Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Not even putting out a forecast ? We also have been burned by the Euro in the past.

The GFS has been pretty meh in the medium-to-long range. It's become pretty obvious the GFS would cave into the Euro and with each successive run the GFS has been doing so. Every year when we get to this point in the fall the GFS becomes way too quick with these major pattern changes and significant (long lasting) cold shots. Sure they have happened before and eventually they will, but there just doesn't seem to be significant support across all suites for this. 

3 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

My sister in law lives in Santa Clarita and was evacuated last night. They just dealt with an earthquake a couple months ago...I'm not sure what the allure is to live there!

Oh man...sorry to hear that. Hope she was able to get out alright. The videos/pictures are beyond a worst nightmare. 

Probably the nice beaches lol...but seriously I don't see it either. Incredibly expensive, horrific air quality, non-stop traffic, mudslides, fires, earthquakes (I know its like like this everywhere...especially with traffic but)

25 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Oh man...sorry to hear that. Hope she was able to get out alright. The videos/pictures are beyond a worst nightmare. 

Probably the nice beaches lol...but seriously I don't see it either. Incredibly expensive, horrific air quality, non-stop traffic, mudslides, fires, earthquakes (I know its like like this everywhere...especially with traffic but)

Highest and lowest point in the continental US within 150 miles of each other.   The Central Valley is capable of feeding the entire nation.  Spectacular geography.   Yes LA and San Francisco are ridiculously traffic laden.  That said, San Francisco is among earths most beautiful cities.   Nevertheless, I’m perfectly happy in New England having spent 15 years in California.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Highest and lowest point in the continental US within 150 miles of each other.   The Central Valley is capable of feeding the entire nation.  Spectacular geography.   Yes LA and San Francisco are ridiculously traffic laden.  That said, San Francisco is among earths most beautiful cities.   Nevertheless, I’m perfectly happy in New England having spent 15 years in California.

I did not know that...that's pretty cool (although if asked that on trivia would have probably just guessed CA :lol: )

I am sure the views are breathtaking...especially from what I've seen with photos...but not sure if that would be enough to make me live there haha. I'll take New England anyday 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Much prefer the NNE mix:  Little hurricanes, little tornados, little earthquakes, big snowstorms.  :weenie:

Edit:  Add to the above the "asbestos forest".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm a bit of a fan of 'seasonal precedence,' however.  Establish a tendency for certain looks and appeals early on, and usually, per my own experience over the decades ..those tendencies will reemerge in more cases than not - usually with more amplitude when the ensuing season gets properly underway.  Obviously by that I mean when cold patterns in autumn or warm patterns in spring.  But, I don't mean the pattern structures, per se, I mean the advent - though obviously on some level those two are linked.

So, a very warm March in 2012 went on to a historically hot summer for much of the U.S. 

In 1995, we started getting unusually deep rad cooled nights in late October.  I remember that last week of October when I attended college at Lowell. On a couple of mornings the brilliant saffron and yellowed maples along University Ave were being stripped barren in no wind; one morning the Lab put down a 19 F for a low at dawn. The other observation, the typical small rivulets cascading down the aqueduct fascia that always faced north began to freeze in early November, forming fragile infant ice-falls, yet their fragility began to survive the afternoons. 

These are only observations a nerd might make ... but I remember "feeling" like these were good omens at the time.  I mean I don't if there's anything to this but it seems like there is a 'hidden pattern' - really a tendency pattern.   Some years it seems one could all but totally forget just how difficult it is to snow, or thunder.  Other years the dearth of these coveted cinema types is down-right maddening. 

I am seeing lots of HC compression in the field though ... everywhere.   These troughs are plumbing to their nadirs around Colorado's longitude ( or so ), then the southern arcs of them start slopping positively tilted as they are then kicked through the east and are force ( insufficiently ) to try and conserve their wind velocities against that compression velocity.  That positive sloping back west is absorption really.  

This may be a cold blustery pattern for the NP-Lakes and occasional OV/NE regions, with less synoptic organization - a nice example in how velocity saturation is a partial destructive interference.  Could be a good gin up for lake effect. 

22 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

How does it go?  “The pattern in November the winter will remember?”

It’s not exact obviously but I swear it seems to happen to some degree more times than not.....just my impression....no data to support that

December-obviously way wrong frequently of late.

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I am seeing lots of HC compression in the field though ... everywhere.   These troughs are plumbing to their nadirs around Colorado's longitude ( or so ), then the southern arcs of them start slopping positively tilted as they are then kicked through the east and are force ( insufficiently ) to try and conserve their wind velocities against that compression velocity.  That positive sloping back west is absorption really.  

This may be a cold blustery pattern for the NP-Lakes and occasional OV/NE regions, with less synoptic organization - a nice example in how velocity saturation is a partial destructive interference.  Could be a good gin up for lake effect. 

These troughs have to be plummeting AAM...no wonder the atmosphere is in a Nina state. Be interesting to see how much longer this persists.

This is also why I don't believe ENSO is going to be a strong contributor to the global pattern this winter....going to be too weak and it looks like there will be other factors which hold more weight...for example, AAM.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

These troughs have to be plummeting AAM...no wonder the atmosphere is in a Nina state. Be interesting to see how much longer this persists.

This is also why I don't believe ENSO is going to be a strong contributor to the global pattern this winter....going to be too weak and it looks like there will be other factors which hold more weight...for example, AAM.  

I'm not sure where you're going with the angular momentum stuff but I tend to agree regarding the ENSO  

A weak forcing potential by a weak warm(cool) ENSO gets lost inside an HC that is enormous.  That blocks the former's ability to modulate. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure where you're going with the angular momentum stuff but I tend to agree regarding the ENSO  

A weak forcing potential by a weak warm(cool) ENSO gets lost inside an HC that is enormous.  That blocks the former's ability to modulate. 

The state of AAM (at times) throughout the course of the winter may result in a hemispheric configuration which is opposite of what you would expect given the ENSO signal. 

Actually if we do want to talk ENSO...the weak EL Nino signal may be just enough to result in an expanded Hadley Cell which would not be good for CA.