• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

10 hours ago, mryanwilkes said:

I am taking the family up to Sugar Mtn. this weekend for the kids' first snow/tubing trip.  I'm sure that the slope itself has a slightly different climate than Boone, but those several days this week of staying above freezing (even at night) are a little worrisome.  Anyone in that area that can speak to snowmelt in mid 40's temps?

Thanks!

Drove by the slopes today and they looked good...didn't see any 'brown' spots...warmer rain tomorrow won't help-but looks like cooler temps Thursday and Friday, so they'll be blowing snow

• Thanks 1

I am still intrigued with Thursday.  Most recent 12km NAM & 3km is limiting that warm nose at 700mb and could allow some sloppy flakes to fall during heavy precipitation bursts.  Then the 12km has a bit of deformation action on the backside Thursday night.  Still several details need to be resolved and 1-2 degrees here is going to make a huge difference for valley locations.  Continuing to watch soundings.   Elevations above 3500' should see 2"-4".

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Rain. And more rain. Woke to thunder this morning and it has been pouring ever since. Almost an inch already. I'm sick of rain.

Seems like it's always one extreme or the other with precip around here.  

That storm was LOUD this morning.  I bet my dogs are still hiding in the basement. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hvward said:

I am still intrigued with Thursday.  Most recent 12km NAM & 3km is limiting that warm nose at 700mb and could allow some sloppy flakes to fall during heavy precipitation bursts.  Then the 12km has a bit of deformation action on the backside Thursday night.  Still several details need to be resolved and 1-2 degrees here is going to make a huge difference for valley locations.  Continuing to watch soundings.   Elevations above 3500' should see 2"-4".

worth leaving Boone Thursday night instead of Early Friday morning for my 7am flight out of Asheville?

24 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

worth leaving Boone Thursday night instead of Early Friday morning for my 7am flight out of Asheville?

Could be.  Not sure how that trailing precipitation is going to act.  All depends on the phase and when it occurs.  GFS has it moving in around 8am so I guess we shall see.

2 hours ago, Hvward said:

12z Euro is basically a complete whiff for everyone.

That's not quite the death blow this season that it's been in years past though, right?.  I'm gonna miss out on this one regardless, my mom had a stroke (she's fine) so I'm going to be in Columbia this weekend.  I hope it's a good one for y'all!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's not quite the death blow this season that it's been in years past though, right?.  I'm gonna miss out on this one regardless, my mom had a stroke (she's fine) so I'm going to be in Columbia this weekend.  I hope it's a good one for y'all!

Sorry to hear about your mom buddy. Hope her recovery is quick and painless!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Sorry to hear about your mom. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family for a speedy recovery. 

• Thanks 1

Anybody watching the NAM? Another 3”-4” event for Asheville Thursday afternoon and into the night. Not really sure what to think. Absolutely nothing else shows this. Looking at the soundings the column around Asheville goes frozen right as the heavy precip moves in. Weak LP keeps that warm nose down. Cold air source is very meager. That’s the problem here, but NAM says it’s enough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Anybody watching the NAM? Another 3”-4” event for Asheville Thursday afternoon and into the night. Not really sure what to think. Absolutely nothing else shows this. Looking at the soundings the column around Asheville goes frozen right as the heavy precip moves in. Weak LP keeps that warm nose down. Cold air source is very meager. That’s the problem here, but NAM says it’s enough.

Most years I would say the NAM is off it’s rocker, but it’s hard to discount this year. I believe elevations above 3500 feet might be able to score some snow.

• Like 1