• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Woke up to a about the same Met, drove through snow last night from Williamsburg, KY  to Newport, TN, then it was a rain/snow mix from there to about Fines Creek (that was due to rates it seemed).  So figured we would see something once moisture got over the mountains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Another two incher here. Third one of the winter. We need a good snow by Christmas. It's 17.4 and looks to stay cold for a few days so at least this snow will hang around for a while which is nice.

Ditto for me. 2".  Better than nothing,  but this time last year I was approaching 2' for the season.   I'm ready for a real snow.  

20191211_100101.jpg

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

This could be the best picture I've ever seen posted on this entire site, what a shot!

Thanks!  That was the first time I shot a moonscape with my new fisheye lens.  We also saw several (for lack of a better word) UFOs to the east towards Mcdowell/Burke County. They would alternate between barely visible and as bright as the ISS repeatedly.  Thought they might be aircraft but they stayed perfectly still for over ten minutes. Thought they might be satellites, but I've never seen satellites change color or reilluminate after going into the umbra.  

And now yall think I'm crazy, lol.

_DSC0016 (1).jpg

20191211_230645.jpg

20191211_231214.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Buckethead, that might have been Venus and Saturn though I'd have to look it up...

There were three more in a perfect line before that pic was taken.  It wasn't until they disappeared that I thought to get a pic.   And they reappeared after 20-30 minutes.  Stellarium doesnt show much of anything in that area oriented like those lights at that exact moment.  Just a single satellite.  I'm not claiming to know what they were, but I know I have never seen something in the sky do that before lol!

20191212_151749.jpg

2 hours ago, Buckethead said:

There were three more in a perfect line before that pic was taken.  It wasn't until they disappeared that I thought to get a pic.   And they reappeared after 20-30 minutes.  Stellarium doesnt show much of anything in that area oriented like those lights at that exact moment.  Just a single satellite.  I'm not claiming to know what they were, but I know I have never seen something in the sky do that before lol!

20191212_151749.jpg

Brown mountain lights???

• Like 1