• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

37 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Agreed this is a great NWF setup.

On a side note Hunter, if I ever see you apologize for a missed forecast again, I am going to come up to Candler and smack you upside the head. Lol. Dude, you were all over this thing and provided an immense amount of knowledge along the way. Thermals screwed up the bottom line but who cares, you forecasted the system very well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

We haven't had any shortage of snow events up here.  Just no robust events.  Maybe this next one will be different.  

I'm gonna disagree for the northern counties, weve had maybe 2 "potential" NWFS events this whole winter. Like there have been flakes falling from the sky 6 maybe 7 times at the most this whole season which is well below the average number of opportunities.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wncsnow said:

I think the setup for later next week is the best of the season for NWFS. The orientation of the moisture looks good and with the ,low bombing out near the northeast it could be a good one...

The GFS looks juicy 

snku_acc.us_ma (2).png

Of course as soon as i post this the Euro looks less impressive and doesn't dig the trough as deep..

On a side note Hunter, if I ever see you apologize for a missed forecast again, I am going to come up to Candler and smack you upside the head. Lol. Dude, you were all over this thing and provided an immense amount of knowledge along the way. Thermals screwed up the bottom line but who cares, you forecasted the system very well.

Thank you. Shouldn’t let people get to me, but at times it happens.

FDA5BCE1-8309-4E67-91AC-1EB44F8F1201.thumb.jpeg.fc20e97ef7f9196dd3e90ec8985411c9.jpeg
Back deck this morning from my wife, I’ll go with 2-2.5” for the total which seems to match up with the report I saw from the NWS. Puts me in the 7.5-8” range for season to date, maybe we can eek out an inch or two of the upcoming NWFS is robust enough to spill over onto my side of the Plott Balsams.  Then bring on a good March event and let’s see where the chips fall.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hvward said:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts on what you think will happen. Too many have chased off a number of the mets, so I'd like to make sure you understand how appreciated you are by those of us that take it in and try to learn from what you write.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hvward said:

Don't sweat them. You made a great call from 5 days out,  pointing out the potential long before most mets and even the models showed much of anything.  Above 3500' your call was good in Macon county.  Below that we couldn't get below freezing.  We would have easily had 6" if all of what fell could have accumulated.  Please keep sharing your thoughts!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The next 7 to 10 days look interesting.  Looks like we might have a few chances of snow and looks like we could possibly see some of the coldest temps of the season coming in. 

Can't really expect winter until March and April in this neck of the woods ;) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, strongwxnc said:

Found some close to spruce pine. Parkway is closed in spots.

Glad you found some snow.  Did some cycling on a closed section of the Parkway near Asheville, no snow at all on the road; a little snow in the woods on the north facing slopes.

Parkway.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tacoma said:

Wow still can't believe the WNC Mountains haven't seen a couple of decent snows.  Don't think I've ever seen weather like this in my 68 years here.  Don't think a year has ever been this bad.

Yes it has happened in 2011/2012. Winter is not over yet though. Still plenty of time to score.

1 hour ago, Tacoma said:

Wow still can't believe the WNC Mountains haven't seen a couple of decent snows.  Don't think I've ever seen weather like this in my 68 years here.  Don't think a year has ever been this bad.

People only remember the good years. 11-12 was a bad year 08-09 was the worst I can remember! There was a few other  bad winters in the early 2000's as well as the 90's. 

• Like 1