Most Online
    Rowdy2x
    Newest Member
    Rowdy2x

Tropical Depression Imelda

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The above was as of a couple hours ago.

EE3FYAVWsAAWCnn.jpg:large

Just crazy precip. IIRC, some early, at landfall and later, rain totals south of those maps showed 20"-30" totals, may have gone higher later [think some images are on this thread earlier].

Those extreme totals were located from near Bay City, SW of Freeport/Surfside [towards Matagorda], along Follette Island, San Luis Pass, West End Galveston Island, and inland near Clute, Oyster Creek, etc. Haven't heard any more about that area, but then much of it is sparsely populated [used to commute it to my Sea Isle beach house].

4 hours ago, STxVortex said:

Just crazy precip. IIRC, some early, at landfall and later, rain totals south of those maps showed 20"-30" totals, may have gone higher later [think some images are on this thread earlier].

Those extreme totals were located from near Bay City, SW of Freeport/Surfside [towards Matagorda], along Follette Island, San Luis Pass, West End Galveston Island, and inland near Clute, Oyster Creek, etc. Haven't heard any more about that area, but then much of it is sparsely populated [used to commute it to my Sea Isle beach house].

They issued their 60-hr estimate overnight (Houston metro and their CWA) -

EE38fBoUEAAbudf.jpg

Also including the big one - the Lake Charles NWS CWA, which had the largest precip totals (72-hour amounts shown) -

EE2oMdHU0AAfOwI.png

All these current 72 hour/3 day total precip numbers and graphs seem to be excluding TS Imelda's earliest rain effects. That period, which began accumulating on early Tuesday morning in a coastal area SSW of Houston, occurred in a sparsely populated area with few rain gauges.

There was a post on page 2 of this thread [w/image, link below], posted without any attribution or details, which image appeared to show a 22.5" precip accum near Surfside, TX as of 8AM-CDT Wednesday. This reading [and later amounts] doesn't seem to be accounted for, if valid, in these later "totals".

I think this early Imelda impact on the Brazosport areas may have been overlooked in all the later events in more visible areas. Then again, that "22.5" " value shown may have been just a erroneous  'SWAG'.

In any case, TS Imelda will go down as one of those '500 year outliers' that seem to be happening every couple of years now. And the 2019 cyclone season is barely half done., assuming that no season lengthening isn't also occurring...

Oh yeah, apparently a piece of Imelda's remnant MCS outflow/frontal activity reached out west along I-10 all the way to San Antonio [~150mi] last night, and did a bunch of damage and dumped quite a bit of [needed] rain.

16 minutes ago, STxVortex said:

All these current 72 hour/3 day total precip numbers and graphs seem to be excluding TS Imelda's earliest rain effects. That period, which began accumulating on early Tuesday morning in a coastal area SSW of Houston, occurred in a sparsely populated area with few rain gauges.

There was a post on page 2 of this thread, posted without any attribution or details, which appeared to show a 22.5" precip accum near Surfside, TX as of 8AM-CDT Wednesday. This reading [and later amounts] doesn't seem to be accounted for, if valid, in these later "totals".

I think this early Imelda impact on the Brazosport areas may have been overlooked in all the later events in more visible areas. Then again, that "22.5" " value shown may have been just a erroneous  'SWAG'.

In any case, TS Imelda will go down as one of those '500 year outliers' that seem to be happening every couple of years now. And the 2019 cyclone season is barely half done., assuming that no season lengthening isn't also occurring...

Oh yeah, apparently a piece of Imelda's remnant MCS outflow/frontal activity reached out west along I-10 all the way to San Antonio [~150mi] last night, and did a bunch of damage and dumped quite a bit of [needed] rain.

Note that there are a couple CWAs reporting this - Houston and Lake Charles.  I.e., you may have had some impacted in Corpus Christi CWA too.  But as another note - here is what WPC tweeted today as a comparison between this and Harvey -

EE7FcZwU0AAjslH.jpg

Imelda obviously had a smaller footprint as a weak TS vs a CAT 4 hurricane that hung around too long, but amazing the amount of rain that was deposited over the same comparative time frame.  Of course all of the Imelda data is still preliminary as they need to verify the gauges/mesonets (AND it's still raining in places there).

Great write-up from CWG:

https://mobile.twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1175094043308634118

Reflecting on #Imelda: This short-lived "weak" tropical storm has now unloaded nearly 44 inches of rain in Southeast Texas. It is among the top 5 wettest tropical systems to ever to hit the Lower 48. Our detailed write-up on it is here: https://wapo.st/2msq77K (1/x)

Consider also about #Imelda: * It comes just 25 months after Harvey dumped a U.S. record 60 inches on SE Texas * It dropped 33 inches of rain in 12 hours and rainfall rates up to 11 inches per hour. Many parts of the U.S. don't get 33 inches in an entire year. (2/x)

Southeast Texas has now seen five extreme rain events in the last five years. Several of these produced rainfall that only has a probability of less than 1 in 500 in a given year. Extremely heavy rain has been twice as common since 2000, compared with 1970-1999. (3/x)

Not just Texas seeing exceptional rainfall, disproportionately. 3 of top 10 wettest tropical weather systems (Imelda, Florence and Harvey) on record have now struck US in last 25 months, and 5 states have set new tropical rainfall records (Texas, Ark, Hawaii, NC, SC) (4/x)

From the Jefferson County gauge that I believe has the current peak storm total rainfall... 35.47" of that fell in the 24 hour span from 1:00pm on the 18th through 1:00pm on the 19th. In that window, 8 hours had hourly totals of 2.5" or greater.

Imelda_DD6_24hr.png.0b54c43b5c20fc831cfda176ec3d4922.png

It's been a crazy experience the last few days. I'll have to total it up, but somewhere close to 12" in all. Oddly, I had 28" during Harvey but the street flooding here was just as bad. It came down fast and fierce during that band!

I was awake at about 3:30 am yesterday. Saw the lightning off in the distance. It became like a strobe light - just constant - some of the most continuous lightning I've ever seen in my whole life. It got brighter and brighter, and then I could hear the thunder in the distance. Slowly, the thunder grew louder - closer and closer as we approached daybreak. Talk about an eerie feeling. It was an adrenaline rush (the weather geek in me) and a feeling of dread all at the same time. No sleep for me at that point - I was wired!

Then it hit. It was like a firehose just gushing. The radar doesn't do it justice. Just a continuous waterfall, for a good 4 hours or so. And then, finally, it gradually tapered off. My immediate area somehow escaped the worst. Conroe to the north and metro Houston to the south had a lot more issues than our little area of South Montgomery County.

We are fine - I live on a small ridge - but like what's been posted - some other areas got it a lot worse. These "500" and "1,000" year floods are becoming common....