• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
should government agencies bill chasers for their own rescue?

the ghost of leroy

should chasers have to pay out of pocket?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. ??

• yes
    • no

51 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

That’s a political right where people assemble to defend a belief or value. You’re just a lonely weirdo going to the beach. That’s materially different. 

On public property. Peaceful. Not harming anyone.

There are no broken laws there. The govt can't close public property and charge you with a crime. Its different if my presence could harm someone else (such as standing in the middle of an interstate).

What they do is unconstitutional. I have argued with people who've told me to leave beaches. They always tell me the cops will come and "take me away". Its all hot air. No cops ever show and if they did, they cant do anything. I've broken no laws.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RevWarReenactor said:

There are no broken laws there. The govt can't close public property and charge you with a crime. Its different if my presence could harm someone else (such as standing in the middle of an interstate).

What they do is unconstitutional. I have argued with people who've told me to leave beaches. They always tell me the cops will come and "take me away". Its all hot air. No cops ever show and if they did, they cant do anything. I've broken no laws.

they will forcefully...ticket you

2 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I have argued with people who've told me to leave beaches. They always tell me the cops will come and "take me away". Its all hot air. No cops ever show and if they did, they cant do anything. I've broken no laws.

so you are mad about an imaginary scenario that has never happened to you? lol

Part of an elected officials job is to ensure public safety.  When a public area is under an evacuation order (which is temporary) they can cite you.  How you conjure that into a violation of right to public assembly is well...……………...dumb.    It's a weak argument.  But I get it, let us know how you make out with that next time.

Also re: the practicalities and or ethics and or legality of SAR cost recovery as random example I would wager that “professional international extreme weather videographers” who have “extensive support and advisory teams” and “relationships with major media outlets” whose jobs take them primarily to places likely to become “rubble-strewn flooded disaster areas awash as much with human misery as the wrack of the cruel unforgiving sea” probably have platinum-plated extrication & medical evacuation policies from Global Rescue that make the coverage held by heliski outfits look like an expired HikeSafe card clutched in the clammy, sweaty palms of an overweight hiker experiencing chest pains.

3 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

The government does all sorts of things to public property. Here in NJ, with the exception of a few beaches, they charge you to get on certain times of the year and patrol them at night to keep people off them. I disagree with both but there isn't much you can do. 

3 hours ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I just checked the bill of rights and didn't see the clause about "Can assemble on public property unless it's a national security or traffic issue"

2 hours ago, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

I would also add that beaches aren't considered federal land which is typically owned by the public. They fall under state and local land which is why they can get away with it. 

It would seem the publi beach access and up to the wet area of the beach is public property. Obviously I can't walk onto someone's property to access that beach, but I certainly can access the beach in front of their house via another means, setup a chair, and they can't do a darn thing about it.

Me and my friends use to go to Deal Beach and access from a public beach, and the Rich jerk who's house was there would always call the cops, cops would show up to tell the rich dude he was wrong. Good times.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My personal opinion is we (any and all of us chasers) should absolutely be billed for any services required for our rescue if such a need were to arise.  While residents are being ordered to evacuate these areas, we are intentionally doing the opposite.    

Simply put, we are each choosing willingly to put ourselves in harms way and are 100% responsible for our own actions.  How anyone could rationalize we deserve any such preferential treatment is beyond me.

• Like 3