Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I must be confusing weathermodels.com and weather.us 

I have the $10/month subscription for weathermodels.com.

Is weather.us better? 

I think Joerg worked a deal with Maue to supply Ryan with the euro gribs. So Maue ran wild with weathermodels.com, but then Joerg went off on the side and turned his weather.us into an alternate free site with a paywall as well. I’m not sure what kind of business model that is, but whatev. Maybe someone else has more deets on it. 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think Joerg worked a deal with Maue to supply Ryan with the euro gribs. So Maue ran wild with weathermodels.com, but then Joerg went off on the side and turned his weather.us into an alternate free site with a paywall as well. I’m not sure what kind of business model that is, but whatev. Maybe someone else has more deets on it. 

ahhh that explains a lot.

I think I may go ahead and explore weather.us. Ryan Maue's site is alright (was great when it first happened) but there really have not been any additions or improvements (from what I've seen anyways). I should just use wxbell though...have a subscription from school. 

36 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ahhh that explains a lot.

I think I may go ahead and explore weather.us. Ryan Maue's site is alright (was great when it first happened) but there really have not been any additions or improvements (from what I've seen anyways). I should just use wxbell though...have a subscription from school. 

WxBell also seems to have added the 6z/18z ECMWF data that it didn’t have last winter.  

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

We need some sort of show to come to your property and give you a make over. I honestly think it's a soil thing. Maybe a few inches of loam/compost in the bad areas will do it. 

There's Fixer-Upper, Homestead Rescue, Maine Cabin Masters - why not Lawn Rescue, and we know where the pilot should be filmed.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

There's Fixer-Upper, Homestead Rescue, Maine Cabin Masters - why not Lawn Rescue, and we know where the pilot should be filmed.

We need some sort of trendy alliteration. Maybe “Lava Lawn?” The story of a burnt out lawn and a burnt out homeowner trying to salvage it. 

• Haha 2

And just so everyone knows....the cold is building and making a run out west first. You will hear Denver in the news as soon as this weekend. That is a bitter blast coming for them. The next two weeks to me, seem like a classic almost nina look with colds building in Canada, especially central and western Canada. It's a good place for it to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And just so everyone knows....the cold is building and making a run out west first. You will hear Denver in the news as soon as this weekend. That is a bitter blast coming for them. The next two weeks to me, seem like a classic almost nina look with colds building in Canada, especially central and western Canada. It's a good place for it to happen. 

Hopefully (probably) resulting in lots of snow in the Sangre de Cristos...Some kind of correlation I read between early good S Colorado snows and good snow here. Looks encouraging in that variable.

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Are you still living in elevated ORH 

or channeling DIT lol

No, I'm east in northern Holliston...still on the edge of the hills though as this part of town is 350-410 feet. We've prob had an extra 2-3 days out of the 50s vs ORH airport.

26 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Hopefully (probably) resulting in lots of snow in the Sangre de Cristos...Some kind of correlation I read between early good S Colorado snows and good snow here. Looks encouraging in that variable.

I've always taken extreme caution with correlations relating to precipitation (in this case snowfall and potential snowfall totals). Sure you can derive a general likelihood of what to expect based on pattern recognition, but at the end of the day (I think anyways) something like snowfall is tied more into how all pieces involved interact. We've had some damn good patterns fail to produce and we've had horrific patterns produce. 

I think at the end of the day it's embedded disturbances within the overall pattern which dictate the end result moreso than the overall pattern configuration. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've always taken extreme caution with correlations relating to precipitation (in this case snowfall and potential snowfall totals). Sure you can derive a general likelihood of what to expect based on pattern recognition, but at the end of the day (I think anyways) something like snowfall is tied more into how all pieces involved interact. We've had some damn good patterns fail to produce and we've had horrific patterns produce. 

I think at the end of the day it's embedded disturbances within the overall pattern which dictate the end result moreso than the overall pattern configuration. 

:weenie: