• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Had right at 4 inches for the two waves. Good to see but as BH pointed out we very well might go the entire season without a snowfall of more than a few inches at a time. Even in the mountains time is running out. Maybe we can get one those March paste jobs that drops 12 inches of Appalachian applesauce on us. Love those types of storms.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

Folks in the mid to long term are ready to slap a grade on this winter...I posted the comment below...

Just to note-the largest snows we've had in NC occurred in March and April...

March 13, 1993 and April 2-6, 1987

Not ready to stamp a 'grade' on this winter yet...

Eh...for a lot of people unless a miracle happens at this point are done with winter. Granted miracles can happen, but overall the way this winter had been...

• Like 1

Some morning thoughts on the pattern the next few weeks. Currently the GFS is picking up on the snow potential for the 6th and the 7th this Friday and Saturday.  Like Ward said the details are still to be worked out but there is a strong signal there. We may see something else down the road but that is some 10 days out. So low probability currently.  The AO and NAO look to continue to be no help. It is unreal how stable they both have been this winter. The NAO has been positive since December basically and the AO has been positive since the end of December and that trend looks to continue through the month of March. So no rubberband effect this spring which I think will leads us into an early warm period that will last a long while.

• Like 1

Hope Buncombe County can get in on a little of that.  :snowwindow:

At Hr 84 the column is nearly frozen. Wet bulb would probably slow for moisture to fall is snow. Several EPS members also have the chance for a dusting or so either from a front end thump, or a backside push of moisture. Several possibilities here.
  • Like 1

Some morning thoughts on the pattern the next few weeks. Currently the GFS is picking up on the snow potential for the 6th and the 7th this Friday and Saturday.  Like Ward said the details are still to be worked out but there is a strong signal there. We may see something else down the road but that is some 10 days out. So low probability currently.  The AO and NAO look to continue to be no help. It is unreal how stable they both have been this winter. The NAO has been positive since December basically and the AO has been positive since the end of December and that trend looks to continue through the month of March. So no rubberband effect this spring which I think will leads us into an early warm period that will last a long while.

Give me 3 more hybrid clippers and I’ll be satisfied. Lol
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Thursday could do it front side above 3,500 FT, but more likely at/above 4,000 FT. NAM is cold surface temps, but has a warm nose at 700 mb, though it's early to drill down that far on the NAM. Euro holds 700 mb below freezing, but surface temps are right only above 4,000 FT.

Also got the NWFS section Friday. Overall paint me optimistic for the true mountains and ski areas. Lower elevations cliff dive advisory could be upgraded to warning (552 thickness). Anyway it looks like the ski areas can get another good weekend which is nice for business.

• Like 3

I am taking the family up to Sugar Mtn. this weekend for the kids' first snow/tubing trip.  I'm sure that the slope itself has a slightly different climate than Boone, but those several days this week of staying above freezing (even at night) are a little worrisome.  Anyone in that area that can speak to snowmelt in mid 40's temps?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Hvward said:

At Hr 84 the column is nearly frozen. Wet bulb would probably slow for moisture to fall is snow. Several EPS members also have the chance for a dusting or so either from a front end thump, or a backside push of moisture. Several possibilities here.

Sounds good buddy here's hoping we all get a little more.  Thanks for all your input and explaining it all to us.

• Like 1

Decent signal on the 12z EPS, and euro had some light snow on its 12z run. Wasn’t able to get away last weekend, but should be able to this weekend if things can pan out. 

EPS sniffing out some big dogs like the crazy 12z gfs run the other day in the longer range 

75111F17-F4FE-4F4A-8142-2DEE3B0FBE02.png