• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

BAM Official 2019-2020 Winter Forecast

Jon Miller is joined by Michael Clark of BAMWx.com to discuss BAM's Official Winter of 2019-2020 Forecast.  Clark believes the United States could be in for a Top Eight to Top Twelve coldest winter.

The key a anomalous Pacific SST during a rate El Nino Modoki Pattern and the QBO

2014/2015  1977/1978

• Like 2

The Fall Foliage Guy suggests a peak around Grandfather Mountain between 10/15 and 10/20 or so. I plan on trying on Tue. 

Just came over grandfather on the way home from work to check it out. Color is coming along really nicely on the ridges between Beacon Heights and the Viaduct. Fairly vibrant at that. Rough Ridge as well. Otherwise very early stages at road level still. I'm hopefully heading up Cragway tomorrow since they've reopened it. Color looks great up there from what little you can see from the road. Here's a crappy phone pic from the Beacon Heights parking lot. Still lots of low clouds on that side. a7d3ea58a9673d042948d3e92d1baca0.jpg&key=a1c7a38768035b14ce8fd955bf1a489ad03e43d19c4a5654097939b8c55a5a36

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Color about 2-3 weeks behind on the upper reaches of Grandfather. Coming along nicely and actually looks pretty good so far. bf3910fc4a1026d7b594e865af5f16c5.jpg

I am hoping that progresses quickly before Tuesday when I plan a quick trip. I have seen foliage change rapidly in the northeast within a few days before. The weather has certainly been more favorable for that now. I plan on getting some aerials too (legal if you launch from a 221 pull off nearby).

Good to see things are coming along at home, in Colorado elk hunting (well I’m done now since I filled my tag opening evening on Saturday, just been packing neat out since).  Was a crisp -1 Friday morning at 10k feet!  Temps have slowly been warming to average, which is where it will stay the rest of our time out here.  Love the mountains, whether they are at home or here in the Western Rockies! 

• Like 5

I took a quick trip up very early this morning. Very frosty near Price Lake. Fall color was very patchy with moderate color just south of the Linn Cove Viaduct in a small area. I caught sunrise by that bridge and unfortunately two idiots were stopped on the road with their flashers on ruining the scene and also it was dangerous. I will make another attempt next week.

• Like 2

I will be posting ground and aerial shots of what I witnessed this morning. Coldest temp my car read was 33F by Price Lake. Anyway I think the foliage will do alright by Grandfather this year so long as there isn't too much blow down in the coming days. I don't think it will be a widespread blanket of peak color this year but there will be some photos to be had. I noticed a few areas in the distance with brownout ongoing, but still lots of green to change as well.

• Like 1