• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2019

WxUSAF

Leaves started dropping from trees surrounding my house about 3-4 weeks ago and the rate steadily increases. I initially thought it was due to the July heatwave and stress introduced by drier weather, but have noticed a bit more color in the leaves within the last week, both those still on trees and which continue to fall. Don't remember any color starting quite this early in recent years. Early start on autumn?

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Definitely seeing some color on certain trees and vines. Poison ivy showing some red and some maples have color. Maybe stress induced from the dry weather?

So now we have the polar opposite conditions from this time last year...lol So would we see earlier foliage as opposed to later?

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Last year was super late with how warm and wet it was. Definitely well ahead of that pace. 

I don't recall it being warm at the end of last Summer. I just remember it being dark, damp, and cool seemingly everyday in August and September. My memory has failed me before though. 

33 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I don't recall it being warm at the end of last Summer. I just remember it being dark, damp, and cool seemingly everyday in August and September. My memory has failed me before though. 

Last September was 5.2F above normal at BWI and the first 11 days of October were an absolute torch. 

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It was a ****ing disaster.

So far, this year looking no better.

There is some early color around.   In this un-ending warmth,  I'm not sure why.

By color, you mean doodoo brown. Upon closer inspection, it just seems to be because, as already mentioned, dryness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Is this your equivalent of training camp/preseason games in getting ready for this coming winter? :)

I'm giving it until Dec 31.  If we don't have at least 1 warning event or one on the horizon then I'm out.  

It would be nice to get a soaking 1" - 3" of rain regionwide in the next week to 10 days.  We can still recover the foliage season or at least part of it if we can tilt back to a wetter regime.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a lot more reds yesterday and today around here to go with the yellowish tinged brown from the trees stressed to the max from the dryness. Not sure how they managed to make color but I'll take it! Least in my yard, I'd estimate 40-50% of leaves are off the trees already from falling early/heat/dryness/stress. I've been on leaf detail since Labor Day! On the plus side (for the animals) it is a BANNER year for acorns and other tree nuts, I got up a couple trillion when I cleaned the yard Tuesday.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm giving it until Dec 31.  If we don't have at least 1 warning event or one on the horizon then I'm out.  

Not the most logical approach...man, have you studied our history? Like going all the way back? Mid-Jan thru late Feb are the time the winter is more likely judged (and btw...if you insist on setting a "deadline" for having an event on the horizon...ya may want to extend that to at least January 15th. Remember that we don't usually get warning level events between Christmas and the second week of January, lol)

On 9/27/2019 at 11:38 AM, North Balti Zen said:

Had to drive to Pittsburgh and back Monday and Tuesday this week. Very very little color evident - even at the higher elevations on the PA turnpike between Breezewood and Pittsburgh.

Try US 219 from Somerset to Grantsville.  Always a nice ride with decent color.