Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

The 18z GFS has a pretty sizeable rain event/coastal storm for the early and middle part of next week. Still a little ways out but nice to see things becoming active again.

That’s a thing of my happiest dreams. I’m fully completely sick of hoses and watering. 10 hours a day, day after day.

Today was a day of records in many parts of the United States. In the wake of a historic late September snowstorm, record low temperatures were recorded in parts of Montana. Records included:

Cut Bank: 1°(old record: 14°, 1950)
Great Falls: 9° (old record: 22°, 1959)

In parts of the East, monthly record high temperatures were shattered. Monthly records included:

Akron: 91° (previous October record: 89°, 10/1/1927 and 10/5/1922)
Birmingham: 99° (previous October record: 94°, 10/1/1919, 10/5/1927, and 10/6/1954)
Cleveland: 93° (previous October record: 90°, 10/6/1946)
Huntsville, AL: 99° (previous October record: 96°, 10/8/1911)
Lexington, KY: 97° (previous October record: 93°, 10/6/1941)
Louisville: 96° (previous October record: 93°, 10/7-8/2007)
Nashville: 98° (previous October record: 95°, 10/1/1953, 10/5/1954, and 10/8/2007)
Pensacola: 96° (previous October record: 95°, 10/8/1884 and 10/5/1951)

Some of this warmth will push into the Mid-Atlantic region tomorrow. Temperatures will likely reach the middle and upper 80s into parts of southern New England. Locations, including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Newark, and possibly even New York City could reach 90°.

The last October 90° or above temperature for select locations occurred on the following dates:

Baltimore: October 15, 2015, 90°
New York City-Central Park: October 6, 1941, 90°
New York City-JFK Airport: October 8, 2007, 90°
New York City-LaGuardia Airport: October 6, 1946, 90°
Newark: October 6, 1959: 91°
Philadelphia: October 7, 1941: 93°
Washington, DC: October 4, 2018, 90°

Afterward, a period of cooler than normal readings will move into the region during the latter part of the first week of October. This pattern could last 7-10 days, though not every day will be cooler than normal.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.5°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.5°C for the week centered around September 25. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.73°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.07°C. The recent strong cooling in Region 1+2 indicates that the prospects for a neutral-cool ENSO during the winter have continued to increase.

Since 1991 when weekly ENSO region data was available, five years have seen September record 2 or more weeks with -1.0°C or cooler weekly anomalies in Region 1+2: 1996, 1999, 2007, 2010, and 2017. 4/5 (80%) of those cases went on to feature warm December-February temperature anomalies in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions. Those cases include La Niña winters. However, the larger pool of neutral-cool ENSO winters, many of which predate the weekly ENSO regional data, have often featured frequent Atlantic blocking. For now, there is a mixed winter signal.

The SOI was +2.32 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was not available.

Since 1950, there have been five prior cases when the AO averaged -0.500 or below in both July and August: 1950, 1958, 1960, 1968, and 2015. The average temperature for September through November in New York City was 58.9° (59.6° adjusted). All cases featured a warmer than normal fall. The potential for autumn 2019 to rank among the 30 warmest cases on record has increased in recent weeks. For New York City, that would translate into a September-November mean temperature of at least 58.8°.

Events during September, including the SOI's falling to -35.30 on September 19, the MJO's being in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 2.000 or above during the September 20-30 period for more than two days, the historic late September snowfall in Great Falls, MT, and the possible ongoing evolution toward a generally positive AO regime, favor a warmer than normal October based on past outcomes.

On September 30, the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.909 (RMM). The September 29-adjusted amplitude was 2.041.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, the implied probability of New York City having a warmer than normal October is approximately 60%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

The 18z GFS has a pretty sizeable rain event/coastal storm for the early and middle part of next week. Still a little ways out but nice to see things becoming active again.

Euro showed something similar and October starts noreaster season so it's definitely possible.

Looks like a neggie NAO influence as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stemwinder said:

Hate to follow that post with this one:

Brown Marmorated Stinkbugs were everywhere around here today.  Am wondering what tomorrow will be like.

Interesting. My parents in Allentown say they rarely see Stinkbugs anymore, which is noteworthy since the first one of those reported in the US was found there in 1998.

6 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

You know the way these damn models change their thinknig so damn drastically just pisses me off as a forecast viewer. 3 days ago I watched an animation map from a forecaster and these models showed nothing but dry weather into next week after this Thursday, then yesterday had tons of rain from late Sunday throguh Tuesday, then earlier today confined that rain to just Monday with dry weather back from Tuesday afternoon through the rest of next week now I see on this thread about a god damn coastal storm next Wednsday. Get the hell out of here with this shit. Those models suck big time and just need to be banned from social media period and just no more forecasting or blogging at all so it makes it much easier for everyone to allow the weather pattern to play itself out without seeing all this god damn negativity in discussion. I hate ****ing clouds and rain and always will. Just want NYC to be a sunny city for life but the main thing models need to learn to get their shit together cause this damn drastic changing thinknig by them is totally unacceptable

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

I actually am not happy about this possibilty of it getting active again. I'm a fan of prolonged dry tranquil strecthes with nothing but blue sunny skies and love droughts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sal Blandino said:
4 minutes ago, Sal Blandino said:

I actually am not happy about this possibilty of it getting active again. I'm a fan of prolonged dry tranquil strecthes with nothing but blue sunny skies and love droughts.

Only way I wouldn't care if it rained was only if it could do it all the time with not a cloud in the sky. Gloomy looks making it look like it's almost dark out just depresses me and puts me in a bitchy mood. It's the brightness that brings cheers and a smile to my face

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sal Blandino said:

There are states called Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico might want to look into it

• Like 1

Next 8 days are averaging 62degs., or about 2degs. AN.

EURO is 90, the GFS is 91 for today.     I have also seen 83(GFSx), 86 on the SREF Plumes.     GFS LAMP is cloud covered all day and just 82.    Luckaly we are not deciding between 32/33-Snow/Rain for today. 

79.0* at Noon(+8 from yesterday, when I finished near 81*.  Made 80.0* by 12:20pm-going to go to beach.

70.7* here at 6am.    71.7* by 9am.   73.0* at 10am.  76.4* at 11am.

3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days are averaging 62degs., or about 2degs. AN.

EURO is 90, the GFS is 91 for today.     I have also seen 83(GFSx), 86 on the SREF Plumes.     GFS LAMP is cloud covered all day and just 82.    Luckaly we are not deciding between 32/33-Snow/Rain for today.

70.7* here at 6am.

given the heat in the midwest yesterday, if we can stay clear, we will roast today.

6 hours ago, Sal Blandino said:

Seriously, are you 12 yrs old? If not, you have issues. You sign up for a weather board and complain about the use and discussion of weather models and while living in a city that is cold and gloomy 5 months a year, you bitch that all YOU wants is Arizona weather as far as the eye can see. You are lucky you don't post in the NE forum. They would've mocked you and sent your ass back to the Rock that you crawled out from under a few days ago. Advice.. If you don't like to hear about storms, don't go on a weather forum. 

• Haha 3

On 10/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, Sal Blandino said:

This constant changing thinking of the weather models just really upsets me. Two days ago I was watching an animation of the precip on map and it forecasted nothing after Thursdays system until the very end of next week at the earliest and now today it has a ton of rain here from late Sunday through Tuesday. I mean this is just aggravating and frustrating that models never know anything. What I would like is that cold front to just please move through with any precip from late Sunday and be out of here by Monday with high pressure back in control from Monday through next week. This just makes looking at the forecast very frustrating

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

There are states called Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico might want to look into it

I want NYC to be like that with that kind of pattern too not just those states you mentioned

14 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i forgot about that because of the time of year 

right? ring-of-fire pattern out in the midwest is also more typical of july.

high clouds probably won't be much of an inhibitor today. short-term guidance brings temps of 90-93 to the entire city. 

6 hours ago, Sal Blandino said:

Sal, why suffer here? The desert states awaits. Everything you’ve described is there. Brilliant cool to cold nights with a tapestry of stars that would rival Van Gogh's masterpiece. The days would be filled with brilliant light as the night bowed to the ascension of Ra. For you a paradise that the I 95 urban environment will not duplicate. You should rush to enjoy it, albeit being wary of the occasional rattler, scorpion and dust storm. A small price considering what your leaving behind. I’m to old for adventure I will stay, listen to and feel the rain , snow, and wind driven spray of an angry sea. May we both find peace. As always .....

• Like 1

Already widespread upper 70s as of 9:20am, dews in the upper 60s too...very July like. 

Very warm readings on the short term models makes me think we exceed highs by a few degrees today pending any cloud debris. 

I think 93-95F will be common. We'll also get a boost from the recent dry conditions.

14 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Already widespread upper 70s as of 9:20am, dews in the upper 60s too...very July like. 

Very warm readings on the short term models makes me think we exceed highs by a few degrees today pending any cloud debris. 

I think 93-95F will be common. We'll also get a boost from the recent dry conditions.

it will be a race b/w the cloud deck to our north sagging ESE over the next few hours....