Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter 2019-2020

Carvers Gap

On 11/13/2019 at 5:31 PM, Carvers Gap said:

John, I am always thankful for your records.  2014 missed my back yard.  I had to go check the obs thread.  LOL.  Fortunately I posted there.  Missed on Sandy as well.  Good find on the 93 obs.   That turned out to be a cold winter as you have noted.  That is the winter that I always forget was cold.  I have been asking folks in this area if they remember getting an inch or more is snow this early...it has been a long time - I think.  I was was living at Papermill in Knoxville in ‘93...so I have no idea if Kingsport cashed in.  Seems like lately we have been getting more than the airport...For many years, Kingsport was always much lower than the surrounding county, partly due to the river I am sure and partly due to industry.  These days we seem to be on par.  Now, SW VA where @1234snow lives and @Daniel Boone and @BlunderStorm...that is a money pot up there.  Carter’s Valley northward is just gold.  I spent the winter of 85 in Carter’s Valley.  Twenty something below zero and snow on the ground for months.  I can remember sitting in Saturday snowday make-up school watching it snow!!!

I also remember having to go to school during spring break to make up missed days that winter in Knox.  Good times growing up, and then it's all been down hill snowwise (for the most part) from there on, expectations too high too young after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilton01 said:

I also remember having to go to school during spring break to make up missed days that winter in Knox.  Good times growing up, and then it's all been down hill snowwise (for the most part) from there on, expectations too high too young after that.

That was the worst...Saturday school and losing Spring Break.  Fortunately kids now go an extra 30 mins per day now in most systems and bank 14-15 days...maybe 3-4 of those get used for professional development.  But I seriously hated going to school on Saturday.  Teachers back then would schedule tests on those days to make sure everyone would come to school.  So, on top of having to go to school on Saturday, I am having to study for a test on Friday night.  In 85, we had some Saturdays even get snowed out I think.  I remember sitting there taking a test on one Saturday and just watching it snow outside - like 2-3" on the ground.  In '85, my dad had a business trip to St. Louis.  He raced one of those storms home.  There was snow on snow on snow from mid January through almost the end of February.  We had drifts of 2-3'.   Seemed like every storm over performed with tons of NW flow types events even in the valley.  

Since I'm a Met I can't really throw rocks at the CDC folks, lol!

On 11/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, Carvers Gap said:

A childhood friend of mine sequences the DNA at the CDC for the flu vaccine.  Crazy, huh?  Some years they miss pretty badly.  Some years are really good.  

As for basketball, going to take some lumps with the new team in Knoxville this year.  With the #4 recruiting class in the country, help is on the way next year though.  Hopefully, we can still grab an NCAA tourney spot this year.  

UT would have beat FSU except those turnovers. I wouldn't worry too much this early in the season.

Jax congratulations on the Iron Bowl! That is always fun esp when it's at Auburn.

Kansas wins the Maui Jim Invitational. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Finally, jumped on some Cyber Monday ski lift tickets (Snowshoe and WinterPlace WV). Sorry if I cause a permanent SER now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Since I'm a Met I can't really throw rocks at the CDC folks, lol!

UT would have beat FSU except those turnovers. I wouldn't worry too much this early in the season.

Jax congratulations on the Iron Bowl! That is always fun esp when it's at Auburn.

Kansas wins the Maui Jim Invitational. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Finally, jumped on some Cyber Monday ski lift tickets (Snowshoe and WinterPlace WV). Sorry if I cause a permanent SER now.

Well, you might as well just go buy a new snow shovel while you are at it!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

That was the worst...Saturday school and losing Spring Break.  Fortunately kids now go an extra 30 mins per day now in most systems and bank 14-15 days...maybe 3-4 of those get used for professional development.  But I seriously hated going to school on Saturday.  Teachers back then would schedule tests on those days to make sure everyone would come to school.  So, on top of having to go to school on Saturday, I am having to study for a test on Friday night.  In 85, we had some Saturdays even get snowed out I think.  I remember sitting there taking a test on one Saturday and just watching it snow outside - like 2-3" on the ground.  In '85, my dad had a business trip to St. Louis.  He raced one of those storms home.  There was snow on snow on snow from mid January through almost the end of February.  We had drifts of 2-3'.   Seemed like every storm over performed with tons of NW flow types events even in the valley.  

I remember it all very well, at times during that stretch there were ice-sickles close to 2 feet long hanging from house roofs. 

• Like 1

Todays magical fantasy storms for East TN brought to you by EPS members 17 and 28:

giphy.gif

Always remember EPS members 17 and 28 for all your fantasy snow needs!!

When EPs members 16 and 30 just won't cut it, call on 17 and 28, we'll do the job right the first time, as long as it is at least 8 days in the future. 

• Haha 2

2, 11, 18, 27 and 40 were also pretty healthy for parts of the forum area. 11 dropped 10-13 inches in Memphis/East Arkansas. 28, I admit, would make me pretty happy since it gave me about 2 feet. Fairly encouraging that there are very few blanks in the 50 members. Quite a few show at least an inch for a large amount of the forum area, a good number in the 1-3 inch range as well.

• Like 2

I try to say if I see something for even Arkansas, and I think John was at least trying to show how everyone in near I 40 could get a bit of snow. I try to be specific about the eastern vs the greater TN valley, but apologize if I've done anything to annoy anyone in the middle and western forum areas. 

I know I'm annoyed that we can't get a forum wide slider type storm or even a west to east clipper that gives the whole state 2 - 4. 

At this point we are relegated to chasing 0.5 - 2 inch post frontal waves....... can't even rely on upslope occassionally after a frontal passage .......sad. 

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

5 years ago if models were showing what they are now under 100 hours out, I'd be 90 percent sold that we were going to get accumulating snow.  These past two years have made me believe its 90/10 in the no snow direction regardless of what models spit out within even 72 hours of an event. 

Yeah,the Euro use to be gold around 5 days out,its still the best but it still seems the last few years could bust badly even in this time frame

• Like 1

Just now, Wurbus said:

This is a full weenie post, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a member show such high snow totals for east TN as member 41 on the Euro last night. I just wanted to post it as it is likely we won't see another weenie run like this for a long time.

image.thumb.png.a713894d73f39de8c13940720c7f0945.png

Wow lol. That is the highest I have ever seen myself. And I have seen some crazy dgex model runs from the past and thumbed through ensembles before as well. Nice find lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

This is a full weenie post, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a member show such high snow totals for east TN as member 41 on the Euro last night. I just wanted to post it as it is likely we won't see another weenie run like this for a long time.

meh, less than 2 feet in my back yard.  I will pass.............  lol

• Haha 1