Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

We could, but with the winds expected to stay up, I'm not planning covering the ol' sensitive vegetation.

I got nothing to cover after September lol.  Still have some peppers in the garden but a light frost tends to pull the sugars into them so I'm for it.  Might get some some sweet hots of the bush's this year, it's been awhile.  I can honestly say this is going to be the first weekend that it truly feels like Fall in a long time.  The extended seems to keep it coming.  I'm all in if we can keep it going to turkey day.  I swear, there has not been a Fall of my youth since I moved back 7 years ago.

might get some sweet hots off the vine this year been awhile.  It'll be patchy if it happens

• Like 3

This time last night the dew was 63.  Right now it's 26.  Have seen a thousand of these types of rapid air mass changes in my lifetime but it never seems to get old.  Always exciting to see such a dramatic change take place.  

Temps have languished a bit this eve with the cloud deck at around 5k ft remaining overhead, but the back edge of the cloud deck is almost here.  Should see our current temp of 39 dip down below freezing before sunrise.

• Like 4

Looks like areas WELL west of Chicago got down to freezing or just below... talking like DeKalb and Rockford.  Aurora didn't even make it but last night wasn't a night where they shine since it was mainly advective cooling.  Then had widespread 33-34 readings south of the city (including here).  

Ahh...refreshing fall temps have finally arrived with some color appearing on trees down this way in central IN.  Beautiful day for the first weekend of the Parke county covered bridge festival.  But I must admit I have been spoiled by the warmer temps hanging on for so long.....it was quite a shock to the system Friday evening when that cold front finally arrived.  KIND extended forecast says above normal temps and precip shall return however.  We shall see.

• Like 2

Freeze warning verified as we hit 31 here.  Only made it to 33 at MLI and DVN though.

Quite a bit windier than I thought it would be today.  Have been getting gusts to near 40mph at times.  There was even some blowing dust out in some of the freshly harvested fields while driving home from work earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Mason City, IA has been in the mid 30s with light snow for much of the day.

Yeah it was a whole different world up there today compared to our areas.  It nearly hit 60 here with full sunshine all day.  Felt cooler though with the very dry air, and the relentless winds.

Speaking of the wind, it's likely somebody flipped a switch around sundown.  It's practically dead calm out there now lol.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:11 PM, Hoosier said:

Looks like areas WELL west of Chicago got down to freezing or just below... talking like DeKalb and Rockford.  Aurora didn't even make it but last night wasn't a night where they shine since it was mainly advective cooling.  Then had widespread 33-34 readings south of the city (including here).  

Can confirm, have gotten under 32 both nights. Expect another frost tonight 

Picked up 0.43" this morning here.  The day has transitioned from a very dark/showery morning into a bright and windy afternoon with full sun, and some cu streets passing overhead.  What little fall color we had developing on the trees is being stripped away today by the strong winds.  Winds look lighter after tomorrow for the rest of the week, so hopefully the color will build up nicely by the weekend.    

DVN has bumped the wind advisory into the central/western cwa.  Smart move as it looks to become very windy overnight.  Have already been getting 30-35mph gusts, but 40-45+ looking likely after midnight.  

• Like 2

Interesting but totally coincidental that I have had 0.43 here ith the rain so far. Looks like just south of me picked up a tad more. KIND at 0.60. Have no idea if this water will help but the colors were rather muted yesterday while I as out and about trying to find them...

7V2A6108.thumb.JPG.8b261996cb8c8b6cd45744f249b415cc.JPG

• Like 1

Trees on my block are in the early stage of changing color, but had a non-trivial amount of leaf loss today.  You expect it with the yellow leaves on a windy day but had more greens come down than I would've thought.  Then again there was a period of gusts near 50 mph this morning. 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Trees on my block are in the early stage of changing color, but had a non-trivial amount of leaf loss today.  You expect it with the yellow leaves on a windy day but had more greens come down than I would've thought.  Then again there was a period of gusts near 50 mph this morning. 

Looks like you made have had a wake low up in your area behind that rain shield this morning. Some pretty healthy gusts reported.

• Like 1

Models are still not agreeing on how to handle the upcoming system.  The foreign models want to cut off energy which results in a slower progression of things, while the NAM and GFS have been resisting the cutoff idea.  This is like only 2 1/2 days until it cuts off (or not) so we aren't talking about something way out in the future.  Usually it seems like the American model camp loses out when we have this kind of model separation but we shall see.