• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

2 hours ago, BhamParker said:

I really would like to thank y’all for the suggestion yesterday on driving up to highlands. That was a beautiful drive with the national forest and all of the streams. The snow was beautiful. 

I really think I’ve become a permanent North Carolina mountain person. We are at Joeys pancake house right now waiting on a table and Maggie valley is a nice little town. 

Models are kinda all over the place for tonight but hopefully we will see some flakes. Maybe there will be enough energy for a surprise. We will definitely be back for a real big snow!

Anytime! I'm not sure we're you're staying in Maggie,  but if you take 19west towards Cherokee,  Bryson city. At the top of the mtn just a few miles up from tube world is soco gap.  You can turn left onto the parkway which is closed but its 4500' and a great sledding hill. You should be good for an inch or possibly 2 there overnight.  If you want a beautiful drive back home take 19w to 74 w and follow that around Fontana lake, through the nantahala gorge and ocoee gorge. This will take you into  SE Tennessee not too far from Chattanooga. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Anytime! I'm not sure we're you're staying in Maggie,  but if you take 19west towards Cherokee,  Bryson city. At the top of the mtn just a few miles up from tube world is soco gap.  You can turn left onto the parkway which is closed but its 4500' and a great sledding hill. You should be good for an inch or possibly 2 there overnight.  If you want a beautiful drive back home take 19w to 74 w and follow that around Fontana lake, through the nantahala gorge and ocoee gorge. This will take you into  SE Tennessee not too far from Chattanooga. 

We are off of summit drive about a mile and a half up the mountain. It’s amazing how quick it’ll take you up. We are only 3800 feet and it feels like we are on top of the world.

I should probably get a little more optimistic about some flakes tonight. It seems like I may be in a favorable spot for something. We are going to hit up Soco gap in a couple of hours and then drive up to the catalooche ski area. Joeys was fantastic for breakfast but fairly crowded. We are only a 10-12 minute ride from Tube world, I saw it this morning. I’d be pumped if we got lucky and got a .5 inch to an inch tonight. I could see a little snow on the highest peaks of the mountains this morning. 

• Like 1

NWS backing off of there earlier morning forecast of snow levels dropping to around 3,000 feet. Hopefully they are wrong. 

At the surface, winds are generally W/WSW except for the mountains,
where WNWrly flow has begun. This has scattered out the remnants of
the surface wedge, with most everyone outside the mountains finally
breaking out of overcast conditions and actually seeing the sun.
There is a bit of moisture associated with the passing upper
shortwave moving across the area which will keep light shower
activity going near the NC/TN border through this evening, though
some of the moisture may break containment to produce some brief and
light showers this afternoon in the NC Piedmont. Confidence in this
possibility is low, however, and and all shower chances in the
Piedmont should be over by sunset. As the shortwave moves eastward
tonight, skies outside of the mountain zones will clear out even
more, and just enough shallow surface moisture will remain along the
TN/NC border to allow for some NW flow snow showers on the very
highest peaks. No snow is expected below 4000ft, and even above
5000ft will only result in 1-2" totals.

Ran into a heavy snow shower up at the blue ridge parkway and it coated everything real nice for a bit. Soco falls is also beautiful. 

Picking up a pizza at Cafe Italiano and then taking it easy in the cabin and watching the Alabama basketball game. Will be ready for some action tonight. 

2D147033-2C85-4D48-937C-3B31ADE4597A.jpeg

F959342F-5707-4D54-B2A2-4C0D14FC3BD9.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, BhamParker said:

NWS in there latest update still saying 1-2 inches 4000ft and higher, so Met1985 may be right about being patient. I know it’s plenty cold enough to fall as snow here, we just need some moisture to filter in. 

Unfortunately the radar says there’s no moisture past this last batch rolling through now. Just not enough energy with this system to generate its own moisture.