• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

I think the Piedmont is going to brown out this year. Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain were the saving grace last year for at least some decent color when the mountains busted, but this year you can see the stress in the trees already. I am hoping Lynn Cove will be a worthwhile trip at some point.

I was up on top of Pilot yesterday and across the VA line at my farm and both places have massive piles of brown leaves on the deck already.  Even my 40' tall tulip poplar here in the triad is 90% bare.  No color at all.  So I agree that anywhere outside the mountains is likely to miss out on the color, but not the crunch.  Wear those dustmasks sucking up those leaves!

48 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I was up on top of Pilot yesterday and across the VA line at my farm and both places have massive piles of brown leaves on the deck already.  Even my 40' tall tulip poplar here in the triad is 90% bare.  No color at all.  So I agree that anywhere outside the mountains is likely to miss out on the color, but not the crunch.  Wear those dustmasks sucking up those leaves!

It will make them easier to mulch. One pass and put away the mower for the year.

I think the Piedmont is going to brown out this year. Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain were the saving grace last year for at least some decent color when the mountains busted, but this year you can see the stress in the trees already. I am hoping Lynn Cove will be a worthwhile trip at some point.

Was up on the Parkway over grandfather today (shot sunset out at Flat Rock) and still plenty of green so that's a plus. The ridges are running about 2 weeks behind average best I can tell but some decent color showing in the Boone fork area. All limited to the normal early change areas above 5kft though. Very little down at road level just yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Was up on the Parkway over grandfather today (shot sunset out at Flat Rock) and still plenty of green so that's a plus. The ridges are running about 2 weeks behind average best I can tell but some decent color showing in the Boone fork area. All limited to the normal early change areas above 5kft though. Very little down at road level just yet.

Thank you and yeah that is what I am seeing in the reports as well.

After moving to Raleigh after going to school at App. Looking to move back to the mountains. I've been looking at areas that would be commutable to Asheville. Any recommendations for areas to look? Would like to live in a smaller town and of course the colder and snowier the better.

30 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

After moving to Raleigh after going to school at App. Looking to move back to the mountains. I've been looking at areas that would be commutable to Asheville. Any recommendations for areas to look? Would like to live in a smaller town and of course the colder and snowier the better.

Lots of good options. Old Fort, Marion, Black Mtn (highly recommend). Of course, in my opinion, I consider those foothill areas. So take that as you will. Although it'll certainly be snowier than Raleigh - you'll just miss out on NWFS events. Someone else might could advise better on Mars Hill, Weaverville, Marshall etc. Not sure what the elevation in those areas brings. 

As someone who now lives in the foothills again, I miss the NWFS events. But it still pays off to be in the foothills during the big events coming from the Gulf. 

8 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Lots of good options. Old Fort, Marion, Black Mtn (highly recommend). Of course, in my opinion, I consider those foothill areas. So take that as you will. Although it'll certainly be snowier than Raleigh - you'll just miss out on NWFS events. Someone else might could advise better on Mars Hill, Weaverville, Marshall etc. Not sure what the elevation in those areas brings. 

As someone who now lives in the foothills again, I miss the NWFS events. But it still pays off to be in the foothills during the big events coming from the Gulf. 

Burnsville is a quaint/ nice town!

We were looking at Weaverville, Marshall, Mars Hill and Burnsville before we ended up West of Waynesville in Balsam Gap.  Its 45 min to Asheville from our place, same as from Burnsville.  Weaverville puts you at 15 min, Marshall is around 30-45 which is the same as Mars Hill.  Have only spent the last couple months of winter (Feb through April this year) at the new place, but managed to get a dusting in really the last minor event of the season while town was just wet.  So that said, get above 3000' IMO to increase your snow chances; the higher the better of course.  We don't get as good of flow snow as they do over on Soco Gap or north of 40 in Haywood from what I've seen thus far but we do seem to sit at one of the precip max areas of the county it seems like.  As far as other areas when it comes to flow snow, the four I listed seem to all do good, especially Mars Hill and Burnsville.

1 hour ago, NC_WX10 said:

I live in Wolf Laurel, right along the state line at 4360'.  My wife works in downtown Asheville and it takes her 35-40 minutes to get there.  Were about 15 minutes from I-26. We get our fair share of snow (check my signature) and good nwfs.  Lots of homes for sale in my neighborhood...and we have a ski resort too...and the AT! You might want to check out Burnsville and Mars Hill as well.  Weaverville is nice but it's in Buncombe County and on the expensive side. 

Did anyone else notice this? I'll take our chances in the mountains for some of that cold in the NE to CAD it's way down the mountains and give us some overrunning events like we've had the last few winters.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathers-2019-2020-us-winter-forecast/592125

While the Northeast braces for snow and cold, the Southeast is more likely to experience a wet couple of months.

Water temperatures from the Gulf of Mexico to the Southeast and mid-Atlantic coasts are running higher than normal, Pastelok said.

As storms move into the east early on in the season, the warm water could generate a significant amount of rain.

However, it’s not out of the question that the region could experience a winter storm, similar to last season, which brings snow or ice to areas like Winston-Salem, Charlotte or Asheville. 

Around here I think we are in trouble. Lots of brown patches and some trees are just shedding before any color. Last year was pretty horrible compared to the norm. We'll wait and see but just don't believe they're going to be all that pretty this year. Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color. If anyone is planning a trip up should get the local scoop from where they'll be.

• Like 1

Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color.

So far I've seen some spotty areas that look really good from my photo friends on FB. I'm hoping to hike up the Boone fork bowl on Grandfather this Friday. That area has been good even when everything else sucks.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Around here I think we are in trouble. Lots of brown patches and some trees are just shedding before any color. Last year was pretty horrible compared to the norm. We'll wait and see but just don't believe they're going to be all that pretty this year. Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color. If anyone is planning a trip up should get the local scoop from where they'll be.

Down here in Brevard, everything is still green and it’s still raining. I see no way it just browns out now. I think it’ll just be a delayed peak and I’ve seen some good ones every now and then...

• Like 2