• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

Is it too early for this? Probably. But dang it's hot and I wanna talk about colder weather.

Seen a few runs of the GFS/GEFS advertising maybe a break from the heat heading towards the end of the month.

A LOT more leaf change already up here around the Boone/Banner Elk than I would expect given the recent heat. Hoping that's not setting us up for another less-than-stellar fall leaf season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

Is it too early for this? Probably. But dang it's hot and I wanna talk about colder weather.

Seen a few runs of the GFS/GEFS advertising maybe a break from the heat heading towards the end of the month.

A LOT more leaf change already up here around the Boone/Banner Elk than I would expect given the recent heat. Hoping that's not setting us up for another less-than-stellar fall leaf season.

It's never to early to talk COLD/SNOW! I'm so ready for it, but not liking the winter forecasts I've seen so far, But they are just a guess. But I like reading them and when it looks promising it gives you hope!  BTW Top out at 96.4 here in the N.Foothills today, Just simply ugly weather........................ 

On 9/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tyler Penland said:

I am concerned about another dud in terms of foliage season. It may be a done deal wit the late heat and extended dry spell.

81 down in town around noon and was 74 up here on the gap.  Clouds have rolled in now, actually looks like a good early Fall day looking out the living room with leaves starting to change and a nice cloud cover.  Hoping that chance of showers pans out, somehow managed to have some rain last week whereas other parts of the county and region weren't as lucky.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Any hints of the foliage starting up there yet?

It's still a little spotty up to 5500' here along the border but I'd say at least half of the trees are starting to show signs of changing now.  I'm hoping the warmth doesn't cause them to brown out. 

LRM_EXPORT_267406596029650_20190925_102402801.jpeg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

That looks like a brownout to me.  A quick yellowing, then death.  No way these trees stand a chance of much color this year.  My yard is already full of dead leaves here in the Triad.

I don't think so. Typically in a brownout up here you don't get that vibrant orange on the tree and contrary to everywhere else, the mountains haven't been as dry as most. Yes we've been dry but not as bad as I saw driving through the Piedmont last week. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

That looks like a brownout to me.  A quick yellowing, then death.  No way these trees stand a chance of much color this year.  My yard is already full of dead leaves here in the Triad.

We have had plenty of rain over the last 2 years. The vegetation is still very vibrant here.

• Like 1

I don't think so. Typically in a brownout up here you don't get that vibrant orange on the tree and contrary to everywhere else, the mountains haven't been as dry as most. Yes we've been dry but not as bad as I saw driving through the Piedmont last week. 

That photo is a little misleading imo. I'm in Boone and other than the occasional bright orange most of them are dull yellow.

3rd straight crappy foilage season coming I believe. A little rain could help salvage the rest but a lot of dead stuff already.

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

That photo is a little misleading imo. I'm in Boone and other than the occasional bright orange most of them are dull yellow.

3rd straight crappy foilage season coming I believe. A little rain could help salvage the rest but a lot of dead stuff already.

I don’t think so. Have a little faith!

https://wlos.com/news/local/photos-autumn-falls-into-color-at-grandfather-mountain

14 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

I'm not too concerned about a brownout.  Really starting to see some vivid colors up here in Wolf.  

20190927_103616.jpg

• Like 1