Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

On 10/9/2019 at 7:34 AM, BombsAway1288 said:

Isn't that the saying for New England except instead of waiting 5 mins it's "wait 24 hours"?

That phrase probably holds true across all the mid-latitudes. But the folks who live in New England who really aren't in-tune to weather like we are...they think our weather changes quickly...they have no idea lol. 

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Sneaky cold shot late next week....

The hint I’m seeing is AN 11-15 but showing signs of a chilly start to November.

EPS hinting at cold to end October....out at end of run, so we'll see if it gets closer with time....but chilly Halloween week?

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 1:35 AM, KoalaBeer said:

I love New Englands variable climate, but these are the days I miss living in Denver. 

EABFB6AD-FE70-4B93-B3A4-01CFFA181EF4.png

Yesterday afternoon they went from 75F, 5mph wind to 51F an hour later with 51 mph winds and gusts to 64... then down to 33F a couple hours after that. Man that would be cool to experience. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I wonder if with less tarmac solar absorption in winter it will be closer to reality....

It depends on what the problem is to begin with....if it's a siting problem like rocks or dark ground recently put in near the ASOS, then yeah, you'd expect to see the effect decrease a bit in winter. But if it's a problem with the actual ASOS temp sensor, then it won't go away.

There doesn't seem to be a big change last winter when the problem started....we see a little fluctuation but generally staying consistently terrible compared to mid-2018 and prior. BTW, look at how much of a joke those high temps hae been recently....over 5F too warm now. :lmao:

KBOS_MADIS.png

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So everyone knows the temperature is bogus but NWS says oh well?

I dunno....I'm not sure how this would pass any QC into NCDC for climate data....but then again, they used to take goose eggs for ORH snow data, lol.

Maybe 2-3F isn't enough for them to care that much....priorities and all. But I suspect if they start doing 5F consistently, then it will be attended to.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno....I'm not sure how this would pass any QC into NCDC for climate data....but then again, they used to take goose eggs for ORH snow data, lol.

Maybe 2-3F isn't enough for them to care that much....priorities and all. But I suspect if they start doing 5F consistently, then it will be attended to.

When they measure 16 inches of snow at 36 all storm maybe they’ll wake up...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Let’s just start a petition to get NWS to move the official WeatherStation to Boston Common.

I've brought this up before but the City of Boston is taking a survey right now on a master plan for the Common.  If enough people mention having a weather station there, they'd have to look into it:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BostonCommonMasterPlan

Here's your chance!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I've brought this up before but the City of Boston is taking a survey right now on a master plan for the Common.  If enough people mention having a weather station there, they'd have to look into it:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BostonCommonMasterPlan

Here's your chance!

Sweet!  Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Sn0waddict said:

Yesterday afternoon they went from 75F, 5mph wind to 51F an hour later with 51 mph winds and gusts to 64... then down to 33F a couple hours after that. Man that would be cool to experience. 

It definitely was an experience! I remember thinking New Englanders were full of crap with "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" you hear all the time haha. I'll admit though, I like the variability of our climate more overall. Nothing beats a bombed out nor'easter deformation band sitting over your head.

Looks like DIA went from 82F to 19F in 18 hours for a temp change of 63 degrees. That is sick. 

33 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

It definitely was an experience! I remember thinking New Englanders were full of crap with "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" you hear all the time haha. I'll admit though, I like the variability of our climate more overall. Nothing beats a bombed out nor'easter deformation band sitting over your head.

Looks like DIA went from 82F to 19F in 18 hours for a temp change of 63 degrees. That is sick. 

That’s insane.  Down to teens with snow after low-80s.

5 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Our weather is pretty stable and tame compared to the rest of the country.