• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Maybe a few flakes in the air Wed morning. Then it gets chilly for a couple of days.

From GSP........

Temp profiles continue to support a wintry mix over the higher
terrain Wed morning with rain transitioning to sleet then mostly
snow. Snow amounts still looking less than about 2 inches with
sleet and/or frz rain up to about 0.15 inches. These amounts,
of course, will be highly sensitive to QPF.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

Maybe a few flakes in the air Wed morning. Then it gets chilly for a couple of days.

From GSP........

Temp profiles continue to support a wintry mix over the higher
terrain Wed morning with rain transitioning to sleet then mostly
snow. Snow amounts still looking less than about 2 inches with
sleet and/or frz rain up to about 0.15 inches. These amounts,
of course, will be highly sensitive to QPF.

I'm ready for a big dog, but I'll gladly take a thin fresh coat in my yard.  The snow is almost gone from the last one. 

Boy, the 12km Nam sure does like the potential overnight Tuesday into Wednesday. 

• Like 2

The way the trough is elongated for the Tuesday night threat I think the threat of snow is diminishing or will be brief.

Yeah, main threat this week will be for a little frozen precip late Thursday into Friday. I still don’t think the LR pattern isn’t too bad, especially if we can get the southern stream going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Yeah, main threat this week will be for a little frozen precip late Thursday into Friday. I still don’t think the LR pattern isn’t too bad, especially if we can get the southern stream going.

I agree. Ill do average all month if I have too. We will have ups and downs and thats ok.

• Like 2

The way the trough is elongated for the Tuesday night threat I think the threat of snow is diminishing or will be brief.
Imma need just a hint of zr and a coating of snow on grandfather at least. I'm actually off on the day after a winter threat for once and I'd love to finally actually summit grandfather in the snow.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:
12 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Imma need just a hint of zr and a coating of snow on grandfather at least. I'm actually off on the day after a winter threat for once and I'd love to finally actually summit grandfather in the snow.

I think you will get your wish on Grandfather mountain. 

the two things i read pretty much every day are Ray's weather and this thread, since i have so many good memories of trips up the high country.  I think i might be overthinking it, but sometimes i get confused by the geographic markers in his forecasts, such as the 1) western ridge toward the TN state line, 2) the blue ridge, and then 3) the blue ridge escarpment.  My guess is if i'm trying to draw a map is that 1) is just what it says, like maybe for example soco gap up to beech mountain area, and 2) is right along the blue ridge parkway, and 3), is further south and east toward the SC line?

If someone has a map that shows all 3 of these regions or lines i would appreciate it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NGTim said:

the two things i read pretty much every day are Ray's weather and this thread, since i have so many good memories of trips up the high country.  I think i might be overthinking it, but sometimes i get confused by the geographic markers in his forecasts, such as the 1) western ridge toward the TN state line, 2) the blue ridge, and then 3) the blue ridge escarpment.  My guess is if i'm trying to draw a map is that 1) is just what it says, like maybe for example soco gap up to beech mountain area, and 2) is right along the blue ridge parkway, and 3), is further south and east toward the SC line?

If someone has a map that shows all 3 of these regions or lines i would appreciate it. 

1) Is exactly what it says, the TN border area. The TN/NC line is always a wintertime jackpot in the South.

2) Not sure the context here but it could mean the parkway or WNC as a whole.

3) The escarpment is anywhere the mountains meet the flat land but when it's mention in the context of NC, it's referring to the eastern slopes where CAD is prominent.

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing they issued this because of ice concerns and not snowfall. 

NCZ033-048>052-058-110400-
/O.NEW.KGSP.WW.Y.0013.191211T0000Z-191211T1200Z/
Avery-Madison-Yancey-Mitchell-Swain-Haywood-Graham-
Including the cities of Banner Elk, Newland, Luck,
and Waynesville
255 PM EST Tue Dec 10 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
7 AM EST WEDNESDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet
  accumulations of up to one inch, up to 2 inches possible in the
  highest elevations, and ice accumulations of a light glaze.

* WHERE...Higher elevations of the North Carolina mountains along
  the Tennessee border.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Wednesday.

• Like 1