• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

15 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Ended up with about 1.5 inches here. Further toward Balsam really got it good. A nice wintery ass appeal for the day. 

We had more than 2” when I last got an update from the wife a couple hours ago. See how much I measure when I get home in 2 hours, hopefully there’s still some of that appeal left :lol:

• Haha 1

Back in Haywood County picking up dinnsr, can see clouds pushed up against the Balsams and Smokies squeezing out all the moisture they can (wife said it still feels like the house is in a snow globe).  Feel good about my chances of pulling into 3”+ and breaking the 6” mark for the season.  Only about 15-20” to go to hit what I’m estimating the average for our area is, doubt we get there but I’m sure I’ll be trout fishing and turkey hunting in the cold all during April. 

ETA:  Looks like 2” (maybe 2.5” if there was compaction/sublimation between when it stopped accumulating and now when I measured) seems to be what we got, thought for sure we’d be at 3” from the pics I got earlier from my wife with it still snowing and already having what looked to be 2”.  Oh well, make it 5-5.5” for the season.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

It's been a terrible winter for everyone east of the Rockies.  

Believe it's been a good year for the midwest. Just going off my memory.  I know Indiana has scored several nice events. (Not that it makes it any better for us or the east coast, lol)

47 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Believe it's been a good year for the midwest. Just going off my memory.  I know Indiana has scored several nice events. (Not that it makes it any better for us or the east coast, lol)

Reading the lakes/Ohio valley thread it's been a bad year. Its picked up the last couple weeks with the cutters. But for the most part they're below normal 

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Reading the lakes/Ohio valley thread it's been a bad year. Its picked up the last couple weeks with the cutters. But for the most part they're below normal 

I went deer hunting in Terre Haute, Indiana the 2nd week of November and got blasted with 4 inches of snow while I was in the stand and temps dropped to 5 degrees with a high of 12 the next day. Turns out that was the coldest air the Eastern US has seen all winter.

• Like 1

Just came from working in Ohio, Columbus area and South from there.  Been working there since November.  Thursday night/Friday morning was the biggest snow they’ve had all year if I recall correctly.  A whopping 3” with maybe another 1/2”-1” this morning depending on where you were and there haven’t been many snows in general when I’ve been up there, one or two other dustings but that’s it.  Lots of Apps runners but too warm for most of Ohio.  I know our guys working around Ft Wayne, Indiana have had to deal with quite a bit but even then well below average and I don’t think any big snows, I think 6” was the most while someone was there from our company.

• Like 1

Nice one! Indiana is on my list of states to hunt in the future, I’ve seen some big ones while working.  2017 and last year I was in north-Central Nebraska and 2018 NW Missouri for my November hunts.  Also went to Colorado for my first elk hunt last year October, -1 scouting the morning before the opener, didn’t get out of the teens the next day and then I spent all night in single digits quartering and hanging meat. Here’s my Nebraska mulie this year, also tagged out on a 10 pt later in the week after a dusting of snow and cold front blasted through:

ABC3A210-503B-475A-B7C3-2BED055C4194.jpeg

Missouri in the snow:

1C944CF8-D6D9-47E7-96D4-7E03DEA6C908.thumb.jpeg.10e8b582116659c27ae49ba82bf8ee40.jpeg

Lots of edits = my phone hates me and kept throwing random memes and pics in the post :facepalm:

• Like 7