• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

Yesterday while I was stopped in construction I grabbed this lousy pic of one of the maples in our area that is showing some color on its tips.  There's others and considering the changes coming to the New England landscape over the next 8 weeks or so I thought I would start the thread for this years foliage season.

IMG_20190829_073026813.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kinda shocked at how much color there is in the foliage already. Took the ride home down 132 and there’s stretches with a lot of red, orange, and yellow. It’s not the meager weak tree stuff either.

It’s got that feeling where it might be a prolonged foliage season.... early stuff is going real early, but then there’s that stuff that no matter the weather needs to wait for the lower sun angle of October to turn. 

I see most of the early change in the lower elevations around here....it seems like the temp departures have been lower down under 1,500ft compared to higher elevations.  Low dews helping that.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Kinda shocked at how much color there is in the foliage already. Took the ride home down 132 and there’s stretches with a lot of red, orange, and yellow. It’s not the meager weak tree stuff either.

I was noticing that myself looking at some hillsides even in SNE.  You can spot a green hue difference between trees.  It was more noticeable above 1500' in the Berkshires on I-90 but definitely there.  Maybe we're in for a long foliage season...

After a dud last year in the NC mountains, they seem to think it will be a good one this year. Got to get that cliche Lynn Cove Viaduct shot on the Blue Ridge Parkway ;) . As for you up there, it looks like it is off to a good start. Even when it has struggled I always found good color in the ADK's outside of Lake Placid. Right now, nothing is suggesting any major late season heatwaves, so that is good. We shall see.

Every time I see these couple houses up on Spruce at 2,200ft, I think of @cpickett79

What a weenie spot to live...3,600ft hill behind you and an obscene amount of precipitation.  Likely one of the most prolific annual QPF spots in the state of Vermont sitting high in the Notch/Mansfield/Spruce area.  You never have to worry about it getting dry, as even a really dry pattern here is more water than most spots. 

If I win the lottery, I'm buying that place and putting an ASOS station up there to see just how low the visibilities are all winter.  Probably could put up a +SN ob 5-6 of 7 days a week during the winter.  Makes the parking lots at 1,500ft seem like the valley.

VUzO147.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Every time I see these couple houses up on Spruce at 2,200ft, I think of @cpickett79

What a weenie spot to live...3,600ft hill behind you and an obscene amount of precipitation.  Likely one of the most prolific annual QPF spots in the state of Vermont sitting high in the Notch/Mansfield/Spruce area.  You never have to worry about it getting dry, as even a really dry pattern here is more water than most spots. 

If I win the lottery, I'm buying that place and putting an ASOS station up there to see just how low the visibilities are all winter.  Probably could put up a +SN ob 5-6 of 7 days a week during the winter.  Makes the parking lots at 1,500ft seem like the valley.

VUzO147.jpg

Could be the snowiest home on the east coast. Summers have got to be incredible too with temps barely above 80 even during heat waves

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Could be the snowiest home on the east coast. Summers have got to be incredible too with temps barely above 80 even during heat waves

There are a few good ones 10 miles south around 22-2300’ at Bolton as well. 1/5’th the cost lol

regarding folliage light color past loon mountain above 1K on my drive yesterday 

27 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

There are a few good ones 10 miles south around 22-2300’ at Bolton as well. 1/5’th the cost lol

That’s a good point; that top house up there on Snow Drift Road appears to be just a touch over 2,300’, which is definitely high elevation for a house in this area.  It doesn’t have the open views of those houses at Stowe, but it is slopeside, and you literally walk off the edge of the yard and you’re at the Five Corners area of the Bolton Valley alpine trail network.  That’s actually quite a prime slopeside spot on the trail network because you can ski right down to the main base via Lower Villager, or the Timberline Base via Timberline Run.  It’s a five trail intersection, so you’ve got three additional trails (Timberline Lane, Five Corners, and Upper Villager) starting right there that you can skin up for runs as well.  It’s a pretty sweet spot for a skier, or just somebody who likes snow.  I’d guess the snowfall average there is pushing 250” a season?  With respect to the spine of the Northern Greens, it’s going to have western slopes snow climatology vs. probably a more eastern slopes snow climatology at the houses PF pointed out, but both can obviously be awesome depending on the season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alex said:

Progressing very nicely. Some of the little trees are really stunning. Is there a reason why saplings tend to be so colorful?

3D132114-3E16-448C-8AD4-EED70ED7D8E1.jpeg

Alex,  I really don't have a good idea but maybe a theory?   Near ground level, at night it is much colder than say 30 or 40 feet up a tree.  So maybe the average temperatures at sapling level help them "think" it's later in the season than further up the tree?  That is just a hunch??????

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

PF was that from today? Color moving along nicely. 

It's coming along and does vary from hillside to hillside.  It's still 50% or more green, IMO on the whole.  The green has changed to a lighter green and almost yellow-green through, with some red and orange patches starting to show.

Here's a view of the early color in the Notch.

fsKt4Xh.jpg