Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 11-13 Severe Weather

MNstorms

26 minutes ago, Minnesota_storms said:

Can you explain? Is it the the red bars on the left? There's soundings within a few miles without them but everything else about the same. Some things on soundings I'm still learning about.

Yeah, the bars represent omega.  Pretty strong/deep lift at that location at that time.  You can get enhanced soundings (wind profiles) that may not be representative of conditions across the area.  

Can you post one without so much omega?  Would be curious to see how those wind profiles look.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, the bars represent omega.  Pretty strong/deep lift at that location at that time.  You can get enhanced soundings (wind profiles) that may not be representative of conditions across the area.  

Can you post one without so much omega?  Would be curious to see how those wind profiles look.

I switched out the sounding in the opening post for you to look at.

13 hours ago, Indystorm said:

Tor warning now for Lake County Illinois and confirmed tornado in Michigan.

It looks like no tornado was confirmed after all. This is why I'm not a fan of "radar confirmed" language in warnings like the one last night. 

Also not a fan of "law enforcement confirmed," as we learned during the most recent tor warning in Van Wert, OH. Turned out no one saw it, they just THOUGHT they saw it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WxMatt21 said:

It looks like no tornado was confirmed after all. This is why I'm not a fan of "radar confirmed" language in warnings like the one last night. 

Also not a fan of "law enforcement confirmed," as we learned during the most recent tor warning in Van Wert, OH. Turned out no one saw it, they just THOUGHT they saw it.

In the Emergency Management world, we call them Sheriffnadoes.  Law enforcement would make great eyes in the sky to supplement our spotters/chasers since they are already mobile, but they won't come to any trainings to know what to look for. They seem to have the mindset of "I don't need training, I already know everything I need to know about weather." This happens waaaayy too often. It causes the public to have lower confidence in our legitimate reports.

• Like 3

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville
333 PM CDT Thu Sep 12 2019

The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Central De Kalb County in north central Illinois...
  Southwestern Kane County in northeastern Illinois...

* Until 415 PM CDT.

* At 332 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located near Waterman, or near Shabbona, moving east at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
  Hinckley around 400 PM CDT.
  Sugar Grove, Elburn and Maple Park around 415 PM CDT.

Including the following interstate...
 I-88 between mile markers 88 and 108.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 4178 8887 4189 8888 4200 8846 4174 8848
TIME...MOT...LOC 2032Z 263DEG 15KT 4182 8880

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...1.00IN

$$

Carlaw

6 hours ago, WxMatt21 said:

I've had a met tell me that "radar confirmed" meant that a tornado was actually there whereas "radar indicated" meant only rotation was observed.  It does get confusing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 4:28 PM, kevlon62 said:

ChiStorm on this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Delayed response, but I did end up chasing the tor warned storm on the 12th.

I ended up intercepting the storm near Ashton, a bit after it had gone tor warned. Upon arriving, the storm was interacting with the warm front, and made a serious attempt at wrapping up and producing. Unfortunately, due to the warm front being in a NW/SE orientation, there was a small window of opportunity to produce..in which it did not succeed. I followed along east with the storm for a bit longer just in case it tried to do something interesting, before dropping off of it and ending the short chase. On the way home, another storm developed and went severe/tor warned south of the original storm. It was well north of the warm front, even so tried its best to do something...but ultimately failed as well.

If the warm front would have been oriented more W-E instead of NW/SE, along with not retreating SW, activity likely would have been able to latch on to the boundary, and would have had a better chance at producing and would have had longevity. 

storm3_5_orig.jpg

• Like 1