• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday ,September 24, 2019 ME Convective Potential

weatherwiz

A rather significant s/w will be slowly pushing east through ME Tuesday afternoon. Associated with this s/w will be pretty impressive jet dynamics and a cold pool aloft/steep mid-level lapse rates. Surface dewpoints will only be in the mid-to-upper 50's which will limit instability potential, however, the combination of temperatures into the lower 70's and steep mid-level lapse rates may result in 250-500 J/KG of MLCAPE. Given degree of shear/cold air aloft, scattered showers and t'storms should develop very early in the afternoon. The stronger cores will be capable of strong winds as cores collapse along with some hail...perhaps even a few large hailers. 

This will be predominately ME...maybe northern NH. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

We might've meh'd our way to some damage in SW NH.

High shear/low CAPE will get you every time. May not be widespread, but can't sleep on it either.

I think i meh'd my way to 0.0" overnight, Will have to check the stratus but the weather station tipper had nada.

38 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Ground zero was Temple to Palmyra - 8 cocorahs reports ranging 1.72" to 2.90", with 1.91" in 4 hours for my gauge.  Next highest was 1.20" in the Penobscot Valley.

Saw that slug of precip on Radar last night in that area, Impressive but looks like we 7-10'd here.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Saw that slug of precip on Radar last night in that area, Impressive but looks like we 7-10'd here.

When I shut off the computer at 10 PM, it looked like the really good stuff would be just to our north.  We'd had a couple of heavy showers but only 2-3 minutes each, at most 1/4" by that time.  Brings the month's total to 2.63".  21-year average is 3.67", which I doubt happens, while the median of 2.98" (lowest for any month) might be in play.

Just now, tamarack said:

When I shut off the computer at 10 PM, it looked like the really good stuff would be just to our north.  We'd had a couple of heavy showers but only 2-3 minutes each, at most 1/4" by that time.  Brings the month's total to 2.63".  21-year average is 3.67", which I doubt happens, while the median of 2.98" (lowest for any month) might be in play.

I'm at 0.77" for the month and after a wet June-July, Aug and Sept are below normal here.

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

I'm at 0.77" for the month and after a wet June-July, Aug and Sept are below normal here.

LEW was reporting heavy rain at 2 PM.  Getting dark here in Augusta with some nice though sparse C-G to the south.  Warned for the towns just south of here, though it looks like the north fringe will clip us.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

LEW was reporting heavy rain at 2 PM.  Getting dark here in Augusta with some nice though sparse C-G to the south.  Warned for the towns just south of here, though it looks like the north fringe will clip us.

Right at the time i was taking the cat to the vet, 0.22", 0.63/hr rate for a short period of time with that cell that blew up SE of here, 1 rumble, 1 LS, Thats about it.

15 hours ago, dryslot said:

Right at the time i was taking the cat to the vet, 0.22", 0.63/hr rate for a short period of time with that cell that blew up SE of here, 1 rumble, 1 LS, Thats about it.

Only 0.20" yesterday afternoon, though Doppler estimate was much higher.  However, we were right on the west edge of the heavier stuff, and at our distance from GYX the beam was hitting whatever was at 5-6000' over our heads.  Saw Detroit (Maine) with 3.20".

Just now, tamarack said:

Only 0.20" yesterday afternoon, though Doppler estimate was much higher.  However, we were right on the west edge of the heavier stuff, and at our distance from GYX the beam was hitting whatever was at 5-6000' over our heads.  Saw Detroit (Maine) with 3.20".

Have not missed to many showers this whole year so far but have missed the last few storms now, We don't want to start that streak heading into winter...........;)