• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter Banter 2019-2020

Carvers Gap

So.....haven't seen rain for months.  The band is heading into Western NC over the weekend.  A low comes out of the GOM along the SE coast throwing copious amounts of precip back int W NC.  I think we get the event in, but gonna be a tight fit.  Hoping that system doesn't get there until late Saturday night - Euro needs to be right!   

I saw one of these stations last spring and again over the summer during trips out there.  Pretty cool article on cloud seeding in the Salt River Range with the intent to produce more snow that will in turn produce better water years for energy and agricultural purposes.  BTW, this guy runs a great blog.  I think he used to work in Oklahoma at the storm center.

http://blog.starvalleyweather.com/2019/10/14/cloud-seeding-in-star-valley-and-western-wyoming-an-update-2019/

Was a Saturday of close calls.  Kansas nearly edged out Texas.  The Vols were a botched fourth down play from taking the Tide down to the wire.  Hey, having the number one team in the country in a one score game late was a true feat for a team that lost to Georgia State, a game which I will never fully understand.

• Like 2

Full disclosure: don't consider myself a Vols fan, though I do watch with interest. Certainly not an apologist.

SEC Network's Jordan Rodgers posted on Twitter a great breakdown that more or less proves JG called his own shot on the botched QB sneak. Likely would have been a TD had the play been run as called. He also missed a wide open Jauan Jennings earlier in the game for a sure TD. Had Maurer not been injured, I think the game plays out differently. Bama could say the same about Tua, however. Zebras also got in the way. Absolutely atrocious officiating all night. I think Pruitt/Chaney will do well if given a bit more time. To hear him talk, Pruitt sounds like a dolt, but playcalling and effort have improved greatly throughout the season.

Sit Maurer for the rest of the season. Fire JG into the sun. Start Shrout and throw in the wildcat with Jennings or Jordan. The season is already lost, but I see good things coming. If Maurer looks good, QB debate gets interesting next season between him and the Maryland transfer Kasim Hill.

• Like 4

Weather this AM is gnarly.  The weather in this trailer is gnarly as well.  The Star Wars theme/score in the middle of this trailer is just sick.  I saw the first one in the theaters in 1977.  I was super disappointed in the last Star Wars movie.  This trailer gives me hope that they will get this one right. The was the last Star Wars full trailer of my time.  But wow, what a trailer it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LOL.  Pisgah ninja'd me!!!  To tag onto his post... Cool little piece of information that JB mentioned this AM.  The Peter Sinks in Utah may(still be verified) have hit -46F.  That would break the all-time record low for the lower 48 for October I think.  Anyway, I did some research.  It is a bowl at high elevation(thinking above 9K').  You can literally walk into the inversion and the temp drops 30-40 degrees when the inversion occurs.  I had heard of these types of phenomena in Antartica.   Basically an indentation in the geography of a very cold area can be significantly colder than its surroundings.  I think in Antartica there are little cave like features that have crazy cold temps as the cold just drains into them.  I wonder if Heber is near this area?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/30/arctic-cold-blast-breaks-temperatures-october-utah-wyoming-colorado/4098089002/

edit:  Here is the article about the phenomena in Antartica.  I had no idea (but it makes sense) that it happened at the latitude of Utah.  Makes me think of places like Camp Creek which get such strong winds...real life outliers that just have perfect conditions for extremes.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5888749/The-coldest-place-Earth-chillier-scientists-thought.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Snow in October. That's bearish winter right? LOL

Weeklies both agree warm back half of November. Cancel winter. 

Just kidding! It's banter. 

Nothing to the snow in October,  winter over thing. Several October's featured snow here and the Winter was cold/snowy. Of course, most of us know this. However, there are those that really believe that "rule". Lol.

• Haha 1