• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2019 Observations

Carvers Gap

The garden is doing well. You can compare to the first garden pic in the drought comparison.  Three weeks ago the raised beds were pretty much void.  Cool nights along with low humidity but warm days is like steroids right now for these crops.  Cabbage, baby kale, baby mustard greens, strawberries(not producing, but to be totally expected during fall) and cover crop surrounding the raised beds are seen.  Right behind the kale one can see the sprigs of some newly sprouted onions.  One negative side effect to this heat...dang flea beetles are still alive and strong and got into my Swiss chard.  All of that greenery is courtesy of the City of Kingsport water department.

IMG_3463.thumb.jpg.19cae230a8f170d7b451d30bcf406cb8.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John1122 said:

I believe the CCHS band may have been there, I believe one of them told me last week that they had a band competition in Sullivan County, if that's the one you were at.

Down to 36 degrees here and foggy. Think we can run at 32 or 33, the dewpoint has fallen to 33, down from 39 a few hours ago.

Very possible.  There were a lot of bands there...was a big BOA regional competition.  I didn't get to see many bands perform as I help with getting stuff on and off the field...and on and off the semi.  I usually only get to see another school's band right before our band goes on.  I was able to see the finals presentation as we stopped to take a peak.  

• Like 1

Can I just say how awesome it is not have temperatures in the mid90s everyday?  Feels like a million bucks out there.  I am jealous of the frosty mornings, John.  We might have a shot at scattered frost later this week here.  First freeze and first frost may show up at the same time if we miss Thursday!

• Like 1

For the eastern two grand divisions, looks like the lion's share of precip fell north of I-40.  NW TN, NE AR, SE MO, and the western half of KY did very well along with areas just north of Nashville.  Also appears that anywhere 0.80-1.00" of rain in the Kingsport area this morning.  For once, an over producer IMBY!!!  I thought RadarScope looked too low.  So, I scanned some wxunderground stations and many showed one inch totals near MBY which seemed too high.  AHPS seems to give some credence to those higher totals, though maybe not quite that high.  Still, a good rain event for some with a maybe some more still to fall.

2063740918_ScreenShot2019-10-16at9_53_09AM.png.7084c052769a31298785273653681f04.png

https://water.weather.gov/precip/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am with you Jed...when I looked out and saw it raining this morning, felt like I was watching it snow(it had become such a rarity).  Anyway, looks like wind chills this evening in southwest VA are ranging form the low to upper 30s.  Wind chills at TRI are in the low to mid 40s there.   Wind is really howling.  This is my kind of weather.  Friday morning has a mention of patchy frost by MRX for Kingsport as lows dip into the mid 30s.  Will be interesting if later this month TRI can approach a record low as many are in the mid 20s.  The GFS has been toying with this for several runs - but it has a notable cold bias so we will see.  Wouldn't be surprised to even set a record high early next week.  Looks like some wild temp swings coming up.  That is fall to me...some nice days and some gnarly weather days.  I had to stop jogging today and chill out under a bridge as sheets of light rain and drizzle came up the river on about 15 mph winds.  Looked like the kind of thing you would normally see at higher elevations.  Anyway, I didn't really chicken out by trying to stay drive.  I was done walking my route and was waiting for my ride.  Just surreal to be roasting a couple of weeks ago and then to be witnessing a scene like that.  Wild, but why I like the weather and find it interesting.  My neighbor saw me heading out in shorts and a T-shirt and noted that it was probably time to switch to warmer clothes...I was thinking he was likely right as I was standing under that bridge.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought it was windy today...when I opted to stay under the bridge, I might have understated the winds.  Winds were clocked in the 30mph range today in  areas of E TN.  If you have ever watched the weather roll in over the ridge lines at higher elevations...that is what it looked like.  Grabbed this graphic from MRX's FB page...

2015175138_ScreenShot2019-10-16at11_22_31PM.png.88a3db9b463c5e545236bc769b162bec.png

TRI's wx data for the past nineteen days of October.  Notably, on October 3rd TRI had a record high temp of 94.  Just two weeks later, the high was 60.  That impressive 34 degree change definitely challenged the wardrobe of many.  Shorts and t-shirsts to hoodies and rain jackets!  Five of the last six days have featured BN temps with plentiful rainfall and the first frost of the season on rooftops IMBY.  

300046206_ScreenShot2019-10-20at11_55_25AM.png.066e5dc8cd7eed16df40aff7d25aaaeb.png

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I've gotten around 2 inches in the past 24 hours! Both GFS and Euro think more is on the way too! 

It is amazing how hard it is for the eastern valley to receive that kind of rainfall these days. So far we’ve had .05in from this system. The first part of the band last night just got eaten up by downsloping and it also looked as though convection along the gulf robbed the moisture transport north. That band just melted away once it passed Knoxville to the east. One day it will rain again like that around here, hopefully. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1