Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

13 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Getting into the peak of the rain event with the yellows and oranges on radar going over us. Coming down good but I wouldn't go as far as calling it heavy rain. It's nothing compared to the very heavy rain you get in summer t-storms, where you can get an inch of rain in 20 minutes. This is more like a high end moderate rain, but of course we will end up with very heavy rainfall totals because it lasts much longer than a summer t-storm. But this definitely isn't HEAVY rain. It seems heavy for this time of year, but again nothing like the true heavy rain in summer downpours.

You could have used heavy rain in this paragraph a few more times to make sure we'd definitely get your point. 

And yes, there is a burst of heavy rain right now here in Hamilton Heights. 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, ict1523 said:

You could have used heavy rain in this paragraph a few more times to make sure we'd definitely get your point. 

And yes, there is a burst of heavy rain right now here in Hamilton Heights. 

Sorry. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when people call it heavy rain in these types of storms. I've had the heaviest radar echoes going over me in the last half hour, and it's not even coming down half as heavily as it did during our heavy downpours in t-storms this summer. These noreaster type of storms really just have mostly moderate rain, but of course rainfall totals will be very impressive because it lasts several hours. It just doesn't excite me like the blinding downpours in summer t-storms do. The winds tomorrow will be much more exciting.

Sorry. It's just a little pet peeve of mine when people call it heavy rain in these types of storms. I've had the heaviest radar echoes going over me in the last half hour, and it's not even coming down half as heavily as it did during our heavy downpours in t-storms this summer. These noreaster type of storms really just have mostly moderate rain, but of course rainfall totals will be very impressive because it lasts several hours. It just doesn't excite me like the blinding downpours in summer t-storms do. The winds tomorrow will be much more exciting.
Heavy rainfall is more than 0.30 inches of rain per hour. So yes it's heavy rain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Unfortunately heavy rain isn't defined by whether it excites you or not. 

31 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

multiple stations along the jersey shore gusting over 50 mph now, as high as 59 mph in little egg inlet. manhattan beach also reported a gust to 49mph in one of the heavier showers about 30 minutes ago.

The Euro wind gust product is doing better than the other models. It had 60 mph gusts for that part of the Jersey Shore.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/new-jersey/gusts-3h-mph/20191017-0000z.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ict1523 said:

Unfortunately heavy rain isn't defined by whether it excites you or not. 

Of course. I'm just pointing out that rainfall rates in this type of storm are nothing compared to summer downpours in t-storms. If it rained at this rate in the summer for an hour, you'd get a quarter to half inch and no one would think it's a big deal. It's not true very heavy rain like you get in summer storms, but I know it's impressive because it lasts many hours which gets you to heavy rainfall totals. To me this type of rain isn't exciting (although I'm glad we're getting a much needed soaking), but it's fine if others find it exciting. So far here I've picked up .85 of rain, but on radar the back edge of the steady moderate rain is already approaching Trenton. So we'll probably end up with a little over an inch here. Maybe an inch and a quarter. A good soaking but nothing to write home about IMO.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Of course. I'm just pointing out that rainfall rates in this type of storm are nothing compared to summer downpours in t-storms. If it rained at this rate in the summer for an hour, you'd get a quarter to half inch and no one would think it's a big deal. It's not true very heavy rain like you get in summer storms, but I know it's impressive because it lasts many hours which gets you to heavy rainfall totals. To me this type of rain isn't exciting (although I'm glad we're getting a much needed soaking), but it's fine if others find it exciting. So far here I've picked up .85 of rain, but on radar the back edge of the steady moderate rain is already approaching Trenton. So we'll probably end up with a little over an inch here. Maybe an inch and a quarter. A good soaking but nothing to write home about IMO.

I thought the same as you two hours ago.  Now I am almost at 2”.  This event is delivering.

2 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

I thought the same as you two hours ago.  Now I am almost at 2”.  This event is delivering.

Definitely more impressive out your way. Here we're going to be on the lower end of rainfall totals. No big surprises. Some places will be closer to 1 inch, while other areas (like your place) will get over 2 inches.

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

If this doesn't pivot soon the rain is going to be over within the next 2-3 hours. 

It's already tapering to mostly light rain here. Probably a couple more moderate bursts over the next hour, but I can see we're going to be on the lower end of the rainfall totals because it moved so quickly. But even if we end up with just about 1 inch, it was still a good much needed soaking.

Just now, winterwx21 said:

It's already tapering to mostly light rain here. Probably a couple more moderate bursts over the next hour, but I can see we're going to be on the lower end of the rainfall totals because it moved so quickly. But even if we end up with just about 1 inch, it was still a good much needed soaking.

Most of the models were done by 10 here but will probably be sooner than that

27 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

You are right , here in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn we are at 1.00 for the total but the heaviest rainfall rates were around 0.50 per hour , compared to torrential summer rain of 2-3 even 4 inches an hour it’s not that heavy. For a winter storm it would be considered heavy with 3-5 inch an hour snowfall rates but it’s all relative.