• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Just got home from CLT. Went north on 16. Nothing on ground until construction zone began. Then nothing in Conover either. Got home and still a good half inch here. Based on my wife's description, I think we had an inch several hours ago before the heaviest stuff ended.

adb80c0ea120b8cfadebb5a55a7f0da6.jpg

37e2626a744bf5d4a7e66a5947c4120b.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

3.5 inches for the southern escarpment and not even an advisory from nws_gsp. Shameful.

There has been a lot of chatter from NWS offices around the country in the last year or so trying to make the argument that the new 5G network currently going up all over will only interfere with the weather satellite transmission and could potentially lead to missed data and less accurate forecasts. Of course the government did their best to shoot that theory down...No one knows if this has potential or not. But, what if this could possibly be the reason why this happened today, who knows? This was just a surprise snow missed by just a several hours by the NWS what if this was a potential severe weather event with a real tornado threat that the models missed this bad...Then you will be talking about some serious ramifications...

• Like 1

While I wanted just to idly sit and watch it fall, I had a recording session (tomorrow) that I needed to set up for...

It snowed here right up until around 4.  Might have been a bit of rain mixed in once when I stopped to look.  Still snow on the decks.

Sure was a nice, purdy surprise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:
2 hours ago, Buckethead said:
Picked up another .75" of snow today.  You can tell how bad of a season it's been when I'm counting the ones under an inch lol.

How many T's add up to an inch? Wondering for a friend.

3 T's = a skiff

2 skiffs = a dusting

4 dustings = an inch

1 inch = a nickel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

I’m staying at the top of sugar..probably 5300 feet..it’s a different world up here..3k nam looks interesting for tomorrow. Might squeak out 3-6”

Nice.   Here over on Beech at 4650.  Not trying to be a party pooper but the 3k NAM often overdoes NW flow type snow events. 

• Sad 1

Hay guys a couple of good thoughts are winter is not even half over yet plus the groundhog will see his shadow tomorrow.  Instead of six more weeks of winter you might say finally six weeks of winter weather, here's hoping the rest of our winter we'll score a couple of times.  We all know in this area some of our biggest snowstorms have been in March and one or two in April.  We will probably be colder when spring gets here will be our luck when we're all ready for spring, so hang in there gents.  :snowwindow:

I really would like to thank y’all for the suggestion yesterday on driving up to highlands. That was a beautiful drive with the national forest and all of the streams. The snow was beautiful. 

I really think I’ve become a permanent North Carolina mountain person. We are at Joeys pancake house right now waiting on a table and Maggie valley is a nice little town. 

Models are kinda all over the place for tonight but hopefully we will see some flakes. Maybe there will be enough energy for a surprise. We will definitely be back for a real big snow!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BhamParker said:

I really would like to thank y’all for the suggestion yesterday on driving up to highlands. That was a beautiful drive with the national forest and all of the streams. The snow was beautiful. 

I really think I’ve become a permanent North Carolina mountain person. We are at Joeys pancake house right now waiting on a table and Maggie valley is a nice little town. 

Models are kinda all over the place for tonight but hopefully we will see some flakes. Maybe there will be enough energy for a surprise. We will definitely be back for a real big snow!

Glad you enjoyed it! Honestly the whole western half of the state has a lot to offer. If you ever get the opportunity, pick a nice day and ride the Blue Ridge parkway from the southern most starting point to Watauga County. You won’t regret it.

• Like 3