• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

42 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Well, I got another 3".

I put a quarter and a nickel in the piggyback today, Joe!13f727f58a447bd62ca54a7645ed5fe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Ha! I only got a little over two inches. By the end of this awful winter we should have enough money to buy a bag of ice melt that we won't need.

In the next 2 months I'll need three 12 inch snows and a 8 incher just to get to my 30 year average. Don't believe we'll get there.

Tough mountain forecast this weekend. I booked a place on Sugar but I’m not paying $400 for the weekend to ski in a rain snow mix. I feel pretty good about it but Ray is still on the fence so that gives me cause for concern. Do you think we’ll know what we’re looking at for areas above 4K feet by Wednesday evening? Thanks

1 minute ago, WarmNose said:

Tough mountain forecast this weekend. I booked a place on Sugar but I’m not paying $400 for the weekend to ski in a rain snow mix. I feel pretty good about it but Ray is still on the fence so that gives me cause for concern. Do you think we’ll know what we’re looking at for areas above 4K feet by Wednesday evening? Thanks

Well Ray isnt that good of a forecaster. I would say based on current models that it should be snow above 4k and worth the trip. But who knows the way models have been going the past 48 hours honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BhamParker said:

I will be making my first trip to Maggie Valley this weekend. Our place will be 3,770 feet in elevation, so hopefully we will be okay. I am looking forward to the weekend! Great pics from today!

Good luck. You can always make an easy drive to soco gap above 4000ft or head up to cataloochee. 

Hopefully we can get a well timed phase and get a nice storm out of it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WarmNose said:

You can get a rain/snow mix for free just staying home! Gonna be a window of an opportunity Feb 5-14th!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ha! I only got a little over two inches. By the end of this awful winter we should have enough money to buy a bag of ice melt that we won't need.
In the next 2 months I'll need three 12 inch snows and a 8 incher just to get to my 30 year average. Don't believe we'll get there.
I'm not sure what my 30 year average is here but I'm guessing it's pretty close to yours. Either way, yeah, we aren't getting there this winter.

Where would I find info on that 30 year average? @Hvward is there a map somewhere?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BretWheatley said:

Likewise. Hell, at this point I'd take an inch and be happy down here, haha. 

Yeah I mean the story of this winter is hedge on a warmer less snowy solution and you'll be ok. Sadly so far this winter has been extremely lackluster.  But we don't complain much in the mountain thread. We take what we can get. We can still pull a rabbit out of the hat as late as April around here...

• Like 2

Yeah I mean the story of this winter is hedge on a warmer less snowy solution and you'll be ok. Sadly so far this winter has been extremely lackluster.  But we don't complain much in the mountain thread. We take what we can get. We can still pull a rabbit out of the hat as late as April around here...

I'm grateful to be over 20" this season.  I'd like one big one but whether or not it happens, I won't complain.

March 2018 I picked up 28.5" of snow. There's still PLENTY of time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I'm not sure what my 30 year average is here but I'm guessing it's pretty close to yours. Either way, yeah, we aren't getting there this winter.

Where would I find info on that 30 year average? @Hvward is there a map somewhere?

image.thumb.jpeg.7a680fb8b2ef0e8cc1ec3a3f46bd9770.jpeg

This is the 20 year average, hard to really tell in the non-valley areas.  I’m around 20” a year it looks like.  Wish you could see individual counties or have a map that you could zoom in on a location and the resolution would be better.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7a680fb8b2ef0e8cc1ec3a3f46bd9770.jpeg

This is the 20 year average, hard to really tell in the non-valley areas.  I’m around 20” a year it looks like.  Wish you could see individual counties or have a map that you could zoom in on a location and the resolution would be better.

I remember when they made this graphic they took a lot of flack. This is an edited version of the original. The original omitted a couple seasons of data including big winters of 1988 and another so the totals are lower than expected for some still. My 30 year average in Marion is around 10 inches not 6.6. 

• Like 1