Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Looks like a soaker up here the next two days, Looking at the end of Oct into the first part of Nov, It looks to be heading on the cooler side over the Northeast.

October is our wettest month (5.62") on average, and we're just under 4" at present - looks like we'll be close to the mark.  Had to challenge last Thursday's storm with the forest certification auditors, and tomorrow morning I need to be in Orono by about 8:20 - might keep me under the heaviest band all the way.  ;) 

8 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Something needs to be done with either the NAM, GFS, or both...particularly with the MOS outputs b/c this is absolutely ridiculous...every stupid freaking fall and spring there are always these large...very large major differences between the two with regards to high and low temperatures...I mean huge...in some cases like 10-15F differences...RIDICULOUS. Now I know there are other methods and means for forecasting highs and lows...that's not the point here...can't do that when you forecast for a large number of cities. SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING. Now I can understand when there is a frontal boundary and there are timing differences between the models, but in many cases THERE ARE NO FRONTS. What i derive is the NAM under-mixes and GFS over-mixes...FIX IT 

You should be thankful model guidance isnt always perfect. Otherwise we wouldnt have jobs. 

• Like 1

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Ahh thanks. I was trying to come up a with a whitty interpretation of NBM but failed. 

The NBM is pretty robust on temps, so eventually I think it would be strong guidance. The problem is that we would have very little experience with the NBM and its MOS. So hard to tease out the typically biases right away. Going to be some growing pains I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

October is our wettest month (5.62") on average, and we're just under 4" at present - looks like we'll be close to the mark.  Had to challenge last Thursday's storm with the forest certification auditors, and tomorrow morning I need to be in Orono by about 8:20 - might keep me under the heaviest band all the way.  ;) 

Good chance you stay under that band Tom, 3.92" here so far this month.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Seresto collars

Yeah, we were on that train for a long time but when the old girl died from lymph tumors in Sept I pulled the Seresto off the young male dog.   Maybe I go back to it next year but he’s yellow/blonde and they are easy to spot with a good check after walks.  May and Oct are the worst, he just needs to get over not being in our bed those months!