• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

31 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

A little bit of everything falling here. Temp is at 31.4 but has been rising slowly since 4 am. I still have some snow on the ground from last weekend so it's hard to tell but I don't think much of this is sticking. Looks like it'll be all rain in a hour or two.

If everything goes as planned that heavier batch moving in from TN should turn back to snow and end as snow before it all moves out sometime after 3pm. 

• Like 1

Blacksburg/Christiansburg, VA: nice big flakes, dumped ~2 inches from 6 AM to 9 AM then abruptly shut down around 9:15. Radar looks like we're in a dry slot with signal to the east and west. Flipped to sleet around 10 AM. Would love to get some more flakes but I think we're done with snow and will only see mixed precip now.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Just went to my house for lunch, 27° and light snow still with around 1.5" on the ground.  Add another nickel and dime to the piggy bank.  

I got a few sleet pellets down here, so I guess we’re just counting pennies off the mountain lol. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Today's forecast for Fairbanks, AK. Can you imagine.

Thursday

Patchy ice fog. Sunny, with a high near -41. Wind chill values as low as -65. Northeast wind around 5 mph.

Ice fog?!  Fortunately, it's only "patchy".  Can you drive through a fog of ice?  Does it hurt to walk into it?  Is it penetrable? :D

Just. Crazy. Cold. Amazing.

Edit:  I just checked their forecast on NWS too.  It adds the phrase, "Sunny".  Can you actually use that phrase when there are less than 5 hours of "daytime" and the sun will be very low on the horizon?  The ice fog may actually obscure it.  :lol:

Edit 2:  Reading their AFD is just unreal.  Check this out:  "For the Fairbanks areas, near power plants, some industrial flurries may occur as the atmosphere wrings out the moisture in the power plant plumes."  Industrial flurries!  I don't think you should make snow cream with that snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Edit 2:  Reading their AFD is just unreal.  Check this out:  "For the Fairbanks areas, near power plants, some industrial flurries may occur as the atmosphere wrings out the moisture in the power plant plumes."  Industrial flurries!  I don't think you should make snow cream with that snow.

Mommy, why is Frosty glowing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

The mountain peeps wait and see. 

That's one thing I love about our group.  We don't live and die with every run.  

In other news, it is seriously windy tonight!  Several gusts over 50 mph in the last few hours with a max of 59.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

That's one thing I love about our group.  We don't live and die with every run.  

In other news, it is seriously windy tonight!  Several gusts over 50 mph in the last few hours with a max of 59.

Just wait until later today unto into tonight... Windy city baby! Yeah we have a great level headed group. This is the way...

• Like 1