• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

3 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

We have over an inch at home and its hammering still. Of course im at Disney lol...

Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll get a Miller A that crushes us while I’m working the 2 week on portion of my 2 on/1 off schedule on this upcoming Ohio project lol

• Haha 2

Measured 2” on elevated surfaces such as my fence and deck, 1” on the walkway in the front with light snow still falling.  Not much but the most we’ve had while I’ve been home since moving here in mid-Feb last year and the first to event to top the 1/2” mark, let alone the 1” mark this season.  

• Like 3

It was nice to see some snow yesterday but it's still nickles and dimes. This one was a nickle. Only 2 inches here but the roads are terrible this morning. Ice all over the place. Went out for breakfast this morning and had a few white knuckle moments. 

We need a good storm. But it doesn't look like we'll get one for a while. Sad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Yea Tuesday morning is looking more interesting even for northern foothill areas possibly getting some wet snow for a few hours if the NAM is correct. 

I could see even our area pick up a dusting to a half inch in places if it's heavy enough temps are warm if we can get it in here by 12z i think we got a shot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

It was nice to see some snow yesterday but it's still nickles and dimes. This one was a nickle. Only 2 inches here but the roads are terrible this morning. Ice all over the place. Went out for breakfast this morning and had a few white knuckle moments. 

We need a good storm. But it doesn't look like we'll get one for a while. Sad.

I think I got about 2", but before I actually measured the wind picked up in the 30-40mph with a few gusts over 50 and stayed there for the better part of two hours.  There's still about 1.75" on the ground so I'm going with that.  

It's a good thing I have so much practice at being disappointed by winter from my time in Columbia.  Underwhelming season thus far. 

Oh, and sorry HvWard, I couldn't share any videos since I'm in fb jail...again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure the nam is amped...but WRF and RGEM both has snow breaking out in all of WNC at the end of there runs 48hr. I remember a weak wave in March of 14 I think that produced 3in here in marion. NWS went with flurries the night before when all of short range guidence was all over it GSP even said when it was over that it met warning criteria but it was to late to issue point is systems like this are sneaky.

• Like 3

More slop in the morning.

Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-Caldwell Mountains-Burke Mountains-
McDowell Mountains-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Swiss,
Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick, Spruce Pine,
Poplar, Jonas Ridge, Ashford, Woodlawn, and Old Fort
330 AM EST Mon Jan 6 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 4 PM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations of
  1 to 2 inches expected, along with a light glaze of ice from
  freezing rain and brief sleet.

* WHERE...The northern mountains of western North Carolina,
  especially across Avery County and also the higher elevations
  throughout the northern mountains.

* WHEN...From 1 AM to 4 PM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions developing Tuesday
  morning. The hazardous conditions may well impact the morning
  commute.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Not necessarily doubting it, but where is the moisture coming from for this minor event tonight? Radar shows nothing in the entire southeast. We go under a WWA in a little over 6 hours. Seems strange to me.

You will start seeing the radar light up around midnight as the upper level energy swings through and spawns a surface low

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1