Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

44 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Thanks for the tip. In planning on driving up to Sugarloaf Mountain, perhaps a bit further. Hopefully it's not crazy crowded midweek.

It will be fine.  Get off I-91 down around Hatfield and take 5/10 from there.  More rewarding views imo.   After Sugarloaf it is only a short drive into Greenfield/Shelburne/Colrain. Here is one nice side trip:  After the rotary take Rt 2 W a few miles to Peckville Road, you will see the sign for APEX orchards, take that right and go up the hill 2 miles.  The view is kill up there and Apex has a little cider store and deck with long views East. Plus all the apples you can eat.  If hard cider is more your thing go visit W Co Cider in the barn across the street. You can pull right up to both places so non-difficult access.

29 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Awesome Fall foliage color along Route 2, best I've seen in Massachusetts in a long time. Pictures don't do it justice.

IMG_20191016_1276.jpg

IMG_20191016_52207.jpg

It is tough to capture it accurately without manual settings as cameras will tend to autocorrect the white balance to values that are too cold which dulls the leaf colors a lot. 

34 minutes ago, eyewall said:

It is tough to capture it accurately without manual settings as cameras will tend to autocorrect the white balance to values that are too cold which dulls the leaf colors a lot. 

Another factor conspiring against foliage photography is that most applications use small color spaces which leave out a lot of the dark oranges and reds. ProPhoto RGB is pretty good, but not many people are shooting RAW and then fiddling with color space during export, and even fewer people have devices that can display anywhere close to that range. Even in 2019 it's hard to beat a properly exposed print from color negative film for foliage scenes.

srgb-color-space-gamut@2x.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Yeah, that's why I invested in a DSLR to shoot raw images and for better video quality.  With raw you can correct the exposure as well as the color balance.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Another factor conspiring against foliage photography is that most applications use small color spaces which leave out a lot of the dark oranges and reds. ProPhoto RGB is pretty good, but not many people are shooting RAW and then fiddling with color space during export, and even fewer people have devices that can display anywhere close to that range. Even in 2019 it's hard to beat a properly exposed print from color negative film for foliage scenes.

I'm trying to improve my skills for nature channel on YouTube so I've gone back to SLR (OK - DSLR) photography and am learning the art of editing raw files.  It's not easy but I can tell the quality difference in still pictures and video.  You just have to have the right equipment (and eye!).

On 10/17/2019 at 5:13 PM, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Actually they are Sugar Maple's, my neighbors Silver Maple is just starting to turn gold. My neighborhood is late with Fall foliage.

Norwegian maple leafs have the same shape as sugar maple leafs.  Sugar maples typically turn before oaks (even in the valley) so it's surprising that they would be turning at the same time.  You probably have some of the latest foliage in New England.

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Norwegian maple leafs have the same shape as sugar maple leafs.  Sugar maples typically turn before oaks (even in the valley) so it's surprising that they would be turning at the same time.  You probably have some of the latest foliage in New England.

Doesn’t the bark tell the difference between the two?

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Doesn’t the bark tell the difference between the two?

Norway maple bark tends to be darker than that of sugar maple, and on larger trees bears a resemblance to the bark of white ash - shape only, as ash bark is much lighter in color.  Other differences include the sap during the growing season.  Break a Norway maple leaf from the stem and the sap is white; sugar maple will be clear.  (I recently learned that the opaque sap is only during the warm season, and Norways can be tapped for syrup.)  The winter key is bud shape, sugar maple pointed and Norway rounded.  Tough to see when the nearest buds are 50' off the ground. 

• Like 1