Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter 2019

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

I know this is IMBY but I need some advice.  I'm in OC right now with the family thru Sunday.  We're at 33rd St oceanfront in an oceanfront room.  I've personally never experienced tropical storm conditions and while the weather nerd in me is very intrigued, the wife is concerned now that they've upgraded us to TS warning.  We're in a big sturdy hotel with an indoor pool and my thought was we'll just be enjoying a rainy windy day inside at the pool.  Am I taking it too lightly or is my wife taking it too seriously?  30-40 sustained with gusts in the 50s sounds like no worse than a blizzard or a severe thunderstorm and I would assume the big hotels have generators even if power were to get knocked out for a bit.  They are calling for little to no surge and really not even that much rain.  Thoughts?

30 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

I know this is IMBY but I need some advice.  I'm in OC right now with the family thru Sunday.  We're at 33rd St oceanfront in an oceanfront room.  I've personally never experienced tropical storm conditions and while the weather nerd in me is very intrigued, the wife is concerned now that they've upgraded us to TS warning.  We're in a big sturdy hotel with an indoor pool and my thought was we'll just be enjoying a rainy windy day inside at the pool.  Am I taking it too lightly or is my wife taking it too seriously?  30-40 sustained with gusts in the 50s sounds like no worse than a blizzard or a severe thunderstorm and I would assume the big hotels have generators even if power were to get knocked out for a bit.  They are calling for little to no surge and really not even that much rain.  Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry at all. Ofc you have to convince her of that, lol.

Put up with some rain and wind on Friday. Sat and Sun should be gorgeous there.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

I totally agree with CAPE.  A good indicator to me that things are "safe," is that the beach in Assateague is open in MD all the way to the VA state line for 4WD vehicles.  They wouldn't allow that if they thought the surf would overtake the beach. 

https://osvcount.com/

Also, I wouldn't spend the day inside at the pool.  Get out on the boardwalk and enjoy this sucker!  Viewing the inlet should be pretty exciting tomorrow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I totally agree with CAPE.  A good indicator to me that things are "safe," is that the beach in Assateague is open in MD all the way to the VA state line for 4WD vehicles.  They wouldn't allow that if they thought the surf would overtake the beach. 

Also, I wouldn't spend the day inside at the pool.  Get out on the boardwalk and enjoy this sucker!  Viewing the inlet should be pretty exciting tomorrow. 

This.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

They let people drive the 4WDs on the beach in Galveston during the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.

Just sayin’...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Not sure if you can still get to the rocks on the jetty but if you can, stay off the rocks even if it looks as if it might be safe. Never know when a rogue wave will come in spawned from the Hurricane.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Not sure if you can still get to the rocks on the jetty but if you can, stay off the rocks even if it looks as if it might be safe. Never know when a rogue wave will come in spawned from the Hurricane.

Yes, you don't want to do that.  I was thinking he could view if from the boardwalk, or even better, from the bar at Harrison's Harbor Watch. :drunk:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caviman2201 said:

I think you will be fine given how far off the coast the actual eye will be.   I was in an ocean front hotel on the top floor as Hurricane Bob came by OC, just about 90 miles off the coast and a very strong hurricane as it passed by (Cat 2 or low end 3).  Me and the family were a bit squeemish about staying but since the projected path kept it off the coast we decided to stay.   A bit of a nail biter as it progressed by but overall no real problems other than a dripping ceiling in several spots.  As the eye passed by the strongest winds were blowing offshore which kept the waves/surge under control too.  Overall a memorable fun weather event for this weenie.  Here is a recap of that 1991 hurricane that I posted in our hurricane thread a couple of weeks ago:

"I was in Ocean City for Hurricane Bob.  There were big Hurricane Warning signs erected on Rt. 50 heading into O.C. trying to persuade folks not to enter.  Evacuations weren't mandatory though.  It was a very strong storm for O.C. with a lot of wind driven rainfall.  Our top floor condo was dripping water in a few spots from the ceiling.   I think the winds were mostly offshore at the height of the storm which spared the city from major wave damage.  Winds were strong and gusty.  The metal railing on our balcony was making wailing sounds during the worst of the winds.  Of course we had the Weather Channel on most of the time back when watching the WC was kind of cool.

Edit - I forgot to mention how cool it was watching the sky change as the storm was approaching from the south during the day.  The wind and rain was mostly a late night and early morning event."

Posters on average internet forum:

"People are evacuating the shore ahead of the hurricane."

"yeah, but there's some dudes from the AmWx Mid Atlantic group who are actually GOING to the shore FOR THE HURRICANE"

"Wackos. SMH"

Posters on AmWx :

"There's a dude who's already in OC ahead of the hurricane."

"Yeah, but he's thinking of actually LEAVING early FOR THE HURRICANE"

"Wacko. SMH"

Notice the difference?

(P.S. Caviman, if you bail out for this storm you will never live it down.)

• Haha 3

This is GeorgeBM reporting live from Herndon, VA.

The winds are starting to absolutely rip! I've experienced a few wind gusts all the way up into the 15-20mph range. If this keeps up a dead leaf or two may be ripped off of the trees around me and smash into the ground doing significant damage to the photosynthesis of the grass blades underneath! 

ETA: Looking outside there is already a dead leaf that I can see IMFY. Only 30% of the sky is clear with translucent sunshine shining through the high clouds right now. I hear that there may even be a brief sprinkle in a few spots?!

I'm in fear for my life.

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic