking into things, scratching at the door. I texted the woman and said the dog was in garage but she needed to come get it by 8am. She said sure.

My wife had to get up and leave for work at 2am. The dog ran out of garage and she couldn't get it back. We had left the door open in case in came back. Next morning I check FB lost dog recovery site and see the husky pics posted by the owner. I called her and told her we had her dog last night, but it got away. She was still looking for it. It was found dead on the side of the road about 3 miles away. Hit by a car. Turns out the dog had been having seizures and he had one that night as the owners were getting ready to give him a bath with the hose. They took his collar off and that's when he ran off and ended up at our house.

I texted animal control telling her the dog was dead and that the policy is ridiculous. She should have come and taken the animal as he would still be alive. She replied and said that she assumed he was safe in our garage . "Evidently I was wrong" is what she said. My wife and I were pissed as if she was blaming us. We of course felt terrible and my wife went to the owners house just up the road to pass on our condolences. Who knows, the dog may have had a tumor or epilectic, but regardless, animal control should have come.

You did all you could. I wouldn’t feel comfortable having a strange dog coming into the house. They should have come to pick it up.

My fiancé stopped in the middle of 138 to let a dog jump into the car that was running lose. The dog was dull of fleas and ticks and was trying to nip at us. It was an awful situation and animal control basically told her not to do that again. We love animals and dogs, but sometimes you have to watch for your own safety 

On 10/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, Lava Rock said:

Speaking of animals, we had a husky show up last week at our door at 9pm. The dog was walking in circles, bumping into things and just not acting normal. We gave it food and water (my wife is a big dog lover) then called animal control. The woman said unless it's an emergency, they don't pick up animals until the next morning. She asked that we bring it into the house. I said I thought it may be showing early signs of rabies and that I didn't feel comfortable doing that. Plus, I've been bit in the face when I was a kid and the dog was making me nervous. Right there, I figured that she'd stop trying to convince us to take the dog in. I told her we also had three cats and she was like "oh, he'll be fine with them". Sure honey. Conversation went on for 10min. I finally told her we were leaving the dog outside. Well, we felt bad, so brought it into the garage, but it was walking into things, scratching at the door. I texted the woman and said the dog was in garage but she needed to come get it by 8am. She said sure.

My wife had to get up and leave for work at 2am. The dog ran out of garage and she couldn't get it back. We had left the door open in case in came back. Next morning I check FB lost dog recovery site and see the husky pics posted by the owner. I called her and told her we had her dog last night, but it got away. She was still looking for it. It was found dead on the side of the road about 3 miles away. Hit by a car. Turns out the dog had been having seizures and he had one that night as the owners were getting ready to give him a bath with the hose. They took his collar off and that's when he ran off and ended up at our house.

I texted animal control telling her the dog was dead and that the policy is ridiculous. She should have come and taken the animal as he would still be alive. She replied and said that she assumed he was safe in our garage . "Evidently I was wrong" is what she said. My wife and I were pissed as if she was blaming us. We of course felt terrible and my wife went to the owners house just up the road to pass on our condolences. Who knows, the dog may have had a tumor or epilectic, but regardless, animal control should have come.

That sucks, you did the right thing. AC is so underfunded not surprised.  

On 10/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, Lava Rock said:

That is sad. We had huskies when I was a child. One got off his runner and he was lost for a week. He ended up running from Falmouth MA to Barnstable, around 15 miles I think. The people who caught him said he simply ran out of room to run, and caught him at the beach.

Beautiful day today but a Lady bug invasion.  My neighbors commented on it too.  They were swarming all over the house trying to get in.  Don't know why there was so many today other than it was warm and sunny after some colder nights.  Anyone else notice them?  Maybe a NNE thing right now??/

Here it's big fat cluster flies.  We generally see a few each fall, like this year.  In our first year here (1998) there were thousands - we twice put out the 2-ft long glue strips and had them fully loaded (both sides) in a day or two - not pretty.  In 1999 there was maybe a hundred or so, and after that more like 10-15 per autumn.  Dog and cat get excited even with the low numbers.

Finally finished up my stable/neutral wind study.

If I hold the 925 wind, and surface to 925 depth and lapse rate as independent variables to the surface wind gust as the dependent I get a correlation of 77%. R squared is about 0.60, so 60% of the variance in gusts are explained by those 3 variables.

The regression equation wasn't too bad: gust = 31.9 + (0.5 * 925 wind) + (0.9 * lapse rate) - (0.05 * depth)

Ran it against an independent data set (2006-2008, study compiled from 2010-2019). I found that my equation was within 2 knots roughly a quarter of the time, 5 knots just under 50% of the time, and within 10 knots 84% of the time. I'm pretty happy with those results, especially for a first guess on the forecast.

Edit: All numbers for PWM (surface)/GYX (aloft)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We still have the EEE threat in Connecticut apparently. Ryan's station just had a story about some towns moving their Halloween events indoors. Another year with a late frost on the Connecticut shoreline, so maybe the bugs carrying the disease continue to live on until we get a good hard freeze, which is probably a few weeks away still.

• Sad 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:14 AM, dryslot said:

We have a few lady bugs and box alder beetles here, Looks like the yellow jackets have waned.

I assume you mean western conifer seed bugs. We always seem to get attacked by them and the ladybugs the first warm day in late October.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I assume you mean western conifer seed bugs. We always seem to get attacked by them and the ladybugs the first warm day in late October.

I have some of those too, But these are far worse, Box Elder beetles, They like taking up residence in your residence for winter...........

image.png.83ea398a1e5f72b5cb81a93f9cdf4148.png

I think I have EEE

my symptoms have persisted since Tuesday night. ...and of course, looking up symptoms is like matching yourself to horoscope descriptions. Fever, headache, stiff neck, tired... yup -

If I let the Advil wear off... I get chills and goose bumps to the spine, and my head hurts.   F'n headaches are the worse man.  Good christ.  What is the evolutionary wisdom in putting nature's greatest achievement in sensory reception, and f'ing pain ... in the SAME GODDAMN CONTAINER.

I hadn't contracted so much as a sniffle in the past four years .. a time span in which I've lived like a dietary quire boy.  Organic everything. Lots of water.  work outs... I figure I was safe.. yeah right.  It's probably why my body is acting like it hasn't got a f clue how to get rid of this damn thing.  Just waiting for first signs of neurological disorders to kick in as the EEE that's only occurred 30 times all summer found a way to absolutely happen all the time in f me gets to do God's bidding

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, dryslot said:

I have some of those too, But these are far worse, Box Elder beetles, They like taking up residence in your residence for winter...........

image.png.83ea398a1e5f72b5cb81a93f9cdf4148.png

Those things are the worst.  I had a swarm "attack" my truck one year.  It took a pressure washer to get rid of them.  There must have been thousands of them and even when I went down the road they just seemed to crawl into cracks and crevices.