Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2019

George BM

31 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro backed off on highs Wed and Thurs.  ( Surprise)  Looks like low 90s for the metros vs mid 90s Wed and frontal timing Thurs helps keep temps in the 80s before falling . Then fall is here baby . Euro has been showing a bowling ball of energy diving into the conus pretty far south around day 8 . Should get us some rain hopefully . If it tracks under us that be bonus. 

Euro has a widespread 0.75” plus next week. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Euro backed off on highs Wed and Thurs.  ( Surprise)  Looks like low 90s for the metros vs mid 90s Wed and frontal timing Thurs helps keep temps in the 80s before falling . Then fall is here baby . Euro has been showing a bowling ball of energy diving into the conus pretty far south around day 8 . Should get us some rain hopefully . If it tracks under us that be bonus. 

I have 1 (ONE) 90 degree day in the month of October since I've kept records in 1980, a 90.1 on 10/9/2007.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

So, let's see if I can get this to squeeze into here. I only had 0.27 for the recording month of Sept, 2nd driest behind 1985's 0.05, due to my recording and reporting like a CO-op (CoCoRaHS). I had over 4 times that amount fall yesterday......(1.16), in less than an hour, but, that is an October number now. Here are more record's from NWS Blacksburg. Mine (Alleghany) and the county just west (Greenbrier WV) seem to be leading the pack in the dryness......

image.thumb.png.688a749b8b9a2fd33a091c469060d6f5.png

57 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

So, let's see if I can get this to squeeze into here. I only had 0.27 for the recording month of Sept, 2nd driest behind 1985's 0.05, due to my recording and reporting like a CO-op (CoCoRaHS). I had over 4 times that amount fall yesterday......(1.16), in less than an hour, but, that is an October number now. Here are more record's from NWS Blacksburg. Mine (Alleghany) and the county just west (Greenbrier WV) seem to be leading the pack in the dryness......

Curious as to why yesterdays rain gets thrown into October. Didn't come after mid-night did it?

28 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Curious as to why yesterdays rain gets thrown into October. Didn't come after mid-night did it?

CoCoRaHS reports are usually recorded at 7AM so any precipitation that fell after 7AM yesterday gets recorded today.  I know that the .01” that I got yesterday fell before midnight so I posted above the .14”, but my September CoCoRaHS total is .13”

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, frd said:

From bluewave over at the NYC thread ...... simply remarkable,  the ever increasing temps for Sept.

Even though this represents his area I am sure it holds for ours as well.

806418DC-DE14-491D-93FF-70543460E497.thumb.jpeg.40f5fdb3dff6c4ac8fa01edb91025f43.jpeg

I’m curious to see how the temps of more rural areas are reflected. I’m sure they’d also show an increase, but I wonder how much of an increase that would be.

Also curious if temps on places like Denver show the same progression.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I’m curious to see how the temps of more rural areas are reflected. I’m sure they’d also show an increase, but I wonder how much of an increase that would be.

Also curious if temps on places like Denver show the same progression.

Great question. 

I know a while back there was a post about the Fall temps in the East, and the above normal and record temps were almost in a perfect orientation  along the Western periphery of the WAR.  This makes a lot of sense because this decade the Fall WAR has been robust and the SST much above normal. 

Also,  taken into account the higher dew points keeping overnight lows higher. Seems that the new normal is the less hot, versus below climo.

The case can be made that September is now the 4th full fledged month of real summer.       

The theory I heard was low sea ice causes a delay in cooling off things to the North of us and hence the summer season is extended but then that delayed reaction combined with the tendency of blocking to develop later in the winter has caused the month of March to be more wintry than December.  And hence sometimes April being very cold.  

On a side note, a case can be made this year that the hybrid lag of the Nino and the atmospheric Nina might lead to a an early start to winter. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Winter has shifted. December is boiling and March is cold and snowy. I will not say it is human-caused, but something has happened. Also, this repeating pattern of 2 months of tropical rainforest followed by 2 months of desert is noticeable.

I don't think it is just winter. Seems everything has pushed about 30-45 days forward. Sept is hot like August, winter doesn't want to start until after Christmas, May wants to be  April.....

My September 2019 numbers, records date back to 1980

Rainfall for the month was 0.27 inches vs a normal of 3.40 inches, a -3.13 below normal and the 2nd driest Sept on record, with only 1985's 0.06 beating it. There were 3 days with measurable, 6 days with a 'T' and 21 dry days. Complete opposite of last Sept when I was pushing 10 inches of rainfall.

Averaged high temp for the month was 86.7 degrees vs a normal of 77.3 degrees, a +9.4 degrees above and the 2nd warmest on record, with only 1998's 87.2 degrees beating it. The warmest day was on the 12th with a 92.2 degree reading.  The averaged low temp was 57.4 degrees vs a normal of 52.7 degrees, a +4.7 degrees above. The coolest day was on the 20th with a 44.6 degree reading. Overall averaged temp was 72.0 degrees vs a normal of 65.0 degrees, a +7.0 degrees above and a new record for the month of Sept, beating 2018's and 2016's 71.0 degree reading by a whole degree!! Highest wind recorded during the month was 27 mph on the 27th. One other new record for the month, a new daily high set on 30th with 89.4 degree reading. Overall a VERY hot and dry month!

• Like 1