• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

19 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

We have to live and die by each mode run because we don’t get snow like you guys do.  I’m super envious of the climate in the southern apps.  NWFS is some good stuff but I get some token flurries while an hour or so north gets painted with snows! 

It’s been disappointing up here too this year. Yes, I have picked up 2.2 inches but a lot of the time I have that by the end of the first week of December. I’m hopeful we’re heading towards a pattern that a lot of us on here can at least score a decent event.

59 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Pretty telling when Boone has gotten so little snow! I think even those other guys have only seen nickle events. While they would have been significant events for me they were just tease events for them. 

Yeah, still waiting on something over 3" up here, but I lived in central SC for 30 years.  Believe me, I feel fortunate to live where I do. 

Tuesday continues to interest me...

Screenshot_20200115-233812_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Yeah, still waiting on something over 3" up here, but I lived in central SC for 30 years.  Believe me, I feel fortunate to live where I do. 

Tuesday continues to interest me...

Screenshot_20200115-233812_Chrome.jpg

I have been looking at that as well. That could yield a little something for you guys up there. Not sure if it can eek out a flurry in the Piedmont but we shall see.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

My thoughts on winter at this point: how many days til spring? Looks like I'm gonna be moving away from the mountains in May and cant get more than an inch or two. Maybe we will get lucky, but cant really get within a week of something nice in prime climo.

Enjoy your last few months up there man. I left last May and live in the triangle now and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. 

13 hours ago, NC_WX10 said:

Enjoy your last few months up there man. I left last May and live in the triangle now and would move back in a heartbeat if I could. 

Yea, honestly I either want snow, or have it be warm so I can go hiking a few more times. Probably either gonna be in the Greensboro area or out west so we shall see soon enough.

21 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Seems like "hoping" is all we've been doing this winter. I'm getting irritated.

I usually avoid posting in the mountain thread since it has been years since I lived up there. However, today I got a piece of inside information about an ominous sign sent directly from the old man of the mountain himself.  My daughter has been a keeper at the Grandfather Mountain Wildlife Center for several years. She paid me a visit today and told me that for the first time since she has been there the bears have not gone into anything resembling hibernation even though they have cut their food allowance greatly to encourage it. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, jburns said:

I usually avoid posting in the mountain thread since it has been years since I lived up there. However, today I got a piece of inside information about an ominous sign sent directly from the old man of the mountain himself.  My daughter has been a keeper at the Grandfather Mountain Wildlife Center for several years. She paid me a visit today and told me that for the first time since she has been there the bears have not gone into anything resembling hibernation even though they have cut their food allowance greatly to encourage it. 

The bears were roaming around my neighborhood the other day as well.  I have seen them out in January before but don't remember how winter panned out after that.

56 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

The bears were roaming around my neighborhood the other day as well.  I have seen them out in January before but don't remember how winter panned out after that.

Very interesting. I wonder if the everlasting summer with mega heat into October had something to do with it, maybe they thought the season was never going to change?

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Wind chill advisory for the mountains! Its going to get cold fellas!

Yep, models pumping out single digit temps and below zero windchill temps here in the Balsams.  Shock to the system, I was in Ohio working in spring-like temps all last week.  Good for Winter to decide and make an appearance finally.

• Like 1

Looking at the threat for Friday night and into Saturday.. Several EPS members support the OP with the idea of a surface low cutting under the apps as a phase occurs in the upper levels.  Where exactly that phase occurs is a big unknown.  This past Euro run goes along with what the ICON has shown as well for the past several runs.  Heavy precipitation falls into a close to frozen column, and in some areas dynamic cooling could keep the precip as snow.  That might become a buzz word in the next couple of days if what the Euro shows is correct.  Nonetheless glad to have a few things to track, its been a while..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Looking at the threat for Friday night and into Saturday.. Several EPS members support the OP with the idea of a surface low cutting under the apps as a phase occurs in the upper levels.  Where exactly that phase occurs is a big unknown.  This past Euro run goes along with what the ICON has shown as well for the past several runs.  Heavy precipitation falls into a close to frozen column, and in some areas dynamic cooling could keep the precip as snow.  That might become a buzz word in the next couple of days if what the Euro shows is correct.  Nonetheless glad to have a few things to track, its been a while..

GFS and Euro about 500 mile apart at 5h currently, So something has to give...

• Like 2