• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2019

WxUSAF

Did my first sweep of the fallen leaves up at camp in the mountains (south/central pa just out of Mount Holly Springs). Amount of leaves were about what I would have expected at this time of year. One thing that is noticable is the lack of color. Maybe it will pick up in the next week or two but so far it is nowhere what I would expect to see. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I noticed driving home from work today that the colors are improving quickly. A lot of reds and oranges starting to pop.

That frost sat. morning + the recent heavy rains made the colors much more vibrant in a short time.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yup meant to say this too. Probably ~10 days to peak.

Twenty or so years ago I used to keep track of when peak was in this area to the day. Mind you, my method wasn’t very scientific.

“Today looks better than yesterday, so not yet.” 

“Today looks worse than yesterday, so it was yesterday.”

But it was always from October 25 to November 1, so things haven’t changed much in that regard. Also, I think you’re fortunate because some of the older neighborhoods in Columbia have what I think is some of the best color in the area. I used to work in the Oakland Mills area and I’m still down that way often,  and it can be pretty vibrant

My tulip magnolia went from green to 75% bare in under 10 days. Probably totally bare by tomorrow.

We have a tulip magnolia as well. 50/50 green and yellow right now. No doubt though,that tree goes quick. Love the tree but hate the fallen leaves. A pain to blow...especially if damp.

A side note...I pruned the heck out of that tree in early March this year and have never seen so many blooms than this spring.

• 2 weeks later...