• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

26 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Im looking for some possible winter weather the end of the month. We may have a sizable shift in the pattern to bring us some more cold and snow.

It's showing near 80 at the end of next week for around AVL. 

Even if it does cool down, I think cold will be relative to the time of year. In a year where we had trouble getting cold enough in January, it's surely going to be hard in late March, especially when it's pushing 50 all the way up near the Canadian border. I read that rivers in the Dakota's are already above flood stage due to snowmelt. It's really going to be hard for that air to cool enough down south if it's not running across a frozen tundra to our north.

I'm not meaning to be a Debbie downer but I just don't see it. Not this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

It's showing near 80 at the end of next week for around AVL. 

Even if it does cool down, I think cold will be relative to the time of year. In a year where we had trouble getting cold enough in January, it's surely going to be hard in late March, especially when it's pushing 50 all the way up near the Canadian border. I read that rivers in the Dakota's are already above flood stage due to snowmelt. It's really going to be hard for that air to cool enough down south if it's not running across a frozen tundra to our north.

I'm not meaning to be a Debbie downer but I just don't see it. Not this year.

Oh yeah I understand what you are talking about but all we need is for the NAO and AO to cooperate just a but. Its been very cold up in the northern parts and I personally dont think it would be that hard to get cold in her at all. Several years ago I saw it near 90 degrees one week in March then the next week we had 6 inches of snow otg. It can and will happen again.  Ironically our coldest time period this season was actually in November. I see no reason we dont have a backend cold period similar.  We will see though I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time lol 

Looks like a mega high pressure will build in late this weekend and provide a strong CAD setup for Sunday into Monday.  Could have some mixing around WNC.  Both Euro and GFS show the potential.   CMC shows a coastal developing with this one, so this has my interest.  Will be interested to see where it goes.

• Like 3

NAO & AO finally going negative of course.  Looks like a long period of cold is going to keep me from starting all the veggies that aren't frost tolerant in my garden.  I am hoping we don't get a deep freeze because my strawberries, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, mulberries, and blackberries are all beginning to leaf out.  A deep frost now would be devastating to many local farmers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...