Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2019 New England Banter and Disco

NorEastermass128

15 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

...Great. Can someone tell me how to get rid of that awful times roman font within the posts and the post titles?

:blahblah:

And it looks like you're going to have to live with it.

Going for performance... sticking with the default skin and making minimal customization's. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

These are some impressive September snow totals.

WeatherStory1.png?8a65c1ac2f0cd03902cc57

When I was in my teens I wanted to move to that part of Montana for some reason.  I remember having a discussion about places and my friend was insistent that I move east of the divide.  We looked at a map together and Babb was the place we picked.  Years later I visited that small town but obviously never moved there.  I should've listened to my younger self...

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s ironic that bears, big cats, bulls, and other big animals scare people a lot more world wide vs tiny mosquitoes which can cause malaria and other diseases...

Even smaller is quickly taking over for danger. Ticks, maybe fukin Ct should put up don't go in the woods Lyme disease kills and cripples more people than EEE every year.

Also,  Its not about being a 3rd world country its about human over population and increased numbers of exposure to disease carrying things.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We should have a 0% chance dying by a damn mosquito (are in a 3rd world country?) but, that’s not the case. The climate is changing and we are seeing these small incremental problems increase and show up from time to time. As we are a re-active society, eventually simultaneous crap will hit the fan and cause big problems.

LMAO....chill out.  EEE has been around for a LONG Time.   The climate isn't caving in at all anytime soon.   You'll live and so will your kids and their kids.  

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

People should be scared a lot more by tick bites vs mosquitoes. I said this before, but Lyme Disease is sort of getting brushed under the table it seems. It is exponentially easier to get vs EEE and can be real bad and long lasting. 

Agree. It’s gotten so bad I have the property sprayed with chemicals I don’t want my family exposed to but....the alternative is worse imo.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

People should be scared a lot more by tick bites vs mosquitoes. I said this before, but Lyme Disease is sort of getting brushed under the table it seems. It is exponentially easier to get vs EEE and can be real bad and long lasting. 

You ninjad me on this. Nailed it

Just now, WinterWolf said:

LMAO....chill out.  EEE has been around for a LONG Time.   The climate isn't caving in at all anytime soon.   You'll live and so will your kids and their kids.  

You’re too emotionally reactive to people’s posts, relax. Nobody is freaking out but you with capitalization and exclamation points. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Torch 

days and days of 80’s forecast and now down to about 12-18 hours of 70+ 

biggrst torch fail I’ve seen 

It's a good lesson in being a skeptic at lead times longer than a few days for big warmth this late in the season. There's a lot of things that can "go wrong" to negate it. With the PJ much further south than we had in August, we get more sneaky highs from confluence and more little waves forming closer along the front. The longer night can reinforce the CAD from those highs too...make it take longer to mix out during the day which can slow the progression of surface warm fronts. So we get a lot of pretty colors at 500mb, but pretty meh at the surface.

Should be pretty mild overnight though tonight.

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep, there's a ton of variables...including the birds themselves like I mentioned. You can't get it unless a mosquito bites an infected bird first and then bites you (hence why the chances are astronomically low to begin with)....but all that stuff from land use, to how CC affects precip on a regional scale, to how it affects birds all plays a role.

It's why there should always be caution in attribution studies that have 2nd and 3rd order layered impacts. Something like straight temperature/heat waves is easy, but other stuff like EEE is really complicated. Hell, even actual weather like hurricanes is very complicated too. Can you imagine the fever pitch of articles and media talking about attribution if we got another 1938-1955 period for tropical cyclones on the east coast?

This!

Everything is CC...it's sickening.  What was the answer for 1938-1955 with regard to Tropical cyclone hits on the east coast???  Ya...it was just an active period...where we were in the crosshairs.  Period!  Like you said, if that happened again today, we'd a have a widespread panic and revolt on our hands, and idiots will be telling you not to eat beef cuz the cow farts are causing Hurricanes/Heatwaves lol.   Holy Smokes what ridiculous society.   80 years from now it'll still be snowing here, and it'll still be hot and humid here in the summer.   And we'll still get the occasional October Snow storm; or October 90 plus degree day, but that won't mean the world is coming to an end then either.       

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

now would not be a good time for Yellowstone to unlid its self with all this Global-duress going on ... to mention, the climate storm - that's not going away in the fairest of times.  

well, in that case you'd have Woody Harrelson joyfully crowing the end of the world as he's obliterated.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You’re too emotionally reactive to people’s posts, relax. Nobody is freaking out but you with capitalization and exclamation points. 

And you're to worried about a Mosquito...so who needs to Relax????   You're post is saying that we shouldn't have to worry at all about Mosquito's living in a Modern country as we do.  And That's what we do here, we comment on peoples posts.    And there's always going to be things to worry about like that...if you let that type of stuff worry you.   

It's all hype.  Silly signs on the highway warning peeps, it's just ridiculous.   You have a better chance of having your kids/family get sick from the chemicals you just sprayed, then the EEE.  But suit yourself if it makes you feel better.  

No one is melting at all.  Just making a counter point.  Whey is that when peeps make counter points to ridiculous hype, they're said to be melting??? Funny how that is. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

80 years from now it'll still be snowing here, and it'll still be hot and humid here in the summer.   And we'll still get the occasional October Snow storm; or October 90 plus degree day, but that won't mean the world is coming to an end then either.       

The more interesting question is at what point do individuals start to care.  

50 years, 80 years, 200 years, 500 years?  How selfish are we going to be?  If it won’t impact my lifetime, how much do I care?

Humans by nature are very selfish but that’s also a survival technique.  I need to gather as many resources as possible and I will not share anything with those other humans who are just sitting around the campfire while I bust my ass hunting sabertooth tigers.  

That selfish self-preservation continues to this day despite most having all the resources they need to live comfortably.  But you can always live more comfortably, right?  

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

This!

Everything is CC...it's sickening.  What was the answer for 1938-1955 with regard to Tropical cyclone hits on the east coast???  Ya...it was just an active period...where we were in the crosshairs.  Period!  Like you said, if that happened again today, we'd a have a widespread panic and revolt on our hands, and idiots will be telling you not to eat beef cuz the cow farts are causing Hurricanes/Heatwaves lol.   Holy Smokes what ridiculous society.   80 years from now it'll still be snowing here, and it'll still be hot and humid here in the summer.   And we'll still get the occasional October Snow storm; or October 90 plus degree day, but that won't mean the world is coming to an end then either.       

Well lets start with this......CC is real and we are warming from it. But the scientific literature on attribution studies is not often portrayed in the media accurately. I'm not going to dive into the depths of policy discussion and what not in this thread...it's not the place for it. But inaccurate portrayal of the literature in the media will only cause damage to the credibility of the movement to do something about CC.

People should also keep in mind when some of these studies come out, there are several scenarios presented....usually the one that gets presented in the media is the "worst case scenario", which I typically find not credible because they are based on unrealistic RCP scenarios from the IPCC climate models....as an example, the worst case scenario from the last report is called "RCP 8.5"....now you might think that the worst case scenario is just the continuation of the status quo, but it actually isn't when you dive into it. One of the assumptions it makes is we will rebuild our coal energy usage to 7x it's current size despite the fact that coal usage peaked in 2014 and the decline has only accelerated since then. So...yeah, is it theoretically plausible to build global coal infrastructure to 7x the current size? Yes, but in what realistic world does that happen? There are some other similar assumptions in that any progress made in green energy reverses and nearly disappears....again, something that doesn't really pass the smell test in terms of reality.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned...there's plenty of reason to be.... but it is just simply an informative caution about taking these worst case scenarios at face value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Torch 

days and days of 80’s forecast and now down to about 12-18 hours of 70+ 

biggrst torch fail I’ve seen 

At least you get 12-18 hours.  It's 1245pm and Im up to 53.6F.   Let's see if the 70F forecasted high comes to fruition.  CAD always wins for me.  

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

At least you get 12-18 hours.  It's 1245pm and Im up to 53.6F.   Let's see if the 70F forecasted high comes to fruition.  CAD always wins for me.  

The torch is out in my old stomping grounds in western/central NY

2019100116_metars_alb.gif

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The more interesting question is at what point do individuals start to care.  

50 years, 80 years, 200 years, 500 years?  How selfish are we going to be?  If it won’t impact my lifetime, how much do I care?

Humans by nature are very selfish but that’s also a survival technique.  I need to gather as many resources as possible and I will not share anything with those other humans who are just sitting around the campfire while I bust my ass hunting sabertooth tigers.  

That selfish self-preservation continues to this day despite most having all the resources they need to live comfortably.  But you can always live more comfortably, right?  

Good points. 

My opinion is we should all try to be good stewards of the environment as much as we can.  Some of the hype is insane.  And some of the worry is way overboard it seems to me.   If folks want to worry about mosquitos biting them and making them sick, then I guess that's up to them.  Just seems a little over the edge to me?   But to each their own.