Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Sept 2019 Observations

yotaman

6 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

The lightning show around Winston and GSO last night was truly impressive.  My room looked like there was a strobe light in it.  Just missed on the bigger rain to the south.  But at least it was wet this morning.

Yes, it was constant there for a while.  Like you, the better rain was to my south, but at least we received about half an hour of a sustained borderline downpour.

13 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

Yes, it was constant there for a while.  Like you, the better rain was to my south, but at least we received about half an hour of a sustained borderline downpour.

I'm a bit south of you right on the Guil/Rand county line.  Rained all around me and had a brilliant lightning show but I only got 0.13"  That brings my Sept total rainfall to a whopping 0.18".

Well, managed to make it through September with a grand total of 2 days with measurable rainfall. Both of them same event (hurricane Dorian). Only got a T of rain from the storms Friday night as they moved just east of my location, though some areas did OK with that. Still, this is the driest month in quite some time with 1.24" total and being that came from one event and had extremely dry antecedent conditions beforehand, I can say we are in full blown drought. An interesting observation, I took my grandfather to the farm yesterday (They actually only received round 1/2" total this month) and while driving in the dirt road, noticed all the leaves are grey. It was an eerie image coming in with the off-color leaves. Took me a minute to realize that the coloring was from the huge amounts of dust being kicked up by passing vehicles and landing and accumulating on the roadside leaves. Haven't seen that out there. Might need to take a picture next time, it is wild how much dust and how high up it is making it on the roadside foliage!

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Heat overperforming again in many areas. Already 87 in AVL (forecast 84) , 92 ATL, 90 GSP (forecast 89), 95 CAE. 

CLT 83 with some clouds.

Continuing to bust badly. AVL now 89, 5 degrees above it's forecast. CAE all the way up to 98, also 5 above it's forecast. This is only as of 2pm. 

Edit:

AVL now showing 90. This is the hottest reporting station in NC right now - never heard of AVL being the hottest in the state, you can really see the effect of where the high pressure is located! 

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/north-carolina/temperature/

For the last 8 days of Sept GSP recorded highs of 90 or higher. The last 4 days it dipped below 70 only one time for a  crisp 69. 23 days reached 90 or higher, with 7 reaching 95 or 96. The month ended 7.4 degrees above average making it the second hottest ever behind 1925. The low did not dip below 65 until the 19th, and only did so 6 times the whole month. Let all that sink in a moment!