• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Sure does look like it's over here.  Clouds are breaking and the wind died off.  After all of that snow blowing around who knows how much actually fell but I have at least 2" on the ground everywhere I've checked so that's what I'm going with for a measurement. 

Better than nothing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WarmNose said:

Just looking at slope cams, it looks like Beech and Sugar are running those snow guns full throttle. Should be a great head start on the ski season 

Sugar Mtn was looking kind of pathetic yesterday afternoon on the webcams and had one slope open.  Back open to the top now; I'll be hitting (hopefully not too literally) the slopes later this week for the second time this season.

• Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Sure does look like it's over here.  Clouds are breaking and the wind died off.  After all of that snow blowing around who knows how much actually fell but I have at least 2" on the ground everywhere I've checked so that's what I'm going with for a measurement. 

Better than nothing.

Same here. Two inches max. I wonder what happened with this system and why the forecasts busted so bad. It'll be interesting see the post event analysis from the experts on this one. But, for all I know it might pick back up this afternoon and we get plastered.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Same here. Two inches max. I wonder what happened with this system and why the forecasts busted so bad. It'll be interesting see the post event analysis from the experts on this one. But, for all I know it might pick back up this afternoon and we get plastered.

I saw someone on social media say they received 4" in Burnsville.  Unless they're in the area of the NW side of Mt. Mitchell I'm seriously doubting that.  

Back to flurries here.

• Haha 1

Just drove back to Deep Gap from work in Boone. There was more snow on the ground when I got to work this morning in Boone than there was when I left. Deep Gap barely has anything. My deck is white, and there are some patches of snow on the ground, but nothing like what I was expecting. It’s definitely cold enough for it to accumulate, and it did for a while, but it’s just not staying on the ground. 31° here in Deep Gap. We got a dusting at best, even in Boone. Better than nothing I guess.

7 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

Unless there is some 9th inning miracle I’m gonna have to chalk this one up as a major bust from the NW NC Mtns. It’s been a long while since we had a good NWFS that amounted to more than an inch or 2.

We had a lot fall up here near Meat Camp...maybe the ground was too warm and the fact that the wind kept blowing it around...most of the snow was flying horizontally during the day here, WCS 2-hour delay, everything is icing up here, so bet they cancel school for students tomorrow 

10 minutes ago, HKY18 said:

Southern stream is so active and appears that’s not gonna change anytime soon, just a matter of timing and we will get crushed this winter. GFS has another big system moving in around 18th/19th. Would be a nice 10 year anniversary lol 

411D1E05-6E58-4E25-B6D9-9D21BBB2432E.gif

Now you've got my hopes up for an 09-10 redux.

• Like 1

I am interested in the possibility for a wintry mix around WNC on Wednesday Night/Thursday morning.  It all depends on timing with the first wave that moves in from the southern stream.  6z GFS is much more progressive with the wave, allowing the moisture to move in quickly while a +1040mb high retreats to the NE.  Euro's temp profile is very similar to the GFS but it is much slower with the initial wave.  A weak low like the GFS shows would have a small warm nose and with it running into such a strong high, the CAD could be substantial.  The next two days of model runs it will be crucial to focus on timing.  The ridging in the Atlantic is something you really like to see though and all long range models are showing it.  Should be a fun month of tracking systems.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hvward said:

I am interested in the possibility for a wintry mix around WNC on Wednesday Night/Thursday morning.  It all depends on timing with the first wave that moves in from the southern stream.  6z GFS is much more progressive with the wave, allowing the moisture to move in quickly while a +1040mb high retreats to the NE.  Euro's temp profile is very similar to the GFS but it is much slower with the initial wave.  A weak low like the GFS shows would have a small warm nose and with it running into such a strong high, the CAD could be substantial.  The next two days of model runs it will be crucial to focus on timing.  The ridging in the Atlantic is something you really like to see though and all long range models are showing it.  Should be a fun month of tracking systems.

Originally the euro showed winter storm, the timing of the high pressure was better for weekend wave. Now we have to hope GFS has right idea of keying on the weak s/w before next weekends rainstorm. all a matter of timing precip with optimal CAD config.