• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

On 2/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, Hvward said:

Really liking the setup for Thursday, we have done ok in these type of overrunning events here in WNC. Think back to early Dec of 2017.

Models tend to under-do that northern periphery of moisture and its extent.

Gotta give you props.

Even tho we didn't get the accumulations expected with the meager rates and above freezing temps. This was still a great call when models were showing close to nothing.  Great pattern recognition!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Gotta give you props.

Even tho we didn't get the accumulations expected with the meager rates and above freezing temps. This was still a great call when models were showing close to nothing.  Great pattern recognition!

Thanks man! Would love to see that deformation feature showing up on the KMRX Radar give everyone a surprise dusting-1” tonight.

• Like 3

Just now, wncsnow said:

I'm out driving around and we have some light rain and drizzle in parts of McDowell.. Its going to be a skating rink later if the wind doesn't pick up

Yes I was thinking the same thing. As you mentioned, only saving grace is if we get some good wind blowing through here. I think that batch in some form makes it across the mtns too so that will add to it as well. Wouldn’t be too concerned if temps were only going to be around 30 but NWS says 22. 

16 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Yes I was thinking the same thing. As you mentioned, only saving grace is if we get some good wind blowing through here. I think that batch in some form makes it across the mtns too so that will add to it as well. Wouldn’t be too concerned if temps were only going to be around 30 but NWS says 22. 

Yeah, no winds here. It'll be a Kerrigan / Harding special in the morning! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wncsnow said:

My forecast-

Haywood/Jackson/Swain- Generally 2-5

Buncombe/Madison/Henderson- Generally 1 to 3

Yancey/Mitchell/Avery- 1 to 3 inches

Asheville City- 1.5

Boone- 1.5 

Hendersonville- 2

Marion/Morganton- 1 inch grassy areas 

Rutherfordton- .5 to 1 inch grassy areas 

Jackpot for WNC- Rainforrest- 5.5 inches 

Snow will fall most of the day but will gave trouble accumulating due to low rates and marginal temperatures. 

My forecast turned out ok but I missed out for Rainforrest and was a bit high in some other areas. I thought I was conservative but not enough. Each storm is a learning experience..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

My forecast turned out ok but I missed out for Rainforrest and was a bit high in some other areas. I thought I was conservative but not enough. Each storm is a learning experience..

Marion Morganton Asheville and Boone was spot on. I know Woodlawn reported a inch. 

• Like 1

What a winter in Boone, another dud. Around an inch. Sad when places in eastern NC get more in one storm than we’ve had all season. Congrats to the folks down East!

Drove from Boone to Norfolk Virginia this afternoon/evening. Consistent snow from Winston Salem to Norfolk. Didn’t hit accumulations until Henderson, NC. Took HWY 52 in Virginia and the conditions deteriorated the further east we went (temp stayed steady at 34). Passed 8 snow plows in total heading west on 52, one about every 7-10 minutes. Caught up to 0 trucks heading east lol. About 15 minutes outside of Norfolk started to get into a rain snow mix and temp of 36. It’s now mostly snow, very wet snow that’s not accumulating well.

• Like 3

Euro still looks interesting and that is the best trough I've seen all winter. We will see though. Like everything else we will monitor it. 

It has snowed all night here. We have picked up another half inch. We actually have moderate snow falling now but this stuff is super dry. It has been very steady though. 

• Like 2

Euro still looks interesting and that is the best trough I've seen all winter. We will see though. Like everything else we will monitor it. 

It has snowed all night here. We have picked up another half inch. We actually have moderate snow falling now but this stuff is super dry. It has been very steady though. 

The joys of living in the mountains of WNC. In other news, it’s 27 here. Wonder if they rain from yesterday could roll back today :)

17 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I bet you get 4 to 6 inches later this week with the NWFS

I'm not sure that the atmosphere can support that kind of snowfall this season.  That would be sweet though!

11/12/19: 2"
11/24/19: 1"
12/1-2/19: 2.75"
12/10-11: 2"
12/14/19: 1.25"
12/17/19: 1"
1/4/20: 1.75"
1/7/20: 1.5"
1/20-21/20: 3"
1/25/20: 1"
1/27/20: 3"
1/30/20: .75"
1/31/20: .75"
2/2/20: 1.50"
2/8/20: 3.50"
2/9/20: 2.50"
2/20/20: 3.50"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I'm not sure that the atmosphere can support that kind of snowfall this season.  That would be sweet though!

11/12/19: 2"
11/24/19: 1"
12/1-2/19: 2.75"
12/10-11: 2"
12/14/19: 1.25"
12/17/19: 1"
1/4/20: 1.75"
1/7/20: 1.5"
1/20-21/20: 3"
1/25/20: 1"
1/27/20: 3"
1/30/20: .75"
1/31/20: .75"
2/2/20: 1.50"
2/8/20: 3.50"
2/9/20: 2.50"
2/20/20: 3.50"

For sure! Seems like if there is a way for us to get screwed we will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

I think the setup for later next week is the best of the season for NWFS. The orientation of the moisture looks good and with the ,low bombing out near the northeast it could be a good one...

The GFS looks juicy 

snku_acc.us_ma (2).png

Already more excited for this than whatever you call this last storm. Time to catch back up for the season!!!

• Like 2