Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't think many will care about a few cows buried.

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That storm in the Plains does develop a text book TROWAL and deformation zone. 

There's nothing like a good Plains blizzard. We get the Atlantic moisture, but true blizzards are so hard to come by around here. 

• Like 1

Just now, purduewx80 said:

it matters in terms of impacts to humanity.

Sure but when does population density determine how impressive a weather event is?  I think there were a handful of people on top of Mount Washington when they recorded the 231MPH wind.  Does that make it less impressive because of it's impact to humanity?

Is it because it's North Dakota and not Montana or some other "cooler" state?

I highly doubt they're ready for what could be upwards of 2 feet of snow in eastern ND. Just b/c the population density isn't as high as out this way doesn't mean its any less impactful to humanity...temperatures below-freezing, high winds, low wind chills...thankfully this is the weekend, but I doubt they are fully prepared for winter weather yet...let alone 2 feet of snow. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I highly doubt they're ready for what could be upwards of 2 feet of snow in eastern ND. Just b/c the population density isn't as high as out this way doesn't mean its any less impactful to humanity...temperatures below-freezing, high winds, low wind chills...thankfully this is the weekend, but I doubt they are fully prepared for winter weather yet...let alone 2 feet of snow. 

i am in no way saying it isn't interesting meteorologically, but they are used to having blizzards. happens nearly every year, usually multiple times.

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think that many have been through a Plains blizzard.  They make Nor'easters look like a little snow event with the drifting, visibility and temperatures.  It's still an impressive event.  I just find it ironic that the same people that cheer on such events shrug their shoulders just because of where it's happening.  They all know that if it was happening here and there was a rain/line that it wouldn't be population density that would make it interesting but the fact they got 2' of snow.  Must just be jealousy...

Just now, purduewx80 said:

i am in no way saying it isn't interesting meteorologically, but they are used to having blizzards. happens nearly every year, usually multiple times.

For sure...it's just this seems a bit early.

Heck, even last week in MT they weren't fully prepared for it...thankfully the area is remote, but clean-up took alot longer than it would have if it was say December. 

I'm not sure of the foliage situation in ND or SD but I would have to think they still have a decent amount of leaves on the trees...this snow is going to be much more wet than what they had in MT too...that with high winds...power outages could be rather widespread. 

Just now, MetHerb said:

I don't think that many have been through a Plains blizzard.  They make Nor'easters look like a little snow event with the drifting, visibility and temperatures.  It's still an impressive event.  I just find it ironic that the same people that cheer on such events shrug their shoulders just because of where it's happening.  They all know that if it was happening here and there was a rain/line that it wouldn't be population density that would make it interesting but the fact they got 2' of snow.  Must just be jealousy...

true :lol:

Remember the blizzard in March across CO/KS...major highways were closed for several days due to the drifting of snow. 

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

People and officials in ND know how to handle winter weather. 

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

People and officials in ND know how to handle winter weather. 

Just b/c you know how or are fully prepared for an event doesn't mean it won't be any less impactful. CT can handle 6-12'' of snow too...how well did we handle that in October 2011? 

Looks like in terms of foliage they're near peak or at peak...I don't care how well you're prepared, over a foot of wet snow, 40-50+ mph wind gusts, and a long-duration event is going to cause significant issues out that way. Wind chill into the 20's through the weekend. 

This isn't a typical run-of-the-mill blizzard for these areas. It's October 8th

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just b/c you know how or are fully prepared for an event doesn't mean it won't be any less impactful. CT can handle 6-12'' of snow too...how well did we handle that in October 2011? 

Looks like in terms of foliage they're near peak or at peak...I don't care how well you're prepared, over a foot of wet snow, 40-50+ mph wind gusts, and a long-duration event is going to cause significant issues out that way. Wind chill into the 20's through the weekend. 

This isn't a typical run-of-the-mill blizzard for these areas. It's October 8th

It’s happened before in the upper midwest and that area has a lot less trees too. How I would be prepared or how poorly CT managed in Oct11 has nothing to do with it nor can you compare the two. 

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ND has 2.9% tree cover vs. 72% in MA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Looks like one of the earliest on record was October 5, 2005 and there were significant impacts. And it seems like these totals could far surpass what happened with that storm. 

It will have significant impacts and be anomalous, no doubt. But the upper midwest routinely deals with big fall and spring storms. You won’t get a gridlock on the roads or a mass transportation failure causing thousands to be stranded at a terminal. Maybe a cow perishes causing a price spike on the McDonald’s dollar menu. 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yup, thank you. Wiz is off the deep end worried about tree foliage on one tree in the middle of a 20 acre farmland.  

Have you guys ever been out there?  There's lots of trees in towns and communities where people live.  Just because there are huge open areas doesn't mean that there aren't trees in town or surrounding peoples towns.